cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see wireless access points on Ignite network

johnrm
I plan to stick around

My Ignite system is up and running in Gateway mode. My 3 TV boxes are successsfully connected via ethernet cabling and the wifi in my Ignite modem is turned off. I have 2 ethernet wired TP-Link wifi access point modems connected and working but they don't show up on my Ignite network like they did when I was on cable and the Hitron modem. Is this a known issue? Thanks.

***Add Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't see wireless access points on Ignite network

johnrm
I plan to stick around

I did a factory reset on both TP-Link routers and set them up from scratch as access points and now all is well! They and their USB  attached storage appear on the network as they should and access to them is very fast. The 3 TVs are working perfectly and the voice command remote is great - we are very happy with Ignite!  🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnrm  Don't show up in what way?   (I'm referring back to your previous post.)

Are you saying that you can no longer connect to those access points, that you cannot see the SSD's that they are sharing, or that you cannot connect to their IP address?

The XB6 gateway uses the 10.0.0.0/24 address range by default, which is different from what you probably had on the Hitron.  Did you have static IP addresses configured in your access points and if so, did you reconfigure them for the new IPv4 address scheme, and ensure that you are using IP addresses that are outside of the DHCP scope that is configured on the XB6 gateway?

johnrm
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your reply. The wifi from both of those access points is working and are using the same SSIDs as before the move to Ignite. I have reserved a 10.0.0.X IP address to each of their MAC addresses in the Ignite modem configuration but when I ping the address there is no reply. I also can't connect to them by entering their assigned IP in my browser. If I can access the internet through their wifi, can I assume their IP addresses are valid?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnrm wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The wifi from both of those access points is working and are using the same SSIDs as before the move to Ignite. I have reserved a 10.0.0.X IP address to each of their MAC addresses in the Ignite modem configuration but when I ping the address there is no reply. I also can't connect to them by entering their assigned IP in my browser.

Your approach should work but it sure sounds like your Access Point routers are not getting their reserved address.

If I can access the internet through their wifi, can I assume their IP addresses are valid?

No, you can't make that assumption.  All that this confirms is that your AP/router has good Ethernet connectivity.

In "AP Mode", your router will bridge the LAN, WAN and wireless networks together into one logical network segment, so wireless clients, connecting through your AP, will still be able to get IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from the Ignite gateway and will also be able to access the internet.  All this will still work even if the AP/router itself does not have a working IP address.

However, that reserved IP address is used for accessing internal services running on your router; things like its internal web server for its configuration/management UI, or its file sharing services.  You'll have to look at the list of connected devices on the XB6 gateway to see whether your AP/routers appear.

johnrm
I plan to stick around

I did a factory reset on both TP-Link routers and set them up from scratch as access points and now all is well! They and their USB  attached storage appear on the network as they should and access to them is very fast. The 3 TVs are working perfectly and the voice command remote is great - we are very happy with Ignite!  🙂

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation