cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite tv guide: can the style (colour/size/font) be changed

Aj5359
I plan to stick around

Is it possible to change the font (colour/type/size) on the interactive guide or are there different preset styles that can be accessed?  Thanks!

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite tv guide: can the style (colour/size/font) be changed

RogersMaude

Good day @Aj5359,

Thanks for posting your question about the Ignite TV guide! 

The Ignite TV Guide provides the ultimate TV experience by combining all your viewing options with easy, streamlined navigation. Here is how to manage the Guide to make the most out of its offerings.

How to increase the font size of your Ignite TV Guide text using the Enhanced Text Readability setting:

1. Press the Rogers button on your remote and use the right and left arrow keys to highlight the Settings ⚙️. Press OK.
  2. Use the down arrow key to highlight Accessibility Settings and press OK.
  3. Use the down arrow key to highlight Enhanced Text Readability. Press OK to turn the setting on or off.
  4. A notification will appear to let you know that turning Enhanced Text Readability on or off requires your Ignite TV to refresh the system, which will take a moment to complete. Press OK to proceed or press the right arrow and then OK to cancel.
  5. After your box refreshes, press the Guide button to the lower-left of your remote control's directional arrow pad to check out the new text size in the Guide.

By accessing that menu, you can adjust the Background Darkness of your Ignite TV Guide:

1. Press the Rogers button on your Voice Remote to open the main menu.
  2. Select Settings ⚙️.
  3. Select Preferences.
  4. Select General.
  5. Using the right arrow button, highlight Background Darkness Level and press OK.
  6. Using the right arrow or left arrow buttons on your remote, choose the darkness you prefer and press OK (this choice will return you to the General screen).
  7. Press the Exit button on remote to finish.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RogersMaude

Good day @Aj5359,

Thanks for posting your question about the Ignite TV guide! 

The Ignite TV Guide provides the ultimate TV experience by combining all your viewing options with easy, streamlined navigation. Here is how to manage the Guide to make the most out of its offerings.

How to increase the font size of your Ignite TV Guide text using the Enhanced Text Readability setting:

1. Press the Rogers button on your remote and use the right and left arrow keys to highlight the Settings ⚙️. Press OK.
  2. Use the down arrow key to highlight Accessibility Settings and press OK.
  3. Use the down arrow key to highlight Enhanced Text Readability. Press OK to turn the setting on or off.
  4. A notification will appear to let you know that turning Enhanced Text Readability on or off requires your Ignite TV to refresh the system, which will take a moment to complete. Press OK to proceed or press the right arrow and then OK to cancel.
  5. After your box refreshes, press the Guide button to the lower-left of your remote control's directional arrow pad to check out the new text size in the Guide.

By accessing that menu, you can adjust the Background Darkness of your Ignite TV Guide:

1. Press the Rogers button on your Voice Remote to open the main menu.
  2. Select Settings ⚙️.
  3. Select Preferences.
  4. Select General.
  5. Using the right arrow button, highlight Background Darkness Level and press OK.
  6. Using the right arrow or left arrow buttons on your remote, choose the darkness you prefer and press OK (this choice will return you to the General screen).
  7. Press the Exit button on remote to finish.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Aj5359
I plan to stick around

Thank you!  Much better now.

Doh1
I've been around
The quide is very hard to read. It makes no difference if I put background darkness number at 1 or 11..Terrible drives me crazy..Please redesign this feature..Hard to believe with technology today this is the best Roger's can do

Reignmoose
I've been around
There needs to be a colour change option. I upgraded and my father with eyesight issues cannot see the menu due to the heavy contrast of white text on black. We had options before. There needs to be more settings. Not impressed.

arecad
I plan to stick around

White text on black background is actually the worst possible combination for people that have astigmatism and it's pretty bad that Rogers did not do their homework about the UI before releasing the service. It's a fact that almost 50% of the population have this eye condition (including myself) and when we look at white text on black, it has a halo effect. There are a lot of articles online explaining this and I suggest that Rogers takes this into consideration and looks to do a software update to allow us to change the colours so that we can properly read the guide and other screens.

More info here: https://www.essentialaccessibility.com/blog/accessibility-for-people-with-astigmatism

Hoping Rogers looks into this and corrects this soon because I am tired of straining to read the guide. Increasing the font size only helps a little but it doesn't correct the halo around the text.

Reidster04
I've been here awhile

This answer option is still not acceptable for older people with low vision, we’ve turned the darkness both up and down and have the accessibility on and it’s still hard for my parents to see the guide!  Your old version guide was much better for viewing channels and synopsis of shows for elderly people! 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Reidster04 wrote:

This answer option is still not acceptable for older people with low vision, we’ve turned the darkness both up and down and have the accessibility on and it’s still hard for my parents to see the guide!  Your old version guide was much better for viewing channels and synopsis of shows for elderly people! 

In addition to adjusting the "Background Darkness  Level" and enabling "Enhanced Text Readability", the only other thing that I can suggest would be to enable "Voice Guidance" in Accessibility Settings.  This acts as a screen reader, that reads Ignite TV's on-screen text out loud, including text the Guide.

Just out of curiosity, what was it about Digital TV that worked well for your parents?  Was there a particular foreground/background colour combination, font type or font size that made it easier for your parents to read?  What specific aspect about the Ignite TV UI makes it difficult for them to use and what specific thing would you like to see changed?  Was Digital TV also easier for them to use just because they were much more familiar with it?

Reidster04
I've been here awhile

I think the issue is there isn’t enough definition between the channels in the guide and the highlighting of the channels is easier to see in the evening but during the day (*even though their house is fairly dark) the glare makes it more difficult...it would be better if you could turn up the printing to brighter white colours for them. 

Reidster04
I've been here awhile
Side note they do have the voice command enabled but it causes more issues honestly. Old people don’t talk as clearly as young people or as loud & that could be the issue. It tends to be frustrating for older people.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Voice Commands and Voice Guidance are two different things.  When you enable Voice Guidance, the Ignite set-top box SPEAKS and reads the Guide and other on-screen UI text out loud.

Can I decrease the font on the interactive TV guide? 

Greetings @Barrettwm!

You can adjust the on-screen text size by following the below steps:

1. Press the Rogers button on your Voice Remote.
  2. Use the arrow buttons to highlight and select Settings. Press Ok.
  3. Use the arrow buttons to select Accessibility Settings. Press OK.
  4. Use the arrow buttons to select Enhanced Text Readability. Press OK.  A notification displays to let you know that turning Enhanced Text Readability on or off requires Ignite TV to refresh the system, which will take a moment to complete.
  5. Press OK to proceed, or press the right arrow and then OK to cancel.
  6. After your Ignite TV box refreshes, press the Guide button on your Voice Remote to check out the new text size in the Guide.

If you have difficulty reading on-screen text, you may also benefit from enabling Voice Guidance, the talking guide feature on Ignite TV. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey , what @Barrettwm wants to achieve is a decrease, not increase in font size, presumably to fit more text into the boxes or some other purpose. I don't believe that is possible.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 10 in conversation