cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable WPS in Ignite modem?

Shadowbeam
I've been here awhile

So, WPS is a security risk. Does anyone know where the option to disable it is in the settings? Tech support says you can't disable it, but I am not sure that is true.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I disable WPS in Ignite modem?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If I remember correctly, there used to be an option to disable WPS on the Ignite Gateways but this got removed from the UI a few years ago.

To confirm that I was not imagining things, I searched through the RDK wiki... and I found this: https://wiki.rdkcentral.com/display/RDK/Wireless+Protection+Setup

If you require total control over your Wi-Fi settings and security, your only options are to either disable Wi-Fi and use external Wi-Fi Access Points or to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite Gateway and run your home network on your own network gear.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If I remember correctly, there used to be an option to disable WPS on the Ignite Gateways but this got removed from the UI a few years ago.

To confirm that I was not imagining things, I searched through the RDK wiki... and I found this: https://wiki.rdkcentral.com/display/RDK/Wireless+Protection+Setup

If you require total control over your Wi-Fi settings and security, your only options are to either disable Wi-Fi and use external Wi-Fi Access Points or to enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite Gateway and run your home network on your own network gear.

Shadowbeam
I've been here awhile

Thanks for finding the answer. I wasn’t sure if I was overlooking it as I discovered how to disable the Wi-Fi in the settings, so I figured there must be a way to disable WPS. Under Connection/Wi-Fi, you can edit each frequency band to disable Wi-Fi. But that’s all you can do. Other settings (such as changing the security mode or the channel bandwidth) are completely greyed out (I wonder if tech support can adjust these settings). And it doesn’t even mention WPS. But as that wiki you provided pointed out, the manufacturer did include this feature, so Rogers must have removed it.

I am disappointed that Rogers has removed this security setting from the UI. Most people won’t even go into their router settings, so what difference would it make to just leave it?

I guess I’ll have to consider using a third-party router and enabling bridge mode. At least bridge mode is pretty easy to set. It’s the first thing that pops up when you enter the settings menu.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Shadowbeam  Re: configuration options that are available in the UI, I think that this is under Comcast's control.  They have a penchant for keeping configuration options to a minimum.  With fewer configuration options, it keeps technically-unsophisticated customers from getting themselves into trouble, and there is less variance in customers' configurations so it simplifies support and simplifies documentation.

Comcast also made a decision to grey out (i.e. remove access to) pretty much all the Wi-Fi configuration settings.  Rogers uses the same configuration templates.  In my opinion, this is an insane thing to do but we are stuck with what we have.  Fortunately, there is Bridge Mode... and I run my home network on my own network gear, where I am in full control.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation