cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTH Ignite Internet termination

Myyykkee
I've been around

Does anyone know how Rogers terminates their fiber optics? Does it go straight into the modem now? I've had Rogers before and the fiber optics was terminated into a compliant optical network unit (made by Aurora networks) and then coaxial from that unit into the modem. I have an install coming up in February for Ignite Gigabit and was just curious if its changed. 

*Added Labels*

8 REPLIES 8

Re: FTTH Ignite Internet termination

RogersMoin

Hello, @Myyykkee.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Congratulations on signing up for the Ignite Internet Gigabit package! Thank you for posting an interesting query in the Community.

I believe we don't offer FTTH connections anymore; either it could be an FTTC or FTTN based on the area. 

In the event it is FTTH then it would be the same as you have described. The coax cable runs between the optical termination box and the modem. 

Please keep us posted about the installation.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

That sounds about right. My best friend has a condo downtown and happens to have FTTH too. We opened his network closet and found a fiber wire going into some device thingy to convert it to a normal coax connection which then goes into the inside wiring and all the way to the cable modem in his family room. sounds about right

shadowt1tan
I plan to stick around

Rogers Fibre to The Home Internet

Currently with Rogers. Bell advertises fibe consistently although the max they can give me is 5 down. So I technically don’t have a true alternative that’s true FTTH.

When will Rogers roll out it’s true fibre network (FTTH)?

What is this website?
https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet/fibre-powered

How do I know if I have fibre to the home internet?

When will Rogers increase their upload speeds?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shadowt1tan : Check out the following thread on what Rogers is doing (FTTC):

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Time-For-Takeoff/m-p/432420#M54525

Basically, at this time Rogers don't "need" FTTH because most people's needs can be met with FTTC/FTTN with RF-coax to the home from there (see post 10 of that thread). Rogers has been FTTN for a long time and RF-coax can easily meet 1 Gb/s download speeds, which is currently more than most websites can even push. This is obviously changing and sometime Rogers may go FTTH for existing infrastructure, but that would be a huge expense. IIRC, it can be hundreds of dollars per home.

FTTH is much more competitive to implement when you are going into a new development, or to a large condo/apartment/townhouse complex.

I cannot comment on your last two questions, but if you get the speed/performance you need, what difference does it make whether it's RF-coax or FTTH?

shadowt1tan
I plan to stick around

Do you happen to know when upload speeds will be increased ? Specifically through Docsis 3.1. Will this happen through a new modem? 

That's mainly what i'm looking for. I know with many FTTH connections you get latency as low as 2. Where I get around 12 through Speedtest.net

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't know about upload speeds. I doubt you'll get any significant advance notice as that is competitive information that is rarely given out until an official announcement.

I'm currently on 75/10 Unlimited. I consistently get 90-100 down, 10-11 up and pings of 6-8 (on Rogers Speedtest).  Using Speedtest.net gives similar results.  If I check with say Shaw Winnipeg the ping goes to 30 but upload and download stay the same since those are limited "at the modem" due to my plan.  There may be a "distance to server" component.  All the websites use Ookla.

Why we are talking about FTTH, FTTC or FTTN, Why not make it simple, Can you please answer this?  

Does Rogers have a product like 1.5 Gbps fiber-optic Internet (not cable)?

Can Rogers offer such internet to the consumer in Condominium units?

I guess the current answer is NO. So in that case,.........

When is Rogers going to provide Fiber optic internet to a consumer in GTA? Can they offer this by 2021?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@daveamitk wrote:

1. Why we are talking about FTTH, FTTC or FTTN,

2. Why not make it simple, Can you please answer this?  

3. When is Rogers going to provide Fiber optic internet to a consumer in GTA? 

1. Because that explains how the infrastructure works currently and how it will work in many areas for the foreseeable future.

2. Because the system is complex.  With billions of $ of existing infrastructure and a cost of many hundreds of $ for each FTTH customer in single family dwellings this isn't about to change overnight (or by 2021)

3. Depends on the exact location. Some (typically newer) areas are already being served by FTTH, however, most areas are still FTTN, with some areas being debottlenecked with FTTC and FTTH coming to select locations.  Rogers is currently able to offer 1Gbps download speeds to most areas.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation