Ever since I've had Ignite, NAT loopback has been working surprisingly fine. Then all of a sudden, nothing!
Anyone else has started having problems recently? Only using the CGM4140 , no bridge mode, nothing. It worked flawlessly.
Well, there's a couple of self hosted services (only accessed by me), that I sometimes access from my phone and/or tablet when I'm not home. All through a reverse proxy (self hosted) to add ssl. I've got a domain that points to my home. Remotely, all is fine and dandy. At home, it worked before the last couple of days. Yes, I know, I could just access it directly to the LAN private IP of the machine, BUT since the service is configured to expect SSL, it has to go through the reverse proxy, which is expecting... being called from a subdomain.mydomain.com ... On my PC, i just edited the host file in Windows, so that fixed it... but on my cell and tablet... that's another story. SO I tried hosting pihole in a docker image, and change the DNS of my phone and tablet to my pihole instance, having set up a local host in pihole for my domain, to point to the machine it's suppose to go to, but for some reason, my cellphone accesses pihole for everything BUT my domain. And i shut off my cellphone to clear the DNS cache, waited, rebooted, but still, doesn't check with pihole for the DNS...
So yeah... I might be asking too much for this setup... i eventually want to set my modem to bridge mode and get a router that supports NAT loopback anyway. It's just odd that it randomly stopped, since it's been working for almost 2 years.
I'll have to test when I get home..
I have a minecraft server set up for my son on my desktop.
I can (or at least COULD as of a few days ago) access it, by putting in the EXTERNAL IP on my laptop or through other devices which can play it (phone, etc) while in the house.
Only device it has never worked on, is trying it on the device (desktop) itself.
Its a shame that the Rogers loopback feature is now lost. Bell HomeHub 3000 also did not have a loopback/NAT hairpin capability.
Possible workarounds include( adding to other post solutions.)
1. Internal IP address direct connection to servers( 192.168.x.x). This will work for fixed devices like desktops but not for phones and laptops that are moved in and out of the home networks. May have some issues with ssl certificates.
2. Dual WAN as proposed by others with selective routing.
3. bridged mode with a router that supports hairpin NATS. Most commercial routers I believe have this capability.
4. Use a VPN for devices within the home network. ie Nord or Express VPN on the device. This should work for phones and laptops.
I've had this setup working flawlessly for about 3 years.
NAS on local network hosting websites. All websites were accessible from inside the local network and externally using the fully qualified domain name.
As of last week, where nothing has changed locally, those sites are no longer accessible from inside the local network. All is still fine externally though.
If I use the local IP of the NAS, I am able to access the websites but not with the FQDN from the local network.
I've looked at the port forwarding on the gateway and all is setup fine there, nothing changed.
Something has changed somewhere, but what and where I can't put my finger on.
I've seen a few posts here about similar issues but those were more focused on initial setup and not related to a configuration that was working and then isn't.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I believe I am having the same issue.
Websites hosted on local NAS. They can still be accessed externally but not within the local network using the FQDN, but it works with the local IP which is not a solution for the sites hosted.
This changed sometime last week.
I ran into the same issue this week. I blew a day thinking it was a problem with my server only to finally figure out it was the loop back that stopped working. I have an SSL certificate so using the local IP# doesn't work as the security certificate fails. I have to connect through my phone data to access my domain properly. Rogers shouldn't just make changes like this when it can impact their customers and when it does they should support us. Suggesting we implement workarounds for a function they took away isn't good customer service.