cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network issue, or failing hardware?

DJW_1057
I've been around

(Moderator action: Post merged to appropriate board)

In the past 2-3 months I have had intermittent problems with my Internet going down--antenna signal replaced with wireframe world globe and 'No internet' popup when I mouse over the taskbar icon.  Some weeks only 1 or 2 incidents, most 2 or 3 incidents, detected when youtube videos start spinning the white circle icon indicating slow or lost connection, and clicking on the taskbar Internet icon shows my network to be gone.  Sometimes neighbours' networks are gone, too, so instead of seeing about 8 nearby accounts, I only see 2 or 3.  Usually this will recover after 2-4 minutes.  Sometimes I have reset my modem and router, but I do not know that this has made any difference in getting the network back.  This morning, between ~0800h and ~1030h, I have had enough of these failures--at least 6 or 7--to be concerned.  

Question is, does this sound like a network issue from outside my system, or could it mean that either my modem or router are failing?  

**Labels Added**

1 REPLY 1

Re: Network issue, or failing hardware?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DJW_1057 wrote:

Sometimes neighbours' networks are gone, too, so instead of seeing about 8 nearby accounts, I only see 2 or 3.  Usually this will recover after 2-4 minutes.

That is a very interesting observation.  You can use the MAC Vendor Lookup or the Wireshark OUI Lookup tools to lookup the BSSID MAC address of nearby Wi-Fi networks.  If it is assigned to Technicolor or Hitron, then that is a Rogers gateway.  If all of those Wi-Fi networks go off the air at the time time, then that sure points to some sort of local issue/event on the Rogers network that is causing all of those modems to reset at the same time.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation