cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibe or fibe powered?

1tpg1
I've been here awhile

Bell is digging in my neighborhood, and I assume will offer me 8Gbps soon.

Rogers SAYS they have fibe-powered in my 'hood, but these are the original cable wires from 33 years ago.

They say they can give 1.5 Gbps max - how? Is this compression and other tricks?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fibe or fibe powered?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1tpg1 wrote:

1. Rogers SAYS they have fibe-powered in my 'hood, but these are the original cable wires from 33 years ago.

2. They say they can give 1.5 Gbps max - how? Is this compression and other tricks?

1. The correct spelling is fibre, as in fibre optic cable.  Fibe is Bell's name for their internet connection, whether it's via twisted pair (more on that later), or via FTTH (Fibre to the home)  It is Bell that is misleading the public by using that name when twisted pair is used to the home.  We call that service Fib !

2. The RF-coax cable is perfectly capable of 1.5 Gbps or more.

3. The twisted pair that Bell typically has/had to most homes is only capable of about 50-100 mbps.

4. My speedtest results with my Mac Mini M2 10Gbps computer connected to my XB7 Gateway via Ethernet is always around 1.4. Gbps and I don't even subscribe to that service, I subscribe lower and save money.  Many people have 1.5 Gbps service.  Some people have complained that they can't get the 1.5 Gbps, but the issue is always related to some limitation in their hardware like a port only capable of 1.0 Gbps or using WiFi, etc.   

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Rogers node will be fiber then coax to your house. Bell is also digging in my area.

Don't know about comprerssion, though I rather doubt it. RG6 has capabilities of upto10gb.

1tpg1
I've been here awhile
Without fibe to your house's fibe modem, it's hard to believe the speeds will be as advertised from Rogers. Where is the node for my neighborhood located? If the whole area is served by coax, and sharing the node, I can't see how speeds can be called "fibe"
This is deliberately misleading marketing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1tpg1 wrote:

1. Rogers SAYS they have fibe-powered in my 'hood, but these are the original cable wires from 33 years ago.

2. They say they can give 1.5 Gbps max - how? Is this compression and other tricks?

1. The correct spelling is fibre, as in fibre optic cable.  Fibe is Bell's name for their internet connection, whether it's via twisted pair (more on that later), or via FTTH (Fibre to the home)  It is Bell that is misleading the public by using that name when twisted pair is used to the home.  We call that service Fib !

2. The RF-coax cable is perfectly capable of 1.5 Gbps or more.

3. The twisted pair that Bell typically has/had to most homes is only capable of about 50-100 mbps.

4. My speedtest results with my Mac Mini M2 10Gbps computer connected to my XB7 Gateway via Ethernet is always around 1.4. Gbps and I don't even subscribe to that service, I subscribe lower and save money.  Many people have 1.5 Gbps service.  Some people have complained that they can't get the 1.5 Gbps, but the issue is always related to some limitation in their hardware like a port only capable of 1.0 Gbps or using WiFi, etc.   

1tpg1
I've been here awhile
Thanks good reply. I am still looking forward to fibre optic to my door.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@1tpg1 

Do not be FOOLED by Rogers Fiber-Powered Internet Claims ... The chances of you getting sustained 1.5Gbps on your COAX connection is ABSOLUTLY NIL ... you might be lucky to get bursts of 900Mbps 

Bell's Fibre [other wise known as Pure Fiber in Rogers term] will provide that sustained rate that you subscribe too.

Where Rogers does provide Pure Fibe that "rate " is far more reliable over that provided by DOCSIS... So if you actually get a choice of Providers I suggest that you select Pure Fiber  ... 😊

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mozerd wrote:

@1tpg1 

...The chances of you getting sustained 1.5Gbps on your COAX connection is ABSOLUTLY NIL ... you might be lucky to get bursts of 900Mbps 

I'm not sure why you say such things.  I'm consistently getting 1.4 Gbps, as posted earlier in this thread and I'm not even on that high tier.  Other people have posted getting their 1.5 (or slightly more if they're on that tier).  People with the 1 Gbps service, when that was the highest tier, regularly got around 940 Mpbs, but probably get more now that 1.5 is available in many areas.  With Rogers, people get what they pay for, or more if they aren't on the highest tier due to speedboost.

Of course, FTTH will be superior with any provider, however, most people don't really need more than say 150 or 300, or 500 Mbps at their home.

EhmTeeEhf
I'm a reliable contributor

I have just upgraded to the 1.5GB on COAX, and I am getting speeds of over 1800Mbps consistently. I wonder if your area is saturated? Or you are on a node that hasn't been fully upgraded. On WiFi ya you might be getting 4-500 Mbps, I do on my phones. However using a 2Ghz Switch, and Cat 6 Ethernet Cabling. Also a 2.5Gbit NIC (PCIe) and also the 2.5Gb Built in Mobo NIC. I am getting constant speeds of well over 1800Mbps. Also doing the web browser speed test isn't accurate, you need to download the dedicated app, and do multiple tests. Also any VPN/Anti Virus/Anti malware like Windows Defender should be disabled during the test. When i first got it, this was killing my speed, I called one of my co workers in Internet and he told me to disable windows Defender, as it causes issues. Once I did that it was amazing super fast. I'll upload a video of my speed test i am doing today. Then post it.

EhmTeeEhf

Rogers - Rogers Test 2.jpgTest 1 Rogers - Telus.jpgTest 3 Rogers - Bell Mobility.jpgTest 4 Using Rogers Speed Test.jpg

EhmTeeEhf

I decided to upload screenshots, the post limit would not allow me to upload the entire video.

EhmTeeEhf

Its not "Fibe", which is copyrighted by Bell.  Rogers offers 1.5Gbit over Coax, but they also offer FTTH (Fibre to the Home) speeds that are "pure fibre" using a full fibre connection to a fibre modem you can get that give those speeds, (Up to 8Gbps as of now) however most home users don't upgrade their network infrastructure to support these speeds. So there could be a bottleneck there.

EhmTeeEhf

Exactly most home users never even consider why they can't get the speeds. They use 1Gbit Ethernet cards most of the time. They don't consider if their Mobo Nic supports 2.5Ghz, they don't even go in and change the speed either in the Bios on some Mobos, or in the Network options of the NIC itself.

EhmTeeEhf

I am also eagerly awaiting the Fibre connection as well. I have been on the waiting list for like a year. As an employee I keep bugging the network team "when is it coming to my Node! I need it NOW!"

EhmTeeEhf

Sounds like a bell advertisement, however see my screenshots below. I get 1800Mbits per sec on on 1.5Gbit Service  consistently. The only modifications I did, upgrade my Network card, Upgrade my cabling to support 10Gbit in future, and also made sure my connection was not over 50' as this would cause massive interference. On WiFi on most of my families devices they get easy 500Mbit on WiFi.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mozerd wrote:

@1tpg1 

Do not be FOOLED by Rogers Fiber-Powered Internet Claims ... The chances of you getting sustained 1.5Gbps on your COAX connection is ABSOLUTLY NIL ... you might be lucky to get bursts of 900Mbps 😊

Nope.  I subscribe to the Ignite 1.5 Gigabit service and I CONSISTENTLY attain speeds in excess of 1.8 Gb/s, and I can achieve that even with Rogers-supplied gear.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14420702886

(That particular speed test was performed over WI-FI 6E, at close range, with an XB8 running in gateway mode.  I can also attain those speeds with 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet, and over my own network gear with the Ignite Gateway in bridge mode.)

I was able to achieve those speeds even when I was still being serviced by an old analog fibre node.  Now that my area has been upgraded to a DAA node and R-PHY, it will be possible for Rogers to eventually provide me with even higher upload and download speeds.

I'm not a fan of DOCSIS; a properly-implemented EPON/GPON/XGS-PON FTTH service is FAR superior in every way... but Rogers can definitely deliver and exceed their advertised speeds with Ignite Cable Internet.

EhmTeeEhf

For the record I did not have to upgrade anything on my network except change the NIC settings, and i was getting good speeds, but there was a lot of noise on the line while testing, so replacing all my cabling and my switch was a personal choice. Its future proofing my network

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 6 in conversation