cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

I am perplexed by the complexity of configuring port forwarding on TG4482A. What used to be a simple task of entering the IP address of the destination device and port range now requires an Ignite app and selecting the device from the dropdown list. Unfortunately, 70% of devices on my network are listed as Offline, including the device I need to configure. All devices use DHCP, some with reservations based on MAC address. Has anyone successfully solved the mystery of devices being listed as offline when they are clearly connected and visible on the network? Changing the IP address and rebooting the gateway don't make a difference. The device may show up for a couple of minutes online before moving to the Offline list again. I saw some posts recommending restoring the gateway to the factory defaults, which is just plain dumb as it erases all custom configurations.

I would like to understand the mechanism behind the device's discovery process to configure the port forwarding.  A 2-minute task shouldn't take days to complete. So frustrating!

***ADDED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Port Forwarding

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

It is essential to mention that switching Rogers modem into bridge mode will disable Ignite WiFi boosting pods and disable Ignite WiFi Hub. It also affects Ignite TV.  So basically, in addition to a firewall, I would also need to buy a new WiFi AP and WiFi extenders to create a proper mesh in the house. However, I as much as I would like better firewall capabilities and more flexibility in managing devices, I will stick with the simple setup. As for my Port Forwarding issues, I used a USB WiFi adapter (in addition to a CAT5 connection) to register the device on the Ignite Hub. I was able to create a Port Forwarding rule immediately using  WiFi IP. Next, I removed the USB WiFI adapter and assigned its IP to the NIC on my device exposed to the Internet. It's a convoluted solution, but it worked. I wish Rogers would address the device discovery issues on Ignite gateway, though.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Best option: Bridge the Rogers modem/gateway and get/use your own router. Much more control over your requirements.

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

Yes, that would work, but I am already paying for Rogers hardware, and I don't see a point in adding more complexity and cost to my network to address this issue. Rogers needs to live up to their customer service commitment and develop a solution to the problem reported by multiple users.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

It won't add complexity to your network. Matter of fact it, in many cases, simplifies it by allowing you full control/better control over your network topology. Such as port forwarding, assigning status IPs, blocking IPs, etc.

Rogers caters to the lay person, 99.9% of their customer base, not higher skilled network customers like you and me.

Good Luck.

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

It is essential to mention that switching Rogers modem into bridge mode will disable Ignite WiFi boosting pods and disable Ignite WiFi Hub. It also affects Ignite TV.  So basically, in addition to a firewall, I would also need to buy a new WiFi AP and WiFi extenders to create a proper mesh in the house. However, I as much as I would like better firewall capabilities and more flexibility in managing devices, I will stick with the simple setup. As for my Port Forwarding issues, I used a USB WiFi adapter (in addition to a CAT5 connection) to register the device on the Ignite Hub. I was able to create a Port Forwarding rule immediately using  WiFi IP. Next, I removed the USB WiFI adapter and assigned its IP to the NIC on my device exposed to the Internet. It's a convoluted solution, but it worked. I wish Rogers would address the device discovery issues on Ignite gateway, though.

I have the same issue with Port Forwarding, Rogers wifi hub won't do it. I have a wifi6 mesh network with my own router. I would like the Rogers hub to forward specific ports numbers to my router. However easy the setup/ steps seems in the rogers hub, they don't work. (1) pick device, (2) enter port. Done. Doesn't work... you mention to Bridge the Rogers hub, so basically the Rogers hub is simply a pass thru, all traffic is controlled thru my router. If j can get that working, that would be great. Any instructions?

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

I am unsure what you are trying to accomplish by forwarding ports to the router. If you configure our Ignite Gateway into the Bridge mode,  you can control all port forwarding on your router. Keep in mind that the change will disable Wi-Fi on the Ignite Gateway and may affect Ignite TV service.  If you want to make the change, simply navigate to  Gateway > At a Glance page and enable Bridge Mode. However, to turn off the Bridge Mode if something goes wrong you will have to call Rogers Support.

Arekitect
I plan to stick around

I need to reply to my complaint about port forwarding. A technician performed a factory rest on my modem. Despite his assurances that "the app" saves all custom configurations, all settings were lost, including port forwarding config. When creating a new Port Forwarding rule, the Ignite app only allows selecting a device from a list of the CONNECTED devices. There is no option to enter an IP address manually. All devices I need to configure appear OFFLINE and are unavailable from the drop-down list. I understand that Rogers wanted to create a modern, easy experience with the new Ignite app but you CAN NOT drop usability when developing a new UX. My VoIP phone and security systems are offline because I can't open ports to the internet. It is soooooo frustrating. I don't see anyone who could find a solution to this problem.

Rogers, please listen and fix the app!

Cerunnnos
I've been here awhile

This thread is vindication of my utter absolute frustration with the Ignite system, and the app. It's beyond frustrating.

All of this is apparently possible if you're a business customer.

The thing is this - THIS HAS BEEN possible to configure for decades. And they've removed it for residential customers. It's poor business, and just another example of how out of touch Rogers is with an important section of their consumer base. They don't care. They won't do anything about it because they want us to pay more, period. 

If I could go back to Bell, I would. In a heart beat. Home3000 is a dream to configure.

rutlandtrevor
I've been here awhile

I was also forced to do a firmware update and lost the ability to port forward. I am not a full Rogers customer - only FWA. So I don't have the credentials to login to the Ignite app to reinstate my port forwarding (for RTSP / web cam).
I do have another router. If I change Rogers' to bridge mode and something goes wrong, can't I reset and use the default login printed on the Rogers' router base?

Greetings @rutlandtrevor!

Yes, you can always reset to factory defaults and revert to using the info printed on the bottom. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

rutlandtrevor
I've been here awhile

Thanks. That's what I thought, but some one from Rogers on this forum said you have to call support. Maybe that's for those who don't know how to do it.

nafr1
I've been here awhile

Hey guys.... I need some help regarding port forwarding as well. I just got the Rogers Ignite internet and they installed the Router Model# TG4482. Now my setup is such that I have my Rogers router running in Bridge Mode and I am using Amazon Eero. I have defined my port forwarding rules on the Eero but it doesn't forward anything. Just for a test, I also disabled the Bridge Mode on Rogers Router (both rogers router and eero have different SSID), Only wired connected Eero to the Roger's router and all my other devices are connected to Eero network. Now if I port forward from Rogers router to Eero (which already have port forwarding rules defined), my target PC does receives the request.. but when Rogers router is in bridge mode, the Port-Forwarding isn't working...

Example:

- TG4482 (Bridge Mode)   -> Eero (port forward 9999 to 192.168.10.10) doesn't work....

- TG4482 (Bridge Mode Disabled, port forward 9999 to Eero) -> Eero (port forward 9999 to 192.168.10.10).. works....

Ideally I would like to keep the TG4482 in bridge mode and do the port forwarding using eero.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Greetings @nafr1 ,

I'll tag in some of our more knowledgeable RE's so they can try to assist, if possible. 

@Datalink @-G- @Gdkitty 

Or if anyone else in the community has some advice, feel free to jump in here! 🙂

Cheers!

RogersYasmine

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nafr1 wrote:

Hey guys.... I need some help regarding port forwarding as well. I just got the Rogers Ignite internet and they installed the Router Model# TG4482. Now my setup is such that I have my Rogers router running in Bridge Mode and I am using Amazon Eero. I have defined my port forwarding rules on the Eero but it doesn't forward anything. Just for a test, I also disabled the Bridge Mode on Rogers Router (both rogers router and eero have different SSID), Only wired connected Eero to the Roger's router and all my other devices are connected to Eero network. Now if I port forward from Rogers router to Eero (which already have port forwarding rules defined), my target PC does receives the request.. but when Rogers router is in bridge mode, the Port-Forwarding isn't working...

Which IP address are you using for your test when the Ignite Gateway is in Bridge Mode?

- TG4482 (Bridge Mode Disabled, port forward 9999 to Eero) -> Eero (port forward 9999 to 192.168.10.10).. works....

In this case, you would be trying to connect to port 9999 on your Ignite gateway's WAN IP address.

- TG4482 (Bridge Mode)   -> Eero (port forward 9999 to 192.168.10.10) doesn't work....

With your Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode, your eero gateway will obtain its own unique IPv4 WAN address, and you will need to connect to port 9999 on that IP address.  You should be able to see the IP addresses that you get assigned in your eero app.  https://test-ipv6.com/ will also show you the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses that you are using to communicate with the world.

nafr1
I've been here awhile

Hello,

Actually the issue was on my end. I had setup the WAN IP as static in my Eero so that's why Eero wasn't getting it's own WAN IP. I set it to DHCP and everything worked fine.

Thanks very much.

Excellent! Glad to hear it's been resolved. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Whistlerwilly
I've been around

I just wish I had known of these problems with port forwarding Shaw's modem before I changed providers! I totally agree that they really need to find a solution to this problem. They are telling me they can provide a modem that will, for another $10 a month, or buy my own and bridge it. Then another support person tells me that the modem they are referring to for the extra money won't do it either. Not impressed to put it mildly!!!

What modem is the one that works with Rogers and has port forwarding working? I will have to go buy it, but I have pods so I wonder if it will break them

Greetings and good morning @MARKSAIDSO!

We currently do not sell any modems that our customers can purchase for Ignite Internet. You can only rent a modem from us.

You could however put our modem in bridge mode and then connect a router of your choosing to it instead.

Regards,

RogersCorey

mbehal
I've been here awhile

Hi Corey,

I am having trouble forwarding ports 3 port ranges

1194 - 1194        UPD/TCP -> Static IP address of my server

32400 -  32400   UPD/TCP -> Static IP address of my server

25565 - 25565    UPD/TCP -> Static IP address of my server

The only option is to use with Ignite app on the phone.   After I added the ports, the app shows "Updating Port Forward"....Please give us a moment.  This is going in circles without finishing

Topic Stats