cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

glenn5
I plan to stick around

Just got Rogers Ignite internet package, and when I get on the computer after sitting idle for a while or overnight, I tend to lose the interconnection which also takes out the TV's and the WIFI, it will eventually reconnect after a few minutes, the odd time I wasn't on the computer and would lose the TV's and wifi connection.  Called Rogers tech dept. they did send me a new modem to switch out, but still have the problem, rogers says line signal is good a ticket to further investigate. 

Was wondering if there is something to do with the computer itself, such as the WIFI adapter?  I have the Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCle.  Everything was working great when I was with Bell, but since switching to the Rogers Ignite WIFI Gateway, I've been having these connection issues.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

*Added Labels*

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

@RogersCorey wrote:

You may want to consider getting a newer adaptor if you're having troubles with this one.

802.11b/g is older tech and does not have the same range as newer WiFi tech does. If you have older equipment that only supports b/g, then you may need to tweak your settings to get it to work.

@kirknesbitt  was just following previous suggestions in this thread.

Apparently, some newer computers (with Wi-Fi 6 chipsets?) were triggering resets on the Technicolor XB6 gateways when they connected on the 5 GHz band, and the recommended workaround was to configure the computer to connect only on the 2.4 GHz band.

Nobody from Rogers has ever posted any updates or follow-ups so we do not know whether or not this is is still an ongoing issue.  It is possible that the problem may have been fixed in firmware but it is also possible that there could be an unfixable design flaw in the XB6's Wi-Fi chipset.

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

copasetic
I've been around

Hi, all.

I'm having this problem, where, when I'm using my new laptop (Acer Predator Helios 300 running Windows 10), the wifi in our house intermittently disconnects for all devices, stays disconnected for several minutes, and then reconnects. It happens consistently until I put the laptop back in sleep mode. We have Ignite internet on a Rocket modem, and the laptop's Wifi adaptor is a Killer AX1650i, not Realtek as in the other thread discussing this issue. We don't have any third-party equipment running, and no changes were made to our equipment setup. I'm currently using the laptop about 6 feet from the router, and have it in my line of sight.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey @copasetic!

Welcome to the community :)!

It's certainly an intriguing issue. Given the rarity of it I'm inclined to potentially link it to driver firmware. Just out of curiosity have you spoken with any PC Tech support or attempted to upgrade/downgrade the firmware of your Killer WiFi Adapter? It's been a while since I've used one personally but I believe they do have a QoS like functionality in the software that prioritizes the devices connection for what they refer to as a gaming feature.
Not entirely certain if that's the source of the issue but it might be a good place to start. I hope this helps!

@RogersAndy

I just came across these posts looking for a solution to this problem. My internet connection would randomly drop for a few minutes a couple of times a day. Usually it would come back, but sometimes the TV modem would need to be reset. It was mostly a pain but finally I'd had enough, called Rogers, and got a new modem. It didn't even work for one day before the problem reappeared. 

I connect to the modem with a wired link, but also have about 5 other devices using WiFi (iPhones, Android phones, Surface laptop, Huwawei tablet) so I'm not inclined to try and debug all the WiFi adaptors in my house. To note: It's the internet connection that seems to go down, as my main PC also disconnects.

Not sure of my next steps, but to answer the question posed earlier in the thread - this is still happening

Glenn,

You wrote " I had to change the field in the Wireless mode to 802.11g..." I am not that computer savvy and wondered where I would go to do that. Is that a setting somewhere on my PC or is it on the actual modem? Whatever help you can provide would be much appreciated.... could you please send along whatever info you have to me at this address? - (email address removed - Keep personal info private - RogersMoin) Thanks in advance!

Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 11 in conversation