cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and ping in video games

BB3CH
I've been around

I play a lot of video games, and one of the main things is your ping/latency its basically the amount of time it takes to send your inputs to the server, i used to get around 15-20 which is pretty good since i dont play professionally, but for some reason, a couple of months ago i started to average 38, this is very annoying, im connected via ethernet with a wifi extender and always have been, on the same extender i had 15-20 now i get 38-60, i dont know if its because my wifi extender is a bit old, but all I want is a reason on to why my rogers internet is very slow in video games, and possible fixes would be great, if its not fixable i understand. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Latency and ping in video games

RogersMoin

Hello, @BB3CH.

Welcome to our Community, and thank you for your detailed post.

I assume you can't be hardwired directly to your gateway modem; hence, use the WiFi extender. A wired connection directly to your modem is ideal for gaming. An added latency will be introduced between the gateway modem and your WiFi extender.

While I can't comment on your WiFi extender, it's possibly not connecting to an optimal channel. You can unplug/plug it to see if it negotiates an optimal channel while connecting to the modem. You can also check to see if there is a pending update on your WiFi extender.

Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation