cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Need Coaxial Cables?

geokilla007
I plan to stick around

Do I still need coaxial cables in my home? We’re doing some renovations right now and the contractor offered to remove them. Bell has FTTH for TV and Internet but I’m not sure if Rogers is still on coaxial or not.

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Do I Need Coaxial Cables?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@geokilla007 wrote:

Do I still need coaxial cables in my home? We’re doing some renovations right now and the contractor offered to remove them. Bell has FTTH for TV and Internet but I’m not sure if Rogers is still on coaxial or not.

I suppose that depends on the age and type of coaxial cables that you have in your home and how they have been run.  If you have RG-6 coax cables that run from the electrical panel in your basement to various different rooms in your house, then I would certainly keep them around.  Rogers no longer uses them to connect set-top boxes (Ignite TV STBs connect via either Ethernet or Wi-Fi) but having coax cables running to different rooms in your home gives you flexibility as to where you can place your cable modem/gateway.  You can also use those coax cables for connecting satellite TV receivers.

If your budget allows, I would also recommend that you run cat5e or cat6 UTP solid copper cable to any rooms that may require network connectivity.  If you have a 2-storey home, I would also recommend installing a few 1-inch conduits from your basement (electrical panel area) to the attic since this will enable you to run just about any kind of cable (even fibre) to upstairs rooms at a later date, even if you already have those rooms wired for Ethernet.

Re: Do I Need Coaxial Cables?

geokilla007
I plan to stick around

They're probably not RG-6 cables either. Unfortunately no way to tell since it's stapled to the wall and painted over. We'd never put the modem in the main or upper floor either so I guess it's best to remove them. OTA TV isn't allowed here.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation