cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime time and Stingray

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

When we signed up to Ignite Flex 10 after July 2021 the choice to receive the Prime Time package $3 a month U.S. channels ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,and PBS from Buffalo and the Stingray music ( called Stingray Plus) $3 a month approximately 45 channels. Early in 2023 we found the Stingray APP in the app section on Ignite. After calling  Rogers to get an explanation ( they were no help whatsoever) I sent a email to Stingray they sent back the explanation that their music channels were now available to Ignite via their app and included. Stingray suggested to cancel our Stingray subscription of $3 with Rogers Ignite and use their app on Ignite. Which we did saving $3 a month instead of our subscription of Stingray Plus.

My question is has this happened also to the Prime Time Pack $3 a month after Rogers has discontinued the Flex Platforms Starter, 5, 10 and 20 with Sports to new customers as of November 6, 2023, but existing customers can maintain their excising Flex Package choice.

After looking through a lot of posts regarding the Prime Time package, a lot of posts by subscribers have mentioned that they didn’t have the Prime Time Package $3 a month extra prior in their Flex package - Starter, Flex 5, 10 and 20 + Sports prior to November 6, 2023 now receive those U.S. stations  4+1 and are included.

Piping the Flex platform 

After a callback from the Roger’s Office of the President yesterday all they wanted to do was to sell or move me over to the new “ Popular” or “Total” package which are expensive and would include the U.S. Buffalo channels, but also a lot of unwanted channels.

So by reading other members posts that are still part of the Flex platform and are now receiving the U.S. channels ( Prime Time) after the November 6, 2023 and Roger’s rejigging of channels and dropping the Flex platform to new customers and introducing the Starter, Popular and Total Packages where the Prime Time channels are included.

As with Stingray situation I dropped the Stingray Plus $3 a month package use the app on Ignite TV , but also use the Stingray app on our mobile devices. And save $3 a month.

So by reading other comments that have different Flex packages can I drop the Prime Time Pack saving $3 a month and now get the U.S. channels included with our Flex 10 package

Very confused

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Prime time and Stingray

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 : Here are my comments

1. If the item in MyRogers doesn't, impact my final bill, then after trying to get it fixed, I leave it alone.

2. For example, I deleted Disney+ from my account a few years ago, but it showed in MyRogers until I got a new package.  No idea why.

3. Another example, my Monthly Internet usage is not showing in MyRogers (app or web).  I advised them, but since it shows properly on my bill and since my Internet is unlimited, I've stopped banging my head against that wall and feel much better.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:  So by reading other comments that have different Flex packages can I drop the Prime Time Pack saving $3 a month and now get the U.S. channels included with our Flex 10 package

As long as you're on your existing contract, you'll probably need to continue to pay to get the Prime Time pack.  Once you get a new contract, it appears that the Prime Time pack is now included in all new packages/bundles.  See my post on that topic below, but you'd need to confirm when/if you get a new overall bundle:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Flex-Channels/m-p/524690/highlight/true#M19158

You would obviously need to look at the overall pricing for the new bundle.  You could also check with Rogers now to see if they'll drop the $3 charge for the Prime Time pack while continuing to get the channels...

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Thanks 57,

To me it is still very confusing. I wrote to the Office of the President yesterday morning and received a call back later in the afternoon. The answer about removing the $ 3 charge was a definite NO!! and no reason for not removing the charge. All he wanted to do was sell me the Popular or Total. I explained that went to Flex to eliminate all the unwanted channels that was in our Premier package with Digital, so by moving to these two he was trying to get us to take we would be back a square one. But will not remove the $3 monthly charge if we continue with our Flex. I will be honest with you, we do have an Accessibility discount with all our services, and I don’t know if this plays a factor. We have been with Rogers for over 30 years and I would hope some form of loyalty would play a factor. I am sure when Ted Rogers started up Rogers Cable those 4+1 U.S. stations have always been included.

The story about the U.S. Channels not being included after July 2021 with any Flex package can be found online. It basically says and not word for word that Rogers deemed these to be distant stations and could not be picked over the air and that most Canadians could watch theirs shows and programs on a Canadian TV station. ( channel substitution). I live near London, Ontario and neighbours of ours,  some are with Bell, Execulink, V Media, Start TV, Teksavvy and they get the U.S. channels included with no extra charge. 

So as with Stingray Plus through Ignite which we dropped back in 2023 save $3 dollars a month an use the Stingray app on the TV, and we both have Stingray app on our Ipads free.

So somebody needs to step up for me, as reading your story about someone signing up for Flex 20 + Sports well after the November 6, 2023 and when supposedly Flex was discontinued and they got the Flex 20 and the U.S. channels included at no extra cost.

But we will certainly not be going to Popular or Total just to get the US channels included and get a 100 channels that we will never watch.

HELP!! to many different answers and stories.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

1. So somebody needs to step up for me, as reading your story about someone signing up for Flex 20 + Sports well after the November 6, 2023 and when supposedly Flex was discontinued and they got the Flex 20 and the U.S. channels included at no extra cost.

2. But we will certainly not be going to Popular or Total just to get the US channels included and get a 100 channels that we will never watch.

1. That's not what my link says at all. It says my friend has Flex 10 (and internet).  He got this when he was migrated to IgniteTV in February 2024.  Several of us have surmised that Rogers brought back the Flex 10/20 packages in 2024 because there was too much of a difference between Starter and Popular for many people.

2. No need, as we believe that the Prime Time pack is included in the "new 2024" Flex 10 and Flex 20 bundles, however, that bundle price many reflect that fact, and it doesn't apply to those who signed onto Flex before November 2023, which I assume you did.

2a. It's interesting that when I check the channel lineup options for Rogers Bundles, Flex10 or Flex 20 are not shown as  options - only Starter, Popular and Total, so I'm not sure how those (Flex) bundles are handed out - perhaps on a case-by-case basis.  Even Starter includes the Prime Time Pack though...

https://www.rogers.com/bundles/offers

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers does sell other TV bundles:

Flex 20 Including Sports is still available through the Connected for Success program.

Ignite TV for Business is also very attractively priced and offers its own packages... but only to Business customers.

It's possible that Rogers might also still offer Flex 10 as part of Bulk Agreements.

However, for the rest of us, we currently only have our choice of Starter TV, Popular TV and Total TV.

If you are on an older, grandfathered bundle, you get what you get depending on when you signed up for the package.  The only way to change that is to switch to a new in-market bundle.

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Thank you for your explanation regarding the Prime Time Pack we have with our Flex 10 package.

We have lived in Ingersoll for over 10 years had the Digital Premier package and received all the U.S. channels inclusive with that package and no extra theme cost. When we migrated to Ignite and choose Flex 10. ( the reason the PVR died) Rogers said to get the U.S. channels on Ignite that they were considered distant channels and couldn’t be picked up over the air. Also if we wanted the Stingray music channels we would have to subscribe to Stingray Plus at $3 a month since 2023 we cancelled that theme pack as Stingray made changes with Rogers now using their app on Ignite and our mobile devices which is included with our Flex 10

I still believe this is something that Rogers cooked back back up July 7, 2021 regarding the Flex platform and was not mandated by the CRTC.

When investigating this with one of  big TV providers ( Execulink) in southwestern Ontario who provide their subscribers the with the U.S. at no extra cost ( inclusive) He said he would go one step further and check if Execulink had been directed by the CRTC  in rule or regulation to do what Rogers did back 2021 with the Flex platform.

My conclusion is that this was something that Rogers cooked with the Flex platform as no other provider was directed by the CRTC  by regulation to do what Rogers did and now with Flex platform supposedly discontinued want subscribers to subscribers to these big packages with a lot of channels that people don’t want.

They weren’t considered distant or not available over the air on our Rogers Premier Digital - Legacy) Package living in the exact same area back in 2016 

Wish me luck me when the Office of the President calls back next week

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 : just as an FYI, Bell is now charging $3 for the US channels. See the following link, bottom of the page.

https://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Fibe-Programming-Packages/Other-add-ons.tab

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Was not including the 4+1 U.S. channels for all Flex packages after July 2021 and creating the Prime pack for all of Ontario as I live in Ontario or only in select areas of the province.

Was this mandated or regulated by the CRTC to all TV and IPTV providers or strictly a decision  by Rogers on their own. 

I have searched the CRTC website and have not located any decision related to this issue

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

Thank you for your explanation regarding the Prime Time Pack we have with our Flex 10 package.

We have lived in Ingersoll for over 10 years had the Digital Premier package and received all the U.S. channels inclusive with that package and no extra theme cost. When we migrated to Ignite and choose Flex 10. ( the reason the PVR died) Rogers said to get the U.S. channels on Ignite that they were considered distant channels and couldn’t be picked up over the air. Also if we wanted the Stingray music channels we would have to subscribe to Stingray Plus at $3 a month since 2023 we cancelled that theme pack as Stingray made changes with Rogers now using their app on Ignite and our mobile devices which is included with our Flex 10

I still believe this is something that Rogers cooked back back up July 7, 2021 regarding the Flex platform and was not mandated by the CRTC.

See my post here where we started discussing these changes.

There are no mandatory carriage requirements for the US networks.  The CRTC did not mandate any changes nor did Rogers break any CRTC rules by removing US networks from a package.

There was a period of time where Rogers made a number of unpopular changes to Ignite TV.  For example, early Ignite TV customers got Home Phone with unlimited Canada-wide calling FOR FREE.  Then, one day, without warning, new customers signing up still got Home Phone for free but only with local calling.  Then then later made Home Phone a chargeable option.  If you are on one of those original grandfathered packages, you will continue to get Home Phone with unlimited Canada-wide calling for free.  However, even if you are prepared to forego any continued promotional discounts but need to, say, increase the speed of your Internet service, you will be forced to switch to an in-market bundle and will lose the grandfathered benefits that came with your old bundle.

Rogers also pulled channels (e.g. Fox Racing) from the flex channel pool, forcing ALL customers wanting that channel to pay extra.

They removed the US networks from the base bundles.

"Flex 20 Plus Sports" had its name changed to "Flex 20 Including Sports".  The price of the package went up and they dropped the total number of Flex Channels in the package from 28 to 20.

They also made a silent change to Premier, reducing the number of Flex Channels from 87 to 63.... BUT THEY DID NOT CHANGE THE NAME OF THE PACKAGE.  This came a big surprise to customers when their promotional pricing expired -- they negotiated new discounts but, unknowingly, were switched to a "new" Premier package where they were now not only paying more but also getting fewer channels.

These are just some changes that come to mind.  Rogers can put whatever spin they want to justify the changes but they were all clearly made to squeeze more money out of their customer base.  Analysts and shareholders want to see steady revenue growth AND see ARPU grow year over year, and executives need to hit key performance metrics to earn their bonuses -- and that is why they made these changes.  The only thing restraining them from making even more aggressive changes is that customers will leave in droves.

When investigating this with one of  big TV providers ( Execulink) in southwestern Ontario who provide their subscribers the with the U.S. at no extra cost ( inclusive) He said he would go one step further and check if Execulink had been directed by the CRTC  in rule or regulation to do what Rogers did back 2021 with the Flex platform.

Okay.

My conclusion is that this was something that Rogers cooked with the Flex platform as no other provider was directed by the CRTC  by regulation to do what Rogers did and now with Flex platform supposedly discontinued want subscribers to subscribers to these big packages with a lot of channels that people don’t want.

They weren’t considered distant or not available over the air on our Rogers Premier Digital - Legacy) Package living in the exact same area back in 2016 

Wish me luck me when the Office of the President calls back next week

You are getting all hung up on this whole "distant or not available over the air" thing.  That's Roger PR spin on a business decision that they made; nothing more.

The CRTC requires that BDUs offer an affordable basic package for $25/month and options to obtain additional channels either individually or as part of small bundles/theme packs.

Affordable basic package

Priced at no more than $25/month (excluding equipment)

Includes:

- Local and regional TV stations
- Channels with mandatory distribution
- Community and provincial legislature channels (where available)
- Provincial/territorial educational channels

May also include:

- Other Canadian over-the-air stations
- Local AM and FM radio stations
- American networks (ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) and PBS
- Educational channels of another province or territory in each official language (if none is offered)

Other than that, a TV service provider is free to structure and price their other channel packages however they please.  As a consumer, you also have freedom of choice.  If you do not like what Rogers offers or disapprove of their business decisions, you are free to select another service provider that offers better value.

Rogers also made a business decision to include US channels in their new Ignite TV bundles.  You are free to switch to one of these new packages or stick to what you have.  Rogers is not under any obligation to provide the US stations to you free of charge.

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Hi G,

We can agree to disagree. We are already seeing huge changes with the INTERNET playing a big part rather than just Rogers or any other provider’s cable

coming to the side of our homes. The broadcaster’s like CBC Gem, Global, CTV, City TV, Yes TV, TVO etc. aren’t broadcasting their signal over the air, they are using the internet. The big streamers like Netflix, Prime, Paramount use the internet, along with 1000’s of others.

When we lived in Brampton we received 35 channels from Toronto, Barrie, Kitchener and Buffalo with a digital antenna. These were over the air and are one of the choices the CRTC offer Canadians. 

When I read Flex will not carry the Buffalo channels after July 2021 as they were distant and can’t be received over the air. Then can you explain why they were not distant or a monthly charge of $3 when they were included in our Premier package on Rogers Digital, but when they were carried on Rogers IPTV all of a sudden there appears a $3 extra monthly charge.

But if that $3 charge was included and subscribers didn’t see it on example Digital Premier.

We did pay with our Flex 10  for Stingray Plus $3 for about 45 music channels when we migrated to Ignite. We saw the music channel selected shortly after our migration and it started sending you to the third party app of Stingray. Rogers was no help explaining this. I wrote Stingray and they explained what was happening and suggested that I cancel my Stingray Plus with Rogers use the app on Ignite or download their app to our mobile devices so that you don’t have sit in front of TV or be at home, now you can take Stingray with you on you mobile devices. We now receive 1000’s of different and save $3. And yet when we called Rogers to cancel Stingray Plus, the CSR at Rogers  said you know you won’t be able to get your music channels anymore. We receive 1000’s now all commercial free Tv, phone and IPad

Again the internet has opened the door to the public, in my option Rogers and other providers won’t be around in the next 5 years, there now is another path reaching our homes.  For example CP 24 and CTV News Channel and City News 24/7 are available with most tv providers. But all have free apps and free to watch

and now reach more people on the mobile devices ( they are ad supported)

Agree to Disagree, big changes are coming

We will see what the Office of the President offers us.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

When I read Flex will not carry the Buffalo channels after July 2021 as they were distant and can’t be received over the air. Then can you explain why they were not distant or a monthly charge of $3 when they were included in our Premier package on Rogers Digital, but when they were carried on Rogers IPTV all of a sudden there appears a $3 extra monthly charge.

But if that $3 charge was included and subscribers didn’t see it on example Digital Premier.

See my post here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Changes-to-Ignite-TV-Channels-in-Packages-and-Theme-...

I copied this information, verbatim, from MyRogers.

On July 7, 2021, Rogers made the decision to remove US networks from all Ignite TV packages.  I was basically told that I would not see them in my list of subscribed channels but that I would remain subscribed to these channels.

My parents were also about to subscribe to Ignite TV at that time, and they just missed out on being able to receive the US networks for free by only a few days because they held off switching for a few days so that they could view a few more shows that they had recorded on their PVR.  There was no warning of this change.

In September, 2021, I made a bundle change and then I too had to pay extra to receive the US networks.

(Previously, I had also lost the Stingray channels when I downgraded from being one of the earliest Premier subscribers to Flex 20 Plus Sports.)

Again the internet has opened the door to the public, in my option Rogers and other providers won’t be around in the next 5 years, there now is another path reaching our homes.  For example CP 24 and CTV News Channel and City News 24/7 are available with most tv providers. But all have free apps and free to watch

and now reach more people on the mobile devices ( they are ad supported)

Yes, and Bell has also launched 10 free, ad-supported channels that will be available on various smart TVs and streaming platforms.

Agree to Disagree, big changes are coming

This is not a great time for broadcast TV or for the streaming services or for their customers.

We will see what the Office of the President offers us.

I really do wish you all the best of luck.

It will also be interesting to see what happens when Flex 10 (or Flex 5 or Flex 20) customers' bundle discounts expire, and they will have to make the choice of switching to a higher-tier package that is not a good fit, pay a premium for Flex 10, or possibly leave.

Hopefully, Rogers will resurrect the Flex 5/10/20 packages (or a Pick 5/10/20 add-on to Starter) because they are a good fit for many customers.

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Couldn’t agree more, the choices that are available to the public are endless now. (Internet). Most of our friends have either switched to a Flex package before it was supposedly discontinued or gone back to Starter or Basic. I surely will never pay twice as much for a package of 80 or 90 unwanted channels. (Total or Popular) As the CRTC said with “Let’s Talk Tv” a few years. The consumer should have choices. But also the CRTC  mandates certain channels to be carried and when I first subscribed to cable when Ted Rogers started Rogers the 4+1 Buffalo channels have always been included.

It’s been a great conversation and yes things don’t stay the same forever, but when subscribers demand better or stop subscribing hopefully better business decisions will be made or Rogers won’t have subscribers.

Thanks for the conversation and info G and 57

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Hi G, The response from Office of President to remove the $3 charge for Prime Time Package from our Flex 10 package was a definite NO. The answer was if you want this package included then you would have change to the New packages introduced November 1, 2023 Starter, Popular or Total and Flex was discontinued to new customers, but existing could keep. He said they received more complaints about Flex. Yet back in 2016 the CRTC held hearings “Let’s Talk Tv” the biggest complaint from Canadians was Canadians want to choose the channels they want and not be stuck with big bundles of unwatched and unwanted channels.

Rogers has made a decision to take this choice away with going back to big bundles. ( except for the mandatory Starter at $25) where a la carte channels becomes very expensive) We will remain with the Flex platform for as long as it is available I told him.

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Why has it taken from late February to get something fixed on My Rogers account

a ticket case number was created back then C1963xxxxx. Just amazing service

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

I asked for help back in February 2024. A case number or ticket was created and  was sent to me.

They assured me this would be corrected in a timely manner. When you go into Manage your Channels and Themes Packs and you scroll down it says “ You have the following”. Up to November 1, 2023 there were two icons ( Prime Time Pack $3 and next to there is an icon ( 4K Pack $0.00). The Prime time icon has disappeared ( Why?) but still being charged $3 for the Prime Time pack on our Ignite 10 Plex Pack. I had emails sent unlinking MyRogers and relinking it.  

Looking through the Forum posts I see subscribers that didn’t receive the U.S. channels with their Flex package are now receiving them, this seemed to all change when Rogers discontinued the Flex platform and introduced new packages that now include them ( Starter, Popular and Total) November 1, 2023. Are the U.S (Buffalo) channels now included with our Ignite Flex 10 package.

Besides the above why hasn’t the ticket or case number Rogers created and sent to me been resolved as the issue is at your end, not mine. 

This is totally unacceptable, and total disgrace

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

1. Are the U.S (Buffalo) channels now included with our Ignite Flex 10 package.

2. Besides the above why hasn’t the ticket or case number Rogers created and sent to me been resolved as the issue is at your end, not mine. 

We have discussed this several times in several of your threads - summary below.

1. My friend has the prime time pack channels included in his Flex 10 (plus Internet) bundle that he negotiated in Oshawa in February 2024.  Not sure if it's even available to you.

2. The only way you're likely to get these "free" is if you switch to one of the new packages, not on your current bundle.

3. You stated that you've already been told by Rogers that they will not reduce the price of your bundle by $3.  What more do you want in the way of communication?

Hi @Flavour1,

I hope you've had a chance to review 57's post in this thread. As far as the ticket on your account is concerned. We can check the status of the ticket for you. Please send us a PM and we'll be happy to provide you with the updates.

RogersZia

Good Morning Zia,

All I would like to see is the Prime Time Theme pack icon under “You have the following” in Manage Channels and Theme packs. The Office of the President called last week and explained that the Prime Time Pack 4+1 U.S. channels will remain with our Flex 10 at $3 a month until there is a change. I am willing to accept this. But but that Prime Pack Icon must be there “ You have the following.

Secondly on June 10 2023 a call was made to remove “ The Canadian timeshift channels and the U.S. Timeshift ones. The customer service rep asked if this was to be immediately my answer was YES. Later that day I received a email confirmation I checked and yes they had all been removed from our Flex 10 and Guide.

Yesterday all the U.S. timeshift channels have reappeared in the guide and you can watch them. I tried a reboot of our  entertainment box but to no avail.

If these two issues aren’t corrected by the end of the week we will definitely be looking for a new tv provider. I have done my part now it’s time Rogers start getting things corrected at their end.

Yes I have read 57’s comments on the Prime Time Pack with Flex. The Office of the President has explained the other day also to get the 4+1 U.S. channels I would have to go to the New Starter, Popular or Total packages introduced in November 2023 and at that time Flex platforms would be discontinued to new customers, but existing customers could keep their existing Flex package. They have credited my account for a year for the prime Time Package. We compared costs and different options and basically that the Flex 10 with Prime time pack for the channels we watch and are able to swap ones in and out ( without having a lot unwanted channels in a big bundle) and take advantage of Free Previews, is our best value for the time being. We will remain with the Flex 10 with the prime Time Pack

That said a ticket was created back in February and has never been  resolved regarding the icon “You Have the Following” only icon showing still is 4K package $0.00. I explained to Office of the President I have been sent emails telling me that My Rogers account had been unlinked and shortly after receiving that email I received another email that my Rogers account had been relinked. Nothing has changed. Technical support has been contacted also.

Is this a technical IT issue. Could someone please explain, I think I have waited long enough for an answer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 : Here are my comments

1. If the item in MyRogers doesn't, impact my final bill, then after trying to get it fixed, I leave it alone.

2. For example, I deleted Disney+ from my account a few years ago, but it showed in MyRogers until I got a new package.  No idea why.

3. Another example, my Monthly Internet usage is not showing in MyRogers (app or web).  I advised them, but since it shows properly on my bill and since my Internet is unlimited, I've stopped banging my head against that wall and feel much better.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

That said a ticket was created back in February and has never been  resolved regarding the icon “You Have the Following” only icon showing still is 4K package $0.00. I explained to Office of the President I have been sent emails telling me that My Rogers account had been unlinked and shortly after receiving that email I received another email that my Rogers account had been relinked. Nothing has changed. Technical support has been contacted also.

Is this a technical IT issue. Could someone please explain, I think I have waited long enough for an answer.

Are you seeing the same with both the MyRogers mobile app and with a web browser?  If so, it is possible that there is a glitch with your account.  Take a screen capture or snippet of what you see under "You Have the Following", sent it via private message to @CommunityHelps , and ask them to open a ticket for the back-end team to investigate.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation