cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow speeds on Google Drive

Brian20
I'm here a lot

I recently signed up to Rogers Ignite 500u. When I download from Google Drive, I get about 800KB/sec (or 6.4mbps). I came over from Bell Fibe 300 and was always able to max out my 300mbps connection. Does anyone else have this issue? I read this thread below and switched my CODA4582u to ipv4 but it didn't help.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Android-apps-really-slow-on-new-Hitron-CGN3AMR/td-p/3...

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Extremely slow speeds on Google Drive

Hey Andy,

I figured out the problem. It looks like a Rogers DNS issue. When I used another DNS, my speeds were much better (12MB/sec to 65MB/sec). Much better than the 800 KB/sec I was getting. Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersCorey

Hello @Brian20!

Welcome to our Community!

Certainly being able to download off your Cloud drive at a high speed is what's expected. Nobody likes to wait!

Do you notice slow speeds with any other Internet activities? Could you run a speedtest for us and share the results, please?

Once we know what we're working with we can start moving towards a solution.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi Corey,

I am at work now so can't post a screenshot of the speed test but I did do a few test for the past 2 days and the downloads we're at 550mbps and uploads at 20mbps so there's no issues there. I should mention that I spoke with tech support last night and they said they can't do anything about it so I am posting here in hopes to get help. Thanks

Hi again @Brian20!

Please PM us @CommunityHelps when you are home so we can investigate further and troubleshoot accordingly.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi Corey, Please see below for my speed test results

Hey Brian20!

Glad you've reached out to us via PM :). Once we have the traceroute results we'll have a much better idea of what's going on. Looking forward to you getting some answers from this.

RogersAndy

Hey Andy,

I figured out the problem. It looks like a Rogers DNS issue. When I used another DNS, my speeds were much better (12MB/sec to 65MB/sec). Much better than the 800 KB/sec I was getting. Thanks!

Just to add to this, changing the DNS used by a modem or router can result in a different path from the modem to the end server.  In this particular case, that is probably what has occurred.  The end result has been to sidestep some Rogers server in the original path that was causing the slow data rate to the Google Drive IP address.  That doesn't really solve the problem as the server with the issue is still in service and will cause the same problem for anyone else connected to your CMTS who happens to use the Rogers DNS as a default.  This wouldn't be the first time that Rogers servers have had a problem with Google services, and it probably won't be the last.  That's a configuration problem with the server.  Its unfortunate that this has been marked as solved as it really isn't solved at all.   You have managed to find a workaround, but the problem is still ongoing.  Congrats, but, Rogers still has to find the server in question and determine what the problem is with it's configuration.

@Datalink wrote:

Just to add to this, changing the DNS used by a modem or router can result in a different path from the modem to the end server.  In this particular case, that is probably what has occurred.  The end result has been to sidestep some Rogers server in the original path that was causing the slow data rate to the Google Drive IP address.  That doesn't really solve the problem as the server with the issue is still in service and will cause the same problem for anyone else connected to your CMTS who happens to use the Rogers DNS as a default.  This wouldn't be the first time that Rogers servers have had a problem with Google services, and it probably won't be the last.  That's a configuration problem with the server.  Its unfortunate that this has been marked as solved as it really isn't solved at all.   You have managed to find a workaround, but the problem is still ongoing.  Congrats, but, Rogers still has to find the server in question and determine what the problem is with it's configuration.

I definitely agree with you that this is only a band aid solution to the problem. You're right about this not being the first time Rogers having an issue with Google services. Last year when I cancelled Rogers back in February, I was getting extremely slow speeds on Playstore , this time it's Google Drive.  I was the one that marked this as a solution in hopes that future customers with the same problem know they can use an alternate dns server for a quick fix. I posted my issue here at first in hopes to see if other customers had the same problem and that we could raise the issue to Rogers and work together to find a solution. Unfortunately, it seems I am the only one with this issue and I am not sure if Rogers would go out of their way to help just 1 customer. 

If any of the Rogers techs here would like to continue to investigate this further, I'd be happy to work with them and provide any data they need. In the meantime, I am happy with this workaround for now.

I have the exact same issue. My google drive downloads seem to be limited to about 6MB/s , whereas all my other downloads from almost anywhere else gets max speed (for me which is around 62MB/s (500mbps))

i want a reason to switch to the 1gbps plan, but i fear it will have the same issue, so im not motivated to. i can also confirm, using a free dns allows me to get faster speeds from google drive but slower max speed (everywhere else).

This used to be faster back before december if i remember correctly, so i feel like something happend on roger's side.

Hey @silverhsadow!

It's certainly odd that you're seeing such a difference in download speeds specifically with Google Drive, I'm wondering if it's possible due to location, as routing can potentially limit throughput. Has it ever been faster than this?

Also can you provide a traceroute from command prompt to drive.google.com? Be sure to remove your personal IP's before posting :).

Thanks!

@RogersAndy

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation