cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite WiFi Gateway/Xbox Series X - streaming, gaming, web browser not working while hardwired

nickcz
I'm here a lot

I just received a new Rogers Ignite Gateway modem. 

Everything is working fine EXCEPT my Xbox Series X hardwired into the modem. 

I am connected to the Internet, but cannot play online games, stream video or browse the web.

I can do all of this on the Xbox while on wifi, though. Neither Rogers or Microsoft Support has been able to get to the bottom of it. 

Troubleshooting I have tried:

Restarting Xbox and modem multiple times. 

Factory reset of Xbox. 

Apple TV hardwired to modem works perfectly fine. 

All other devices on wifi work just fine (iPhone, laptop, printer, Xbox when connected wirelessly)

The modem I had this morning was working perfectly fine when hardwired. It feels like it must be the new modem. 

Microsoft support suggested on Network settings that I manually input:

DNS primary 8.8.8.8

DNS Secondary 8.8.4.4

And manually select a port selection. I landed on 57051.

I know I can use this just fine on wifi, but it's very frustrating that I just paid to upgrade and can't get a hardwired connection to the Xbox to work properly. 

Any ideas?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway/Xbox Series X - streaming, gaming, web browser not working while hardwired

nickcz
I'm here a lot

Hi all,

The problem was solved by receiving a new modem. Whatever was going on, it's now totally working with the new modem I received. Thanks for your feedback and willingness to help. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway/Xbox Series X - streaming, gaming, web browser not working while hardwired

RogersYasmine

Hello @nickcz,

Welcome to the community and congrats on this being your first post! We hope there'll be much more to come. 🙂

This definitely sounds like an odd one but there must be a reasonable explanation as to what is causing it. We'll do our best to help troubleshoot this with ya!

Based on what you've described, if you've already tried hardwiring other devices to your new Ignite modem using the same port and they are running fine, I don't believe the issue would be with the modem itself.

If possible, can you please try to reseat the cable? Try a 180 degree flip of the cables (reversing the ends). Let us know if this makes any difference. Also try using the other Ethernet interface ports (although, if the Apple TV worked on the first port you tried, the Xbox should technically work too). But let's start here and see what the result is.

Please keep us posted!

RogersLaura

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried both ports and did the 180 flip. Same problem. 

I didn't mention that when I use the Xbox test to see if I'm connected it says that I am. I can see my friends online, I am online in Xbox live. I can't stream or connect to online game servers thought. 

When I test Multiplayer Connection I get either:

You have packet loss. 

Or 

Cannot find a Teredo IP address. 

This happens with manual or automatic DNS settings. 

And, as always, everything works completely fine on the wifi. It's only when I hard wire in that this problem arises. 

snorlax
I plan to stick around

Since we are all stumped and I haven't seen this mentioned...Is the XBox set for DHCP which would allow the modem to assign it an IP address.  If not it may be stuck on some random IP address or a previously set static IP address.  Look for the DHCP setting in the Xbox and select it if it isn't already selected.

Hi there. What do you mean "set for DHCP"? I can't find something for that on my Xbox. 

FYI, I have tried my other Xbox, which is an Xbox One and the same thing happens. Works fine on wifi, but doesn't stream, or connect to online games on hardwired ethernet. 

snorlax
I plan to stick around

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.  It basicly is a setting on a device connected to a modem or gateway that says to the modem "you give me an IP address" rather than I will pick one for myself.  I was suggesting maybe the XBox has picked its own IP address and the modem doesn't like it,

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining that. I'm not sure where I can change whether that happens or not on the Xbox. For the IP settings on the Xbox it can be automatic, or manual. 

Most recent Rogers Tech support update is that they think the modem I have does not send a strong enough signal via ethernet to the xbox, so he suggested the second generation. After being on the phone for about 2 hours, customer service eventually told me they don't have the second gen yet and to just use wifi for now. 

Not really a solution.

I would be surprised if every Xbox user that's a Rogers customer has this issue with the modem. That seems unlikely to me. 

snorlax
I plan to stick around

Automatic is the DHCP setting.  When you select that you don't input an IP address.  The modem supplies it.  If you set it for manual it will prompt you for an IP address.  You normally wouldn't want that unless there was some reason to pick your own.

intcountzero
I plan to stick around

If Wifi works, my guess is that DHCP is ok?

What about replacing the cable with something higher calibur? 

Hi intcountzero. 

I used the Ethernet cable I had previously connected to the modem and Xbox and also tried the new one that came with the new Gateway modem. I tried both, on both Xboxes and also did a 180 flip on both cables. Same result every time. Weak, or compromised connection. 

nickcz
I'm here a lot

Hi all,

The problem was solved by receiving a new modem. Whatever was going on, it's now totally working with the new modem I received. Thanks for your feedback and willingness to help. 

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation