cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting My Own Router to ONT for FTTH

darkharbour
I've been around

I recently switched to Rogers Ignite as my house had access to the FTTH service. The tech came and installed a NOKIA XS-010X-Q and then a Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 2), and everything is working fine but I want to use my existing mesh router because it has better wifi coverage and allows me to use ethernet from a satellite node in my basement for some home automation equipment running via a Raspberry Pi. I also don't like how the Homeconnect app doesn't give me any control over the Gateway at all, there seems to be very little configuration accessible to the user and that can be frustrating at best.

What I'm wondering is if there is any reason that I cannot just run the ethernet cable from the ONT to my existing router, and remove the Ignite WiFi Gateway entirely and return it to Rogers to save the $10/month? I don't use Ignite TV, phone, or any other Rogers home services, and I tested it yesterday and the connection seemed to work fine without the gateway plugged in. Will it continue to work fine or will it eventually trigger an issue if the Gateway doesn't communicate back to Rogers? 

Just looking for advice here, I've never been with Rogers before so I'm not sure how their system works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Connecting My Own Router to ONT for FTTH

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@darkharbour wrote:

I recently switched to Rogers Ignite as my house had access to the FTTH service. The tech came and installed a NOKIA XS-010X-Q and then a Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 2)

What I'm wondering is if there is any reason that I cannot just run the ethernet cable from the ONT to my existing router, and remove the Ignite WiFi Gateway entirely and return it to Rogers to save the $10/month? I don't use Ignite TV, phone, or any other Rogers home services, and I tested it yesterday and the connection seemed to work fine without the gateway plugged in. Will it continue to work fine or will it eventually trigger an issue if the Gateway doesn't communicate back to Rogers? 

Rogers provides the Ignite Gateway as part of their Internet service, so it is not really an option even though the "rental" fee is shown as a separate line item on your bill.

If you are purely a Rogers Internet customer, there's no reason why you cannot disconnect the Ignite Gateway and connect your own router/firewall/Wi-Fi mesh system directly to the ONT and run on your own network gear.  However, if you should ever require technical support, Rogers may insist that you to revert back to a standard "as-installed" configuration for troubleshooting and leave the Ignite Gateway in place until the problem gets resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@darkharbour wrote:

I recently switched to Rogers Ignite as my house had access to the FTTH service. The tech came and installed a NOKIA XS-010X-Q and then a Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 2)

Rogers provides the Ignite Gateway as part of their Internet service, so it is not really an option even though the "rental" fee is shown as a separate line item on your bill.

If you are purely a Rogers Internet customer, there's no reason why you cannot disconnect the Ignite Gateway and connect your own router/firewall/Wi-Fi mesh system directly to the ONT and run on your own network gear.  However, if you should ever require technical support, Rogers may insist that you to revert back to a standard "as-installed" configuration for troubleshooting and leave the Ignite Gateway in place until the problem gets resolved.

RDL76
I plan to stick around
I just had the service installed today and was wondering the same thing. Is it really just as easy as plugging the ethernet cable from the Nokia modem into your own router and setting it up from there?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RDL76 yes, its that easy, but, there are a few caveats to keep in mind.  If your post has been moved to this thread, take a read from the top of the thread.  And, have a look at the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-to-disable-Rogers-Ignite-Wifi-Hub-remote-manageme...

Its probably worth reading thru that thread as well.  

There is a much longer thread in the forum as well, but, if you read thru the above threads, that should answer most of your questions.

RDL76
I plan to stick around
I'm hoping someone with a networking background can point me in the right direction. For the past two months, I've had my TPlink BE800 plugged directly into the ONT modem and it's worked flawlessly. It was really too good to be true. Speeds were exactly as advertised, the internet was stable and all was well. Beginning two days ago the internet connection started cutting out for the first time ever. I would unplug the modem and plug it back in only to have the internet drop every 20 to 30 minutes or so. After the third time I contacted tech support and the internet dropped again while waiting in the cue. Once I finally spoke to a real person, he took me through every diagnostic saying everything looked normal on his end and then 5 minutes after ending the call, it dropped again. I had a hunch that plugging in the Ignite gateway would fix the problem and it did. I tried my previous configuration again yesterday only to have the internet cut out within a couple of minutes.

Any idea why I'm being forced to use the Ignite Gateway now to maintain a stable connection? Did Rogers sneak in a new security policy about this a couple of days ago? If everyone else is still able to bypass the ignite gateway then there has to be some kind of issue with my third party router.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RDL76 wrote:
Any idea why I'm being forced to use the Ignite Gateway now to maintain a stable connection? Did Rogers sneak in a new security policy about this a couple of days ago? If everyone else is still able to bypass the ignite gateway then there has to be some kind of issue with my third party router.

So far, you are the first person that I have seen report such a problem here.  I don't think that Rogers would be forcing FTTH customers to use the Ignite Gateway.  Furthermore, Rogers also explicitly supports other devices connecting to the ONT (alongside the Ignite Gateway, through a switch) with their 8 Gig service.  If I had to guess, your router may be experiencing stability issues due to a firmware update.  However, we would have to see if any other customers start reporting problems with their connectivity before we start to suspect any shenanigans on Rogers' part.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation