cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers FTTH Service

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, this is interesting.  Just saw our first glimpse of an actual, modern Rogers FTTH service:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33078351-Internet-Finally-Rogers-FTTH-has-arrived

The picture shows a Nokia XS-020X-A ONT for connectivity.  I think the service is based on XGS-PON although Rogers may or may not offer a symmetric service.  Regardless, when this service finally arrives, it means good-bye, DOCSIS.

Apparently, Rogers will still provide an XB7 gateway.  The XB7's 2.5 GigE port will need to be configured as a WAN port and the XB7 must operate in gateway mode.

For "Bridge Mode" users, who prefer to use their own network gear, it will be interesting to see whether you can connect both an XB7 gateway AND your own router to the ONT.  Looks like the service will run just fine with your own router, so you can probably do away with the XB7 if you are an Internet-only customer.  Not sure what impact this may have on Ignite TV.  Ignite Home Phone still requires an Ignite Gateway.

(I'm still a bit surprised that Rogers did not go with a 10 Gigabit EPON service.  I also wasn't expecting to see the Nokia hardware.  Not that it isn't a fine choice... just not what I was expecting to see.)

***Edited Labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: New Rogers FTTH Service

RogersTony

Hello, @-G-

Thanks so much for posting this exciting news!

I know how awesome it is to use the latest and best technologies. A true fibre optic network will generate some pretty impressive speeds once it has been fully rolled out.

Once we have more details on how things will look we'll be sure to update the community.

RogersTony

timlocke
I plan to stick around
Awesome! I expect that it will be some time before it reaches, if it ever does, my street in Guelph by=ut it is nice to know it is being done somewhere.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I am very interested in this as I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with ping spikes over the last year and I use pfSense, it would be nice to completely get rid of the modem but I guess we will still need it since we have home phone. Unless Rogers is willing to provide some sort of ethernet VoIP gateway device I could plugin behind my own router 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stepy2015 wrote:

I am very interested in this as I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with ping spikes over the last year and I use pfSense, it would be nice to completely get rid of the modem but I guess we will still need it since we have home phone. Unless Rogers is willing to provide some sort of ethernet VoIP gateway device I could plugin behind my own router 

I can't see Rogers ever providing or supporting such a configuration for residential Home Phone, but who knows.  You also always have the option of purchasing your own VoIP ATA and using a service such as voip.ms.

Will also be interesting to see what hardware Rogers eventually offers to their Business customers.

ASimkins
I'm here a lot

Is this now standard for Rogers installs where the service is FTTH? I am having service moved and my new residents has both Rogers and Bell FTTB with fiber coiled in the basement at the electrical panel.

The previous residents had Rogers service and used a Lindsay LBON300AC to convert the optical termination to coax - will not be using Rogers TV or home phone service - just internet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ASimkins wrote:

Is this now standard for Rogers installs where the service is FTTH? I am having service moved and my new residents has both Rogers and Bell FTTB with fiber coiled in the basement at the electrical panel.

No, not yet.  This new FTTH service is only just starting to roll out in a few areas.  Older/existing "FTTH" neighbourhoods, that still get a copper-equivalent Rogers service delivered over fibre, will need to be upgraded first before the next-gen service can be installed.

The previous residents had Rogers service and used a Lindsay LBON300AC to convert the optical termination to coax - will not be using Rogers TV or home phone service - just internet.

That device is an RFoG ONU, so their Internet service still used DOCSIS and conventional cable modems.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

It would be great if my neighbourhood would get this.  I know Bell did FTTH about 2 years ago and more than 60% of my street are with Bell as Rogers hardware was problematic.

Does a FTTH Rogers connection mean no more coax cable needed?  How about if you want to place the modem in a different location than the typical basement?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 wrote:

It would be great if my neighbourhood would get this.  I know Bell did FTTH about 2 years ago and more than 60% of my street are with Bell as Rogers hardware was problematic.

Does a FTTH Rogers connection mean no more coax cable needed?  How about if you want to place the modem in a different location than the typical basement?

This new service is still in the VERY early stages of rolling out.  It is so new that the @CommunityHelps  team did not have any technical info on the equipment that was being deployed.  There's nothing on the Rogers support site either.

However, according to the picture of an actual installation that was posted, this next-gen service uses XG-PON (aka 10G PON aka 10Gb GPON) with an external Nokia ONT (Optical Network Terminal/Termination).  This is VERY different from RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass) deployments that still delivered Internet services using DOCSIS and old-fashioned cable modems.

With the new service, the fibre would get terminated next to the point of entry and the ONT would connect using a fibre patch cable.  In the standard setup, the Ignite Gateway (still required for Ignite Home Phone, Ignite WiFi and Ignite TV support) would then connect to the ONT using Ethernet.  (The Nokia ONT supports 1G and 2.5G/10G Ethernet connections.)  You could place the ONT in the basement and place your Ignite Gateway in the main living space.  These devices could also be placed anywhere that you can reach with fibre or Ethernet.  No more coax and no more DOCSIS with this setup.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

What about apartment buildings?

When Aliant FibreOP came out, they approached our building's owner, they wanted to deploy fibre to all the units, but then they asked the owner to pay out of his own pocket... he didn't want to, so we're stuck between DSL and DOCSIS 3.*

Will Rogers deploy fibre to all the unit at their own cost? Because all I see in ads, FAQ, etc... it says : It will be of no cost to you!

If Rogers won't pay for deployment in apartment buildings, will they support docsis for a few years to come? Or we'll be stuck with DSL only?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stefer009 wrote:

What about apartment buildings?

When Aliant FibreOP came out, they approached our building's owner, they wanted to deploy fibre to all the units, but then they asked the owner to pay out of his own pocket... he didn't want to, so we're stuck between DSL and DOCSIS 3.*

Those FAQs are for when Rogers expands into a residential subdivision, and in that case, they will bring fibre from the curb up to and into the home at no cost to the homeowner.  However, if you were to buy a house from a homeowner that did not allow the fibre crews onto their property, and you now want Rogers FTTH but the crews have long since gone, then that "at no cost to you" may no longer apply.

Apartment and multi-tenant buildings are also a unique case.  The service provider needs permission from the building owner to do their work.  If the building will require extensive retrofits for a fibre installation, the service provider would almost certainly expect the building owner to pay for at least some portion of the costs to do that work.  If any discussions or negotiations with the building owner do not go well, the service provider will most likely, eventually, also move on.

c_snapper
I've been here awhile

I'm moving to a new build condo in the High Park area of Toronto.

I had my pre delivery inspection yesterday and see that we have a communications demarcation point in the front hall closet with strings all in place to fish wires and what looks like a Rogers Fibre cable dangling.

I have read some early condo documentation that Rogers internet is included in our fees and we can get more services if we choose so I'm guessing Rogers and the builder/developer had a deal to get fibre brought into the building and the suites are pre-wired for it.

I'm hoping to see what plans are available soon!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@c_snapper wrote:

I'm moving to a new build condo in the High Park area of Toronto.

I had my pre delivery inspection yesterday and see that we have a communications demarcation point in the front hall closet with strings all in place to fish wires and what looks like a Rogers Fibre cable dangling.

Interesting!  That you have fibre in your unit is a very good thing.  If it has a Rogers tag on it, even better!

I have read some early condo documentation that Rogers internet is included in our fees and we can get more services if we choose so I'm guessing Rogers and the builder/developer had a deal to get fibre brought into the building and the suites are pre-wired for it.

I'm hoping to see what plans are available soon!

Rogers Internet, not a TV service.  Also interesting, and a good sign.

When will you be moving in?

Congratulations on your purchase and best of luck with your move!  Looking forward to your next update here!

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I was just doing some reading about the Rogers 8 Gb service.  Apparently it comes with a switch that connects to the ONT, but customers are free to use their own switch.  They're also free to use their own router.  Here's some info from their web site:

"The Ethernet switch provided offers advanced speeds and flexibility with multiple copper Ethernet ports, each port capable supporting speeds of up to 10 Gigabits per second for a single device (subject to internet subscription and end device capabilities).

Ensure that quality Cat6a Ethernet cables are used to enable the full speed capability and keep in mind that each port offers a distinct public IP address resulting in an independent connection for each device.

The Ethernet switch can be used to directly connect devices such as gaming consoles, workstations, or entertainment systems, as well as the Ignite WiFi Gateway modem which offers additional Gigabit Ethernet ports and the world’s most powerful WiFi technology – WiFi 6E - to connect wired and wireless devices.

Devices connected to the Gateway can also communicate with one another on a single network and enjoy the added 24/7 protection of Advanced Security2 and other features of the Ignite WiFi Hub app."

https://www.rogers.com/ignite-internet-8-gigabit?icid=R_IGN_2II_1ED82J

JKnott

"What about apartment buildings?"

Apartment buildings take a lot of work to recable.  However, my condo should be easy to do as I have 2 1" conduits from my unit to the utility room and they only have a single run of coax each.  It would be trivial to pull the fibre in, while pulling out the coax.

JKnott

I'm curious about the hardware side of things.  I'm in a condo, but it's easy to get the fibre up from the utility room.  I have 2 conduits, each with a single coax cable, so the coax could be used to pull the fibre through.  The coax terminates on a typical wall plate.  Does the fibre fit a "keystone" wall plate?

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation