cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

RR19
I've been around

I can’t seem to find a way to connect my escape smart bulb and plug to my wifi as is says it needs a 2.4 ghz. It seems the router wants to connect things on 5ghz.

Has anyone had this issue? And better yet solved it....

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

Hello, @rgbitner

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to hear that you are unable to get your smart bulb connected to your Ignite TV modem like you were able to on the previous modem.

In the same section where you disabled the 5G network, you are able to modify the SSID or network name. Please edit the settings for the 2.4G and change the name of the 2.4G network to something different from the 5G network. Once that is done try connecting the bulb to that network. If it is successful, modify the name of the 5G network to match the 2.4G network to ensure band steering is enabled.

Let us know if this resolves the issues with the smart bulb connecting to 2.4G.

RogersTony

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless something was set up weird with your router when the person set it up..
It should have BOTH.

You would have to log into your modem.
(10.0.0.1 by default unless they have changed it since mine was setup)
Login in the top left.  User should be 'admin' and the password, most likely whatever they set up your wifi password to.
Go to the Gateway section, then expand Connection, and then to Wi-Fi.
It should show the two wireless networks there.

Now.. if both are listed the same name, you will only see one ever on a device and it will usually pick the stronger of the two, to connect to.  But if a device only had 2.4 capabilities, it still should see it, and be only seeing the 2.4 connection.

I have the Ignite modem, but with the Eero mesh pods.   But it is set up the same way, with the same name (ssid) for both 2.4 and 5.  All my 2.4 only home automation devices are able to connect just fine.

If you are having issues loging into your modem, you may have to give tech support a call to have help loging into it. (they can reset password, etc)

rgbitner
I've been here awhile

Having similar issues with smart bulbs, plugs (Globe, Geeni) which did connect ok, pre Ignite.
Google Home mini unit does connect ok with Ignite.
Guide (for bulbs) says to use 2.4G for the connection process, and that 5G can be used thereafter. Ignite setup lists both 2.4G & 5G.
I can not find any way of temporarily disabling 5G for the initial connection process.
Any ideas?

Which exact modem do you have?  

There should be a way to do it, but will vary from one to another modem.

rgbitner
I've been here awhile

Model No. for my Ignite Router is TG3482ER3
(Unit does not show name-'Made in China') G.Search suggests it is Arris TG3482ER3 'also known as XB6'.
Logged in to router Gateway but can't find setting for selecting 2.4/5G.

rgbitner
I've been here awhile

Following up...now,via Gateway, found setting to disable 5G.

After reset, tried reconnecting Globe smart bulbs with 2.4G .

Still not able to connect  (as I was able to pre-Ignite).

Hello, @rgbitner

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to hear that you are unable to get your smart bulb connected to your Ignite TV modem like you were able to on the previous modem.

In the same section where you disabled the 5G network, you are able to modify the SSID or network name. Please edit the settings for the 2.4G and change the name of the 2.4G network to something different from the 5G network. Once that is done try connecting the bulb to that network. If it is successful, modify the name of the 5G network to match the 2.4G network to ensure band steering is enabled.

Let us know if this resolves the issues with the smart bulb connecting to 2.4G.

RogersTony

rgbitner
I've been here awhile

Thank you...that was helpfull.
I found it was necessary to delete and reinstall the device app for some of the devices before they would connect.

The option to change the name of either network is greyed out and so can not be edited.

Would need a little more info.
WHERE are you looking to change it?

If your trying to change it in the MODEM setting page on the modem itself, I think thats locked out now, and is under the ignitewifi app/page?

Not 100% sure on the process with the newer pods.. i would assume they are driven by the same settings as above.

If you have the Eero wifi pods, the settings and name is set via the Eero app

SirChronocide
I've been here awhile

There is no option to disable Band Steering on CGM4140COM model modems.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to disable this "feature" for the past 2 hours and it's rendering all app controller smart lights in my house USELESS unless I can directly connect to the 2.4 GHz network.

----

Good news! Found the option to change the SSID in the Ignite app!

Bad News! It changes the name for both of them......well, THAT tip is now useless.

How about we STOP making things harder to control directly for advanced users?

Hello, @SirChronocide.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for participating in this thread; not able to connect an app to your WiFi network can be quite frustrating.  

Have you had the chance to check the post 7 8? You can try the following to connect your app to the 2.4 GHz network:

• Disable the 5 GHz network
  • Try connecting the app. If successful, then enable back the 5 GHz network. 
  • If not successful, reboot the device (phone) and try connecting the app again. 
  • If still not successful, change the SSID of 2.4 GHz. The app should get connected to the new SSID. If still not connected, you may have to reinstall the app as mentioned in post 8. 

Please make sure to enable the 5 GHz network and its SSID matches with the 2.4 GHz network. 

Please keep us apprised. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

here is my two cents, if your device aka smart light bulb only supports 2.4G network, and you can see it when connecting, then you should have nothing to worry, even if band steering is turned on

a lot of people make a big stink about needing to connect to 2.4 g network but if you can see it from your app and connect to it, then it will only connect to the 2,4 g network so no point to get stressed out and try to disable 5g and all the extra effort is unnecessary.

Wireless_Roamer
I plan to stick around

Had the same issue just yesterday! I recieved smart plugs over the Holidays. They operate on the 2.4 g network. Trying to set them up was a pain because of band steering on the Ignite Modem. The instructions posted here are accurate but time consuming and not for everyone. I didn't want to fool around with my Modem settings and potentially affect my Ignite services. So I had an idea that worked like a charm using the Modems technology. I took my Smart plugs and Smartphone I was using to set them up far away from the Modem. The farthest away the better! My Smartphone automatically connected to the 2.4g network for the strongest signal. Success! It worked and set up was a breeze. After the Smart plugs are set up you can then use any band the Modem it using at the moment. Tip: When you are far away from the Modem and using the technique I'm describing whether it's a smartphone or tablet toggle you Wifi off and back on to ensure it is connected to the 2.4g.

Hello, @Wireless_Roamer.

Thank you for sharing your brilliant idea to connect the smart plugs with the 2.4 GHz network. I'm sure other community members in a similar situation can benefit from it. 

I appreciate your contribution and thank you for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

MCREW
I've been around

I am beyond frustrated as I received smart device Christmas gifts, my Google Hub will connect to WiFi2 (the 2.4 Ghz) Ignite Model:CGM4140COM HW 2.2 eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1 and multiple different vendors of Smart Bulbs and Plugs (all requiring 2.4 WiFi) will NOT Connect, from CostCo the Globe Suite bulbs which do NOT require a Hub will not connect via the basic setup, nor Advanced AP setup.  Same for the UltraLink Slim Smart Plug and the Nest Camera - all fail!!!!!

After reading many web pages, ROGERS need to come clean and advise how to turn OFF Client Isolation (peer protection or whatever else you want to call it).

Greetings @MCREW,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post since joining!

I definitely get your frustration! I am sure you'd like to put your new Christmas gifts to good use! Just out of curiosity, have you tried the workaround provided in posts 7 and 8? If so, what was the outcome? 

We look forward to your response! 🙂

RogersLaura

adlc58
I'm here a lot

Yes, and it's frustrating!  I haven't been able to get my smart lights to work with Google Home since getting Rogers Ignite.  I've tried uninstalling Google Home and reinstalling, tried setting up the smart lights when they are flashing, and when the system scans for them, they can't be found.  Nothing works now since getting Ignite.  Not happy.

Hello @adlc58

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😊 We'd love to get them up and running for you! 👍 I've got Google Home as well and a few smart bulbs connected and it would be certainly frustrating as well in the event that they didn't work! Have you had the chance to try the suggested steps in our Solution Post

Regards,

RogersJo 

Donnyjohn20
I've been here awhile
I have tried everything. Yes I’m on the 2.4Ghz internet yes I’ve uninstalled the apps and re installed. I’ve even tried on different devices and no matter what I do I cannot get the globe suite wifi light bulbs to connect to my Rogers ignite wifi. It is super frustrating. I even tried everyone’s tips on this page and nothing.

I have no personal experience with Globe Suite products... does anyone else on the forums?

If anyone else has any extra ideas that @Donnyjohn20 might try, please share! 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats