cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting the speeds I was promised.

I've been around

Just got upgraded to XB8 and 1.5Gb service and performed a speed test from various providers and definitely not getting the speeds I was promised.  @Rogers is this how you upgrade clients internet service hoping the end-user wont check the service speeds? any suggestions, to get 1.5Gb speeds?

Support told me that its XB8 and is not a coaxial connection (and will be charging me 1 technical service fee of $175) which i declined and i told them its something i can do myself but the support rep told me its a new connection and i wont have the tools for it....really?  So, i get lied to multiple times, not to mention wasted a full day dealing with the change over and multiple support reps.

This is so disappointing and sad to see  @Rogers stooping to a new low.

dont want to ruin my weekend, but i will be calling for my credit Monday morning.

**Labels Added**

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Not getting the speeds I was promised.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@01110111 : A few questions and comments.

1. What speed were you getting before and what speed are you getting now.  

2. Are you using the Rogers Speedtest link (below)?

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/basic-internet-speedtest

3. Are you using WifFi or Ethernet.

4. Typical WiFi speeds are less than 1Gbps on most devices, usually around 600 Mbps and can vary with your WiFi with regard to obstructions, neighbour interference, etc.  Search the web for how to optimize WiFi.

5. Does your computer have an Ethernet card capable of more than 1 Mbps?  Many do not.

6. Are you connected via Ethernet to port 4 of the XB8, because that's the only port capable of more than 1 Gbps (typically 940 Mbps after overhead).

7. Do you have any devices that are capable of WiFi 6E?

8. Please read the following link post and several posts that follow for more information on why many people don't get more than 1 Gbps and how to do so.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588#M75402

9. Rogers almost always provides the speed you pay for and often more at the Gateway

10. The main reason for these higher speeds like 1.5 Gbps is for homes with many users so that each user has access to more bandwidth. Having more than 1 Gbps on a single device rarely has any benefit.

11. If you have a number of devices available, run the speed test on several devices at the same time and add up the individual numbers to get the overall speed to the home.  For example 600 Mbps on a phone, 600 on a tablet and 600 on a computer for 1.8 Gbps

Re: Not getting the speeds I was promised.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@01110111, just to confirm, you have Fibre to the Home which uses an Optical Network Terminal (fibre connected ONT) which then connects via ethernet to the XB8's port #4 (lower right hand port marked with an orange/red stripe)??

How are you testing for connected speeds, wifi or ethernet?

Assuming that you have FTTH, and that you have a fibre issue, you would need the equipment and knowledge to test and fix any fibre problems, including spicing fibre cables together?  If you don't have that capability, and actually have a fibre issue, then yes, you would need a tech with the equipment and knowledge to fix any fibre issues. 

More than likely, this might be a problem of understanding what FTTH and the XB8 can actually deliver to the customer, which is an aggregate 1.5 or 2.5 Gb/s, whichever the customer plan has subscribed.  That aggregate is the sum total of all data connections via ethernet and wifi outbound from the modem. 

The maximum data rate deliverable via ethernet depends on the connection type, coax or ethernet from the fibre ONT. 

With a coax connection the max raw data rate deliverable via ethernet from port 4 is 2.5 Gb/s, where port 4 is

operating as a LAN port.

With an ethernet connection via port 4 to a Nokia ONT, the max data rate deliverable via any of the other three

ports is approx 940 Mb/s, due to the overhead with the 1 Gb/s ports (1 to 3).  In this case port 4 operates as a

firewalled WAN port. It is the only port on the modem that supports FTTH ops.  And fwiw, that is how Comcast

designed the modem, so Rogers and any other licenced ISPs don't have any choice in that configuration.

The XB8 has Wifi 6e apparently which would require connected devices to also have Wifi 6e adapters onboard in order to take advantage of running 160 Mhz wide wifi channels in the 6 Ghz band.  So, the maximum data rate that you end up with via Wifi will depend on the Wifi adapter capabilities in your mobile devices.  Here's a link to a Tomsguide page that explains the difference between Wifi 6 and 6e:

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/wi-fi-6-vs-wi-fi-6e-whats-the-difference

Have a look at the following post regarding installing a router, directly connected to the ONT, so that you can run 1.5 or 2.5 Gb/s to the router and beyond the router if that is what you're looking for.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-to-disable-Rogers-Ignite-Wifi-Hub-remote-manageme...

Hope this helps to clear up any misconceptions about FTTH and the XB8.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation