cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local control of modem settings

mskala
I'm here a lot

I recently had some trouble with connecting a laptop to my wi-fi, and logged into the cable modem admin interface to make sure everything was as it should be.  What I found was that large sections of the admin interface are now locked out, displaying instead a message telling me to use an "app" or log into the Ignite Web site to adjust my settings.  I do not use a smart phone and the Ignite Web site refuses my browser - telling me to use a bleeding-edge Firefox or Chrome, neither of which I'm willing to use.  (Even a two-year-old Firefox is apparently too old for them.)  I don't know how recently this change was made because I don't log in to the admin interface often, but I know that when I first got the connection, years ago, I had full control in the cable modem admin interface and was never told to go to a Web site instead.

Although my network basically works now, it appears I can't change the settings anymore without running software that I'm not willing to run and going through the Ignite Web site, and that's not a sustainable situation.  At the price I'm paying for Internet service, I want local control.  Is there an easy way around this situation?  Would swapping out the cable modem for a different one help, if that's even possible?  Can it be factory reset to a state that does not have the new lock-outs on the local configuration pages?  Or does it just come down to, I'll have to leave Rogers and deal with some other ISP to get an Internet connection that I can really configure locally?

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Local control of modem settings

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mskala wrote:

I recently had some trouble with connecting a laptop to my wi-fi, and logged into the cable modem admin interface to make sure everything was as it should be.  What I found was that large sections of the admin interface are now locked out, displaying instead a message telling me to use an "app" or log into the Ignite Web site to adjust my settings.  I do not use a smart phone and the Ignite Web site refuses my browser - telling me to use a bleeding-edge Firefox or Chrome, neither of which I'm willing to use.  (Even a two-year-old Firefox is apparently too old for them.)  I don't know how recently this change was made because I don't log in to the admin interface often, but I know that when I first got the connection, years ago, I had full control in the cable modem admin interface and was never told to go to a Web site instead.

For at least the past year, Rogers has been enabling the Ignite WiFi Hub by default and as long as you don't have Ignite WiFi Pods installed, you should still have access to most of your WiFi settings.

You should be able to log into the WiFi Hub portal using any modern web browser.  I know that Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Vivaldi all work.  I hope that you are using something other than a 2-year-old version of Firefox to browse the web.

Although my network basically works now, it appears I can't change the settings anymore without running software that I'm not willing to run and going through the Ignite Web site, and that's not a sustainable situation.  At the price I'm paying for Internet service, I want local control.  Is there an easy way around this situation?  Would swapping out the cable modem for a different one help, if that's even possible?  Can it be factory reset to a state that does not have the new lock-outs on the local configuration pages?  Or does it just come down to, I'll have to leave Rogers and deal with some other ISP to get an Internet connection that I can really configure locally?

Unfortunately, swapping the Ignite modem/gateway will not make any difference.  You may be able to persuade Rogers to disable the Ignite WiFi Hub on your account.   However, as long as it remains enabled, you will lose local access to some or all WiFi settings.

Your other option would be to install your own router/Wi-Fi and enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway.

I really hope that Rogers could be more flexible and make disabling the Ignite WiFi Hub an option in MyRogers.  All those Ignite Internet bells and whistles are great for many customers, since it simplifies and automates the task of managing their in-home network and makes it easier for Rogers to support their customers.  However, Rogers also needs to be able to cater to customers with more advanced networking needs, who want full local control over their equipment, full visibility into how their network is performing, more configuration options, and a perhaps the option to also use a simple standalone cable modem rather than a Rogers-provided gateway.  For them, the Comcast-designed hardware, software and services are too simplistic and a huge source of frustration.

mskala
I'm here a lot

Thanks for your help.  It sounds like disabling Ignite Wifi Hub is what I need, and it'll be interesting to see whether Rogers can do that for me.

mskala
I'm here a lot

For what it's worth, the stated requirement for connecting to the Ignite Web site is Firefox 55.  I've tried versions 67 and 78 and get nothing but an error page telling me to "upgrade."

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation