cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Gen 2 won't wireless connect to XBOX 360 or PS 3

penski
I've been here awhile

Anyone know how I can help my son connect wirelessly his XBOX 360 to our Ignite gen 2 modem?
we have always been able to connect wireless (old BELL modem, previous Rogers modem all connected wirelessly no problem)
The x360 sees the modem, 4 bars showing for reception, select, enter password and then get

IP Address ERROR message....
XBOX help wasn't helpful.  
same issue on the PS3 he has as well.  
Thinking new modem settings too advanced for these relics, but if anyone has a suggestion would love to hear it.
(He has newer consoles and they work fine, but he loves his old school stuff!)
Thanks

*** Edited Labels ***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ignite Gen 2 won't wireless connect to XBOX 360 or PS 3

RogersMaude

Good day @penski,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post! I understand your desire your connect your favorite devicesto your WiFi network.

Rogers modems are dual-band devices, meaning they generate two Wi-Fi networks (frequency bands) at the same time to help maximize signal strength and speed for multiple devices. For newer laptops, tablets and smartphones that support connectivity to both bands, you should see two options to connect to your modem when you check for available Wi-Fi networks: one for the common 2.4 GHz band and another for the less common 5 GHz band.

Have you tried to check out this article to Understand Dual-Band and Band Steering?

Please let us know the troubleshooting steps you've noticed so far. We want to help yo resolve this!

RogersMaude

penski
I've been here awhile

I checked and it is set to allow dual for common password.
Any other suggestions?

TY

Hi @penski!

As far as I'm aware, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are single band devices while your modem is set to dual band. In addition, both these consoles only support a 2.4Ghz connection.

Ideally, you should be connecting your consoles with Ethernet instead as you won't encounter compatibility issues that way. However, if you want to use WiFi on these older consoles, you'll need to disable dual band on your modem which will separate your 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks. Then you can attempt to connect to the 2.4Ghz network directly with your consoles.

Please keep in mind that disabling dual band may cause your other WiFi devices that do support dual band to run slower. 5Ghz is the faster network so you'll want to make sure that all your devices that support 5G are connected to that network.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Koloko
I've been around

I have the same issue.  I solved it by using my Powerline network adapters, nothing else worked.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation