cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOCSIS 3.1 Rollout

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Hello all, first of all I just want to let you know I was not been able to login to the forum for 3 days, and it took me over 20 attempts to login this time. ( please fix the sign-in).

When can we expect DOCSIS 3.1 rollout .. it will fix the ping/lantecy issues for us gamers and Rogers will be able to compete with Bell FibreOp's PING. it will be an amazing time for gamers like myself that want a low ping when I play online games.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Rollout

RogersMoin

Hello, @JohnBeaudin

Thank you for your insights and interest in DOCSIS 3.1 specification support. At this moment, we are unable to comment on the product/service which has not announced yet. Please stay tuned, we will update the Community as the information becomes available.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

RogersMoin

Hello, @JohnBeaudin

Thank you for your insights and interest in DOCSIS 3.1 specification support. At this moment, we are unable to comment on the product/service which has not announced yet. Please stay tuned, we will update the Community as the information becomes available.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/15/videotron-says-its-testing-internet-that-can-reach-download-speeds...

Quebec-based telecom Videotron has begun implementing Docsis 3.1 on its network, the company announced today. The technology, developed by the CableLabs consortium, will eventually allow the carrier to deliver speeds of up to 10Gbps for downloads and 1Gbps for uploads.

Currently, the fastest speed internet the carrier offers is its Giga Fibre Hybrid Internet service, which supports speeds of up to 940Mbps and was launched in late July, 2016. Bell and Rogers also offer Gigabit internet plans that predate Videotron’s service.

“With this deployment, we are laying the first stones in the foundations of the Internet of the future,” said Manon Brouillette, CEO and President of Videotron, in a release.

“We will be able to offer better Internet access service that meets the growing speed and bandwidth needs of our customers, who are watching more and more HD and UHD videos and adopting the cloud, the Internet of Things, augmented reality and virtual reality.”

Videotron says beta testing of Docsis 3.1, which makes use of wide range of new digital communication technologies, is already underway in Montreal-area homes and businesses. The carrier adds that once testing has been successfully completed, it will be possible to roll out Docsis 3.1 quickly as it is compatible with Videotron’s existing network “where it has been upgraded.” Potential users will only need a new modem and a software upgrade on the network.

Videotron did not state how much the service would cost, but it’s safe to say it will be more than the carrier’s Giga Hybrid Fibre service, which is $149.95 per month.

“We are proud to be one of the first operators in the world and the first in Canada to install this new technology, demonstrating once again our leadership in the Internet access market and our commitment to offering our customers state-of-the-art services at all times,” said Brouillette.

I hope Rogers will follow and embrace DOCSIS 3.1 soon..

Well played Videotron

I am sure they eventually will move oer that way.

Though the question then remains what ELSE may need to be updated for 3.1 to go?  Are all the nodes and interconnects have the right equipment to support it?

I know right now, that they are just finishing up the upgrades of most, to allow for gigabit.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

In a previous article from 2015

it was estimated at 15$ per house on average to udpate the whole footprint on DOCSIS 3.1

Now it's probablyin their future plan but I wonder when.. I was under the impression Rogers would be the first to deploy DOCSIS 3.1, a bit disapointed that Videotron will take that glory.

Might have to do with the footprint/# of users?

While I am sure, Rogers has more $$... 

According to wikipedia, Videotron has just user 2mil subsribers?
I think rogers (again according to wikipedia) has like 20mil?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

That's about right, Videotron is only in the province of Quebec, while Rogers is in ON,QC,NB,NS and NFL.

But at the end of the day Rogers has a lot of subscribers.

I live in NB and Rogers is very popular over here, even where Bell FTTH is available there is many people with Rogers because they have cheaper bundles.

But in rural Bell only have 7 mbs down/0,5 up so everyone goes with Rogers, we need so much bandwitch today with all our devices and we stream hd tv shows while someone play a game in the other room ect.

The internet of things is coming.. we will need even more bandwitch, if Bell don't upgrade their rural area and smaller city with fibe they will lose it all to Rogers int he coming years.

My personal prediction is Rogers database will grow further while Bell will lose some to Rogers ( due to their lack of competition to being able to expand fibe to their wholefoot print , because of the high cost to deploy fibe).

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Rogers has about 2 million internet subscribers and about 5 million tv subscribers.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Where have you found these numbers? out of curiosity.

I found mine on part of wikipedia (though may have been TOTAL subscribers for everything combined.

I did fine the other numbers that were mentioned as well..  but it does seem VERY low.

Problem these are like on wikipedia, where they can be edited, changed, etc.

I wish there was a clear spot, say on quarterly reports, etc, that showed these total numbers.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Anyhow, I hope Rogers will follow Videotron soon.. DOCIS 3.1 will be my savior.

lizardguy2
I've been here awhile

Rogers has anounced the impending rollout of 3.1. In fact, it's already underway and I just picked up my new Gateway from Rogers on Friday. I would venture to guess it will take a few months-ish.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/distribution/rogers-rolling-out-hitron-s-docsis-31-gateway/409692

"A Rogers official confirmed that the operator has begun to deploy DOCSIS 3.1 on its network while also making the new HItron gateway availalbe. "This week, starting with our Gigabit Internet customers, we're inviting them to swap their existing modem (free of charge) for the new modem that will offer more capacity for faster speeds, more robust performance and more capacity to support our customers’ growing needs," the official added in an email to Multichannel News. Regarding availability through Rogers stores, the MSO is not selling the Hitron device at retail but letting gigabit customers swap out their existing modems at those outlets."

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

Since D3.1 is rolling out, has the network team thought of creating a map of D3.1 enabled areas, or even create a timeline so that people in certain areas will know when they will be upgraded to it? Or even possibly an update on the progress of the rollout on this thread by an official?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I came across this site that talks about the benefits of DOCSIS 3.1 and thought it would be helpful for others:

Part 1:  http://www.incognito.com/blog/a-technical-guide-to-docsis-3-1-and-beyond-part-1-increasing-capacity/

Part 2:  http://www.incognito.com/blog/a-technical-guide-to-docsis-3-1-and-beyond-part-2-technical-advantages...

Part 3:  http://www.incognito.com/blog/a-technical-guide-to-docsis-3-1-and-beyond-part-3-the-future-of-docsis...

It is an easy read and not overly complicated.  It goes over why we notice increased signal levels on the new modems among other things.

@Alex4161

Great articles you posted, I love reading this type of stuff!

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave @RogersKevin @RyzenFX @Datalink

Anyone aware when DOCSIS 3.1 Upstream Rollout will begin? last I heard was Summer but we're mid August already so I was wondering if we will get updated soon.

Thanks!

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin I am not sure when the OFDMA rollout will begin, maybe before the end of this year??

However, I have found that recent 3.1 field tests have reached upload speeds of 100Mbps. This makes sense considering 3.1 upstream enables a maximum bandwidth of 1Gbps. 

I'm really hoping that Rogers will be able to deliver 100Mbps upload and it doesn't seem impossible at all. Very few customers in my neighborhood are using the 4582 which means once OFDMA comes online, there will be no congestion, which translates lower ping while gaming Smiley Very Happy

Looking at it from a gamer perspective, it is very exciting. Like I said, lower ping, less packet loss, and MORE BANDWIDTH for content creators. Smiley Happy

@RogersDave Does enabling OFDMA also enable AQM (Active Queue Mangement as well?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RyzenFX wrote:

@JohnBeaudin I am not sure when the OFDMA rollout will begin, maybe before the end of this year??

However, I have found that recent 3.1 field tests have reached upload speeds of 100Mbps. This makes sense considering 3.1 upstream enables a maximum bandwidth of 1Gbps. 

I'm really hoping that Rogers will be able to deliver 100Mbps upload and it doesn't seem impossible at all. Very few customers in my neighborhood are using the 4582 which means once OFDMA comes online, there will be no congestion, which translates lower ping while gaming Smiley Very Happy

Looking at it from a gamer perspective, it is very exciting. Like I said, lower ping, less packet loss, and MORE BANDWIDTH for content creators. Smiley Happy

@RogersDave Does enabling OFDMA also enable AQM (Active Queue Mangement as well?

I doubt we'll get 100mb upload, congestion on 3.1 upload will be lower, but OFDMA is very sensitive to noise, and upload in general is very sensitive to noise. The DOCSIS platform is susceptible to noise because there is sooo many sources on ingress that can leak into the line. 

AQM is a protocol so it shouldn't make a difference if it's on OFDMA or QAM. However it makes a big difference, so I hope we get it enabled on Downstream and Upstream. I've been experimenting with it on my pfsense set up and have noticed positive results. 

RyzenFX

AQM Is part of the D3.1 specification and it requires both the modem and CMTS to have it. @RogersDave Is it already enabled on OFDM? 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

October 11 and still no words on D3.1 Upload, looks like it might only happen in 2018!

AhmedAskar
I plan to stick around

Nice try 😄 maybe in 2019!

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 in conversation