cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Gigabit upgrade lower speed than my 500 plan!

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

Hi all, I had no issue with my 500 mbps plan (speeds of 420 plus) however i took a promotion to cut costs and was offered the gigabit internet and now can't reach 300 mbps

Happened as soon as the agent flipped the switch, same variables. I had testing during our chat session (although I knew my speeds were good  from many previous tests) and then immediately after, instant reduction to under 300, For the price savings I wasn't expecting double speeds of course but i also wasn't expecting a 30% slower speed

The agent that flipped the switch wanted me to hardwire a connection to my modem and test however logically there was one thing that happened for the drop from one minute to the next - so i just told her I would monitor.

I didn't want to hijack another post that had the same problem reaching 300 mbps, has anyone had this issue when UPGRADING?

Thank you all

*Added Labels*

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Ignite Gigabit upgrade lower speed than my 500 plan!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sqottawa did you reboot/restart the modem after the config change?  If not, try that to see what happens.  When the modem reboots/restarts, a new configuration file is downloaded.  Although the speed change appears to have caused a drop in the data rate, see what happens after a modem reboot/restart.

If that doesn't work, then you should send a complaint to the moderators as this would point to either a backend or modem bug that causes data rate problems after a change in the modem's configuration.  Your previous speeds prove that the modem and the cable signal levels are capable of running at higher speeds.  The only change so far is the modem's configuration.

If a modem reboot/restart doesn't solve the problem, consider running a factory reset which should wipe out any previous configurations and settings and download a new configuration file. 

To reboot/restart the modem, either log into the modem and initiate a reboot, or, pull the power from the modem for 15 seconds and then plug it back into the wall socket. 

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

Thanks very much, currently passed to 2nd level support by Rogers

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

update: they created a ticket for node congestion in our area, I'm not confident that is my issue however, everything was fine in my old plan but I'm not a techie but just an old chunk of coal. I'll let the experts do their thing

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

Well. I don't know what to say, I hit a brick wall no matter who I talk to at Rogers. bottom line - be happy with your speed! 

Image removed due to privacy. Please see Keep personal info private.

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

images of my chat removed due to privacy - wiill re upload and block their name

Image removed due to privacy. Please see Keep personal info private.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sqottawa  Which Ignite gateway do you have, and are you performing a speed test over a wired Ethernet connection or over Wi-Fi?

I have always been able to attain full speeds with an Ethernet-connected computer.  However, Wi-Fi on the Technicolor gateways can be problematic with some devices.  And yes, I too have seen Wi-Fi throughput top out at 250 Mb/s AND exceed 950 Mb/s with the same hardware.

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

Hi G, Thanks for this  I will check gateway, I have always been 400ish plus  MBS over wifi (with my old 500) plan , as stated as soon as the Rogers flipped the switch to 1 Gigabit - instant reduction in speed, No other variables changed, 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, okay.  So this was not a switch from legacy Rogers Internet to Ignite Internet; just a speed upgrade.  You definitely should not see a speed drop as a result.

That said, the first thing to check is the maximum speed that you can attain over wired Ethernet.  You should see speeds top out at 945 Mb/s.

In my case, both my Mac and my PC had a weird incompatibility with the Broadcom Wi-Fi hardware on the Technicolor gateways.  With Wi-Fi, funny things can happen at the protocol level, especially if the transmit/receive link speeds on the Wi-Fi link fluctuate dramatically.  Your computer sees less of a difference with a slower Internet speed but will react differently with Gigabit Internet.  On my Windows PC, with an Intel Wi-Fi card, I got better stability after I installed updated Wi-Fi drivers that I downloaded directly from Intel.  However the Wi-Fi driver on the Ignite gateway was still doing some weird things, and that required a fix from Comcast.

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

thanks for this!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sqottawa wrote:

thanks for this!

No problem.  However, if you could share more details, which model of Ignite gateway that you have and more details about the computer or device that is seeing low throughput over Wi-Fi, I might be able to help further.

I presume that you have an XB7-T / CGM4331ROG.  However, I am not aware of any major stability issues with that gateway.

As I said before, with the latest Ignite gateways, it is really important that the drivers for your Wi-Fi hardware are up to date: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/update-wifi-driver

sqottawa
I plan to stick around

Thanks I updated my WI-Fi adaptor, didn't help with the speed but i was due to upgrade a few driver! so thanks for that! lol

My android box is downloading at max speeds of 100 or so mbps (Xbox pass so i download and do some gaming) I notice it there as well, I don't mind waiting 3 or 4 times longer but I wish I wouldn't have 'upgraded'

The model of my gateway is CGM4140COM

Appreciate  your assistance

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sqottawa wrote:

The model of my gateway is CGM4140COM

That's a Technicolor XB6.  It is a Wi-Fi 5 wireless gateway so your Wi-Fi speeds will top out at 600 - 650 Mb/s.  However, if you are only getting 100 Mb/s of throughput, are you sure that the device is connecting on the 5 GHz band?  Also, have you tried testing with a wired Ethernet connection to see whether your slow speeds are due to poor Wi-Fi conditions or a slow Internet service?

With a Gigabit Internet service, you qualify for an XB7 gateway.  You could ask Rogers to upgrade your XB6, although it may not actually perform any better, depending on the underlying cause of your slow speeds.

perseus71
I've been around

I am dealing with the exact same thing. I took screen shots from speedtest.net before they disconnected my Hitron modem and it was ~800 down and 35 up. . I've even hit 1.1 Gbps from time to time, all this on a 500 plan. This was not a direct connection to the modem but in bridged mode and into a Linksys EA6500. Now direct into the new Gen 2 Ignite modem I get 200 - 300 maybe 400 and even worse when I bridge it and use my router. They tell me this is normal and it works. 

Edit, I have reset by holding the WP button for 30 seconds, I have held that button while plugging in to completely reset the modem. I have rebooted and reset so much my internet has been down while rebooting more than it has been up.

edit #2, I am wired only when reaching these speeds of the past... never over wifi.

Greetings @perseus71!

I'd like to run some tests on your connection and get to the root of this problem for you.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

_0101_
I plan to stick around

My upgrade did this same thing in December, turned out to be due to the phone rep who set it up didnt do  it correct. When I called back a few days later the new rep reapplied the 500 plan it it worked properly.

All has been good but Now I'm seeing a sudden and drastic reduced upload rate but i'm not sure if it warrants a support ticket or not.

Hello, @_0101_.

I appreciate you joining this thread and sharing your upload speed concern. We can investigate this issue for you and take the next step in addressing it. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. We detailed more info about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

_0101_
I plan to stick around

OK I've sent a message, the issue is even worse today, I'm seeing pings of over 500 where usually it's 30ms. It's affecting my communications at home now.  I've requested the incoming cable be investigated at my house, there is provisions for running a new cable underground.

Hello @_0101_,

I see that you've connected with one of the moderators via private message. We're happy to continue the conversation on there.

RogersZia

perisic
I've been here awhile

Had the exact same issue as you did. I had 150u getting around 300 down via ethernet.  Just upgraded to 500u and was getting about 600 down, but now i cant even touch 200. I'll try the reset and see what happens

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 9 in conversation