tk427
I'm here a lot

How come there isn’t an ignite tv app for Apple TV

***Added Labels***

25 REPLIES 25

Re: No Ignite TV app for Apple TV

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
There are no ignite TV apps for any 3rd party tv platform (apple TV, Android tv, roku, etc)

If you want to watch on your TV, you need to pay for a Rogers box.

jimderlatka
I've been here awhile
bell crave,
vmedia
tecksavvy

all now have Apple TV apps for their services, why doesnt rogers.....

Short answer, might be Comcast.

This is a technology developed for/by Comcast in the US.. If they have not added it, it wont really be available for rogers to use it up here.

Doing some quick searches.. it looks like they MIGHT have just added technology for this recently for Comcast.. so something we might see up here?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Comcast allows customers to access their Xfinity TV service with a Roku app as well as their Smart TVs.  There is already another thread in the Rogers forums asking about their availability on Ignite TV.

The status of plans for an Xfinity Stream launch on Apple TV seems to be a bit murky at the moment.  There are reports of contractual and tvOS platform integration issues that need to be resolved but I don't know how credible these reports actually are.  When Comcast does offer their app on additional partner devices, we'll see it here.

Fearme
I plan to stick around
I hope it comes soon!! It’s on the iPhone and iPad so why not Apple TV?

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
Because having it on iPad and iPhone doesn't eat into box rental revenue....

Agreed!! I’m with Bell for the reason that I can get their Bell Fibe ALT option and not have a single set top box to pay rent on. Rogers needs this option. I would go back if they had Ignite skinny option on Apple TV and Firestick. Im sure many others would as well.

JR2009
I've been around
Hi we just got Rogers ignite tv package. We also have a subscription to Apple TV programs. Is there any way to get the Apple TV on our smart tv. We have a subscription to Netflix and prime and we’re able to get those. But not apple help

kks
I've been here awhile
I would like to know too. We have Amazon prime on our tv with ignite and also Netflix but not Apple TV? What gives?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JR2009 wrote:
Hi we just got Rogers ignite tv package. We also have a subscription to Apple TV programs. Is there any way to get the Apple TV on our smart tv. We have a subscription to Netflix and prime and we’re able to get those. But not apple help

Interesting question.  This thread topic concerns users who want to watch Ignite TV on an Apple TV streaming device.  You and @kks are asking about when we might be able to watch the Apple TV+ streaming service on our Ignite TV set-top boxes.

According to the Apple TV+ web site and the Apple TV app support page, Apple TV+ can be streamed on Roku and Amazon Fire TV streaming devices and on many smart TVs.  However, Apple has not yet released a streaming app for the Comcast Xfinity set-top boxes.  Until they do, we will not see an Apple TV+ app on Ignite TV or on Ignite SmartStream.

AalyG8or
I've been around
Its more than just no App. They deliberately go out of their wY to let you mirror to your own smart TV.. so constricting, making me think twice about staying with Rogers!

Dorothyjmc
I've been here awhile

I have an Apple TV streaming receiver....not looking for an app. Does this not work either?

Philip144
I plan to stick around

(post merged)

Does the Ignite TV software install on the Apple TV 4K device? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Philip144 wrote:

Does the Ignite TV software install on the Apple TV 4K device? 

No.  Rogers has an Ignite TV iOS app, that can be installed on an iPhone or iPad, but does not have a tvOS app for Apple TV.  The big showstopper for this is that Comcast has not yet released an Xfinity TV tvOS app.  However, Rogers has also not yet released an Ignite TV app for any of the other streaming boxes or smart TVs that Comcast does support.

Philip144
I plan to stick around

Thank you.  It's back to my Intel NUC approach and Wonderful Windows 10!

bwilliamp
I plan to stick around

Is there any update on Rogers Ignite TV app coming to Apple TV yet? Now that Comcast has stated they will bring AppleTV+ to their boxes and also release an app for the AppleTV.

https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-app-comcast-xfinity-sky-150136639.html

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bwilliamp wrote:

Is there any update on Rogers Ignite TV app coming to Apple TV yet? Now that Comcast has stated they will bring AppleTV+ to their boxes and also release an app for the AppleTV.

https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-app-comcast-xfinity-sky-150136639.html

That's a really good question.  Generally, Rogers will not comment on any future plans.  Technically, the Xfinity Stream apps are still in beta so that may be one reason why we have not seen them yet.  Rogers also allows casting from their Ignite TV mobile apps so I don't think that a set-top box app would be out of the question.

As for the Apple TV+ app coming to the X1 platform and plans for Comcast's streaming TV app (finally!) coming to Apple TV, that's great news.

However, bringing the Ignite TV app to streaming platforms will still be a scary thing for Rogers... partially due to the costs involved and primarily due to the prospect of lower revenues from set-top box rentals.  Of course, such an offering will make Ignite TV more compelling to new subscribers and also enable Rogers to create a TV product offering for Fido customers.

Perhaps the biggest factor in where Rogers' product offerings and strategies go will be how current events play out on the Board of Directors and the impacts that this will will have on the senior leadership team and the overall direction of the company.

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around
Looks like this may soon change. Comcast and Apple have inked a new deal to support each other’s apps on Apple TV and xFinity.

Philip144
I plan to stick around

This is a good thing.

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around

Comcast just announced that AppleTVplus is coming to their Xfinity boxes over the next few days... I anticipate that this means it will eventually make its way to Rogers soon as well (fingers crossed)

Topic Stats