CODA-4582 and external Hard drive

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CODA-4582 and external Hard drive

I recently upgraded to the Gigabit internet speed and got the new  modem. On my old modem (CGN3), I was able to plug both my hard drives and see them under the Admin -> USB Storage. I was then able to map a drive letter to them from all my computers on the home network. I was not happy that with the new router, they now have only one USB port. Regardless, I thought I will atleast use that one and this morning plugged a hard drive in that and I don't see it show up under Admin -> USB Storage. The Shared Status is enabled and still nothing. I disabled and re-enabled thinking that will get it to detect the hard drive, still nothing. The USB light  in front of  the modem does not light up either. Called Rogers tech support and he says that they don't have  a way to see anything plugged into the USB port, which I guess is a good thing as I don't want my service provider snooping its contents. But he was also not able to offer any support with regards to the light in front of the router and when then does it light up. So I am here in the forum to see if there is anything else I need to do or have to dust out my old personal ASUS router that has USB ports and plug that into Rogers modem and then get to the hard drives. I don't want to got that path if I can get the modem to work. I have already ordered a USB 3.0 hub and was hoping to use that to plug both the hard drives.

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: CODA-4582 and external Hard drive

Hi @nav2004

I'd like to see if @Gdkitty and @Datalink would be able to help you here.

They're the two best Internet experts we have!

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@nav2004wrote:

Quick summary of known as reported in the various threads:

I recently upgraded to the Gigabit internet speed and got the new  modem. On my old modem (CGN3), I was able to plug both my hard drives and see them under the Admin -> USB Storage.

Yes, that is absolutely true you could - I did the same.

I was then able to map a drive letter to them from all my computers on the home network. I was not happy that with the new router, they now have only one USB port.

Again, yes, only one port - when first released, specs said, 3.0 supported, it is not, only 2.0, if you can get it to work - more in a bit.

Regardless, I thought I will atleast use that one and this morning plugged a hard drive in that and I don't see it show up under Admin -> USB Storage. The Shared Status is enabled and still nothing. I disabled and re-enabled thinking that will get it to detect the hard drive, still nothing. The USB light  in front of  the modem does not light up either. Called Rogers tech support and he says that they don't have  a way to see anything plugged into the USB port, which I guess is a good thing as I don't want my service provider snooping its contents. But he was also not able to offer any support with regards to the light in front of the router and when then does it light up.

Rogers support knows nothing about the USB port and related features and does not support it at all.  When we had one of the engineers following the threads, he would speak to it, but bottom line, is it has worked for only a few.  It worked for one day for me, then it was gone, never to return.  It shows in the administration, but no USB light on, and even though marked shared, I cannot connect to it from any device.

So I am here in the forum to see if there is anything else I need to do or have to dust out my old personal ASUS router that has USB ports and plug that into Rogers modem and then get to the hard drives. I don't want to got that path if I can get the modem to work. I have already ordered a USB 3.0 hub and was hoping to use that to plug both the hard drives.

Unfortunately, dusting off your router may be the only option, but it may also have benefits, as it may also improve WIFI in your home, as this modem/router gateway combination is notorious for poor performance in many homes - many thread discussions on that one.

And yes, unfortunately it will mean that unless your router has USB 3.0, you are not going to have 3.0, so you will probably be sending back the hub.

Wish I had better news (unless others have heard otherwise), this router has been through many iterations, dealing with setting up Docsis 3.1 support, having upload speed reduced as network was not prepared for it or what ever the reason, USB port never has worked and been a "future outstanding issue", latency issues, poor WIFI connection for some homes, and the issue of USB port seems to be way down on the list.

To others, is the new engineer on stream yet for is input?

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If you look at Hitrons spec sheet for CODA-4582U it seems to indicate support for NAS drives, but does not say what format the file system needs to be in.

http://www.hitron-americas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CODA-4582-Datasheet.pdf

I just plugged in a 2gb FAT32 USB Stick I had lying around and the USB light in the front lit up and checking the Admin USB Storage page, I saw the stick mounted and I could then access it.

I then plugged back my 1TB or so external HDD and it did not mount.  I checked the file system and it was NTFS. So I think that is the issue, but why, I don't get it as the older CGN3 did not have this restriction. Why would they develop a newer piece of hardware that would remove this support. FAT32 supports max 32 gb(safely unless you do a hack like this : https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-large-hard-drive-fat-fat32/)    I believe and I don't think you can call that as a NAS in your spec sheet !!

I hate when we as Customers sit between the carrier who supplies a vendor hardware, but does not fully support all of its functionality. And we cannot call Hitron as they will just say, sorry called your service provider as they might have disabled it or some how customized it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine works with a 2TB NTFS drive, but I can only map to it from Windows machines, so I think the issue is also with the SMB protocol.  You know we had the recent flaw in SMB 1.0 so most systems now only support the latest version of SAMBA.  I am rebuilding a NAS box and will plop it on my network later, but the Hitron did see my 2TB external drive, USB 2.0 by the way, I have another 4 TB USB 3.0 see if it sees that.  I can for the life of me not connect to it using ChromeOS or Mac OS High Sierra but Windows 10 sees it and can copy files from and to it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aelaan as far as I know, the 4582 doesn't support USB 3.0 drives.  That's a change the Intel has to take care of. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting that it was able to see your 2 TB USB 2.0 hard drive. Mine is USB 2.0 as well but is not recognized. Maybe it hss to do with a specific hardware version of this router or firmware. I picked mine recently so can assume is the latest and greatest.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It does not see the 4TB USB3 drive, yet the port has the markings of a USB 3.0 A (blue colour).  

Shared Disks

Shared Status
EnabledDisabled
No.DiskAction
1file://192.168.0.1/diska1Eject

This is the 2TB USB 2.0 drive.  I would however expect it to say:  smb://192.168.0.1/diska1 but I am not picky...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Further testing shows that a non powered 512Gb SSD drive actually works over USB 3.0:

Screenshot 2018-04-13 at 9.46.45 PM - Display 1.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So, there is something wrong with the SAMBA stack on the CODA-4582.  It only supports SMB1/CIFS which has known bugs.  I can get anything to mount on it now, it works fine once I know to use the SMB1 protocol.  I would assume the kernel modules and kernel development would not be accessible on GitHub, so how do I ask for a feature update to SMB2?  The last thing I need is my system to participate in a WannaCry outbreak...