cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to choose 5G band when my Ignite Modem is choosing 2.4 for it?

TheDude266
I've been here awhile

Hi,

Recently I installed Ignite TV with internet. I know the modem uses band steering technology.

I have around 12 devices hooked up throughout the day.

Is it possible to pull one device out of the band steering option?

I have one desktop that is far from the modem and as such, it is using 2.4 and I am getting download speeds of around 20-50 mbps. Before I had Ignite, the old dual-band method allowed me to choose 5g.

I would typically get 300-400 speeds with the 5g.

Does anyone know of a way to maintain band steering for all devices but revert my desktop back to a dual band so that I can choose 5g?

Thanks
Take Care

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to choose 5G band when my Ignite Modem is choosing 2.4 for it?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheDude266 drill down into the wifi adapter settings on the desktop.  Look for a preferred band and set that to 5 Ghz.  Also look for any setting which can disable the 2.4 Ghz band in the adapter.  I suspect that there's no way this will work unless you can disable the 2.4 Ghz transmit/receive functionality.  

If there is a setting to do this, disable the 2.4 Ghz band and then reboot the modem and the pc.  You might simply have to pull the power on the modem and then plug it back in.  The reason for this is to wipe any RF data that resides in the modem for the various devices.  There's no guarantee this will work either.  It all depends on whether or not the remote admin functionality stores RF data for devices that the modem has previously connected with.   I don't know if there's any device list clear function in the modem or whether or not that might be necessary.  Its possible that simply rebooting the modem will force it to start from scratch and build a new connected device list.

And .... at the end of the day, since Rogers has not released any information as to which of the three methods of band steering is employed by the modem and whether or not Rogers has modified that method ..... you simply won't know if any of this will work.  If you can disable the 2.4 Ghz transmit/receive capability in the desktop, and this still doesn't work, I would point to the modem and the unexplained functionality in the modem. 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it .........

TheDude266
I've been here awhile

Thanks Datalink,

I will definitely try to do this mission (haha) tomorrow.

Cheers

Take Care!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheDude266  You may be able to force a connection on the 5 GHz band but if that connection is marginal, you may get an even lower data rate than what you got on the 2.4 GHz band AND you may also kill Wi-Fi performance for other devices on that band.

Really, what you need to do is to perform a Wi-Fi site survey in your home to map out where the 2.4 and 5 GHz signals are strong and weak and whether repositioning your Ignite gateway (even slightly) improves coverage.  You may also want to consider the installation of Ignite WiFi pods which, if installed correctly, will significantly improve Wi-Fi performance for all devices throughout your home.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation