cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 1.5 GB Internet Speeds

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

Hi all,

I have a question about Ignite modems and speeds. I recently was upgraded to 1.5GB Ignite internet but I know that my current setup will only allow a max of 1GB speed (my computer's NIC is maxed at 1GB; and my cables are only Cat5). So, I was pondering whether an upgrade was worth it - i.e., thinking of upgrading the Ethernet card and also the cable between the modem and my PC, and then realized that I bet my MODEM/GATEWAY itself is likely limited to 1 GB speed anyway.

I currently have the Ignite Gateway XB6 version I think. So my question is: Is the modem itself in fact capped at 1 GB speed to begin with? If so, and if I wanted to upgrade my PC to get the value of t4he 1.5 GB speed I am paying for, will I be able to exchange the XB6 for an XB7 or XB8 or whatever the latest version is, assuming a new one is indeed capable of faster max speeds on it's ethernet ports?

Or am I wasting my time lol 

***Edited Labels***

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Getting 1.5 GB Internet Speeds

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Circus_boi wrote:

Sorry if this is not the right place for this question (or it's been answered elsewhere) but I just upgraded to 1.5Gigabit and have an XB6 model (1st gen).  All my devices connect wirelessly (i.e. phones, laptops, tv boxes, home security cameras, etc.), so I'm not sure if I should insist on getting a new XB7 or XB8 modem?

Hi!  Yes, you have definitely come to the right place.  🙂

The Gen 1 (XB6) gateway is a Wi-Fi 5 device and was designed to support Internet speeds of up to 1 Gbps.  With the 1.5 Gigabit service, Rogers should upgrade you to either the Gen 2 (XB7) or Gen 3 (XB8) gateway.

I read these posts and seems to me that the benefit of the 1.5G speed would only be available if I have hardware directly plugged into the XB model?  In other words, with only wireless connections, should I still insist on a modem upgrade, given that I am now paying for a 1.5Gigabit plan?  Many thanks (and sorry if question is dumb)!

With the Ignite 1.5 Gigabit cable Internet, I am able to attain speeds approaching 1.8 Gbps using computers using a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet connection or with a Wi-Fi 6E connection at close range to my XB8.  You will need to use a multi-gigabit network connection if you want any single device to be able to download at speeds exceeding 1 Gbps.

Even with Wi-Fi-only devices, you should still ask to get your Ignite Gateway upgraded.  The XB7 supports Wi-Fi 6 and the XB8 supports Wi-Fi 6E.  Both Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E offer faster speeds and the newer gateways support Internet speeds of up to 2.5 Gbps, so there will be more aggregate bandwidth available for all your devices.

Re: Getting 1.5 GB Internet Speeds

Circus_boi
I plan to stick around

Thank you!!!!

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 9 in conversation