cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Ping Spikes

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

I am on Rogers Ignite 1.5 Gbps. Richmond Hill area.

Issue: Massive ping spikes (spikes up to 2000+ ms) once every minute or so, online games are completely unplayable, freezes (due to massive lag) during that couple seconds.

Same for Wired and Wireless, also tested on multiple devices.

Using default ignite modem. Never had this problem, been using for months. The issue just started today, nothing has changed.

image.png

Example.

Was on the phone with support, they saw the problem from their end too, but they said they could only escalate it and couldn't send technician? 

***Edited Labels***

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Massive Ping Spikes

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around
This never happened before until today. Didn't change anything.

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

image.png

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

ran packetstats test entire night, issue still persists even now at almost 5am.. just ping spiking up to 1000+ ms briefly every couple minutes

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

factory reset the modem, disconnected every single device, only leaving one device at a time, tested on pc and mobile, and also both together. 

issue still persists. in fact when i test pc and mobile together, the ping spikes happen at the same time so it is coming from the rogers network, not my hardware related.

dropping in on a quick update, the issue mostly went away after a few days. ping spikes still happen but only from like 30 to 60, no longer at the thousands.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Coming in a little late on this.  Glad it seemed to sort itself out.

In a case like this, its sometimes hard to track down where the issues is.
Really, would need to ping something CLOSER (That one appears to test to new york?) and see if the increased ping is happening.   Might then lead to it being direct on rogers network.

Otherwise, the issue MIGHT be not on rogers network.   Once it leaves the rogers network.. outside rogers maybe changing the routing (if available) they cant always fix it.

In the case when these are happening, sometimes best to run a TRACEROUTE, which should ping all the hops along the way from the start to end server (you do need to know the end servers IP).
But this should show along the way if there is a specific issue along the way.

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

I want to say the issue is still here now, returned pretty quickly just didn't update here.. although it mostly spikes to ~250ms instead of thousands like when I first posted..

Same thing happens if I ping google.com, or cloudflare, or using packetstats etc. Just a brief spike of hundreds ms every once a while, sometimes it is once every 30 seconds, sometimes it is once every few minutes or longer..

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

when I run tracert google.com, one of the 7th row often returns a *

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

Pinging

pinginaasdasdimage.png

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

Just pinging google for example^ spikes to 200 once a while.. competitive games are not playable..

If you play competitively, you need fibre or DSL/VDSL.  DOCSIS is a poor third choice.  If you're a competative gamer, then you should consider a second installation which will drop the latency.  Use Rogers DOCSIS for upload and downloads, something else (fibre or DSL/VDSL) for gaming.  

I hope that you're using ethernet to the modem, not wifi.  Wifi will increase the latency.  

There is a low latency spec written into DOCSIS now.  I don't expect to see it used by Rogers.  Comcast is experimenting with it.  I haven't kept track of the following thread, but, from what I remember, there isn't much enthusiasm for the results to date:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33691889-Connectivity-It-Begins-Ultra-Low-Latency-Trials-Announced

Edit:  reading thru some of the comments in that thread reminded me that there has never been any discussion within the forum regarding peering and routing, both of which are of key interest to the gaming community.  The moderators used to host "Ask an Expert" sessions every once in a while, where one or more Rogers staff members with expertise in some area would be invited to participate in an online discussion with the forum members.  Its been a very long while since that type of session has occurred here in the forum.  Routing and peering are key components of gaming latency, or any latency where you're crossing ISP boundaries, enroute to somewhere.   And to date, Rogers customers are still uninformed as to which ISPs that Rogers peers with, and which companies, other that Cogent in the U.S., carries Rogers traffic. 

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

you are overcomplicating this, I don't need top of the line ultra low latency. Ping spiking to hundreds every minute is unacceptable and not normal at all. This never happened until recently.

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

The issue is the spikes, the latency 99% of the rest of the time is completely fine

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

image.png

In Newmarket and have had a ticket in for a week. From what I gather, It won't be fixed. Switch to fibre if you can. 

Unfortunately, Bell doesn't offer fibre in my neighborhood and the rollout of our local fibre option (Telmax) has been rocky. 

For the time being, I currently take my zoom calls via Telus cellphone and limit gaming to mostly single player. 

I have the same issues starting this week, did you find a fix yet?

Twendelboe
I plan to stick around

In Newmarket and have had a ticket in for a week. From what I gather, It won't be fixed. Switch ISPs to Fibre or even ADSL if fibre isn't available. 

Rogers cable (or a reseller) is literally my only choice and I am excited for the continued rollout of a local fibre option. 

For the time being, I currently take my zoom calls via Telus cellphone and limit gaming to mostly single player. 

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around
Where are you located?

It's getting worse, getting 10000ms ping sometimes now

On a contract

57LateralRaises
I plan to stick around

image.png

Topic Stats