cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV XiOne - Public Availability?

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor

Is the XiOne publicly available?

If so, how does one go about getting one (or 4)?

***Edited Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ignite TV XiOne - Public Availability?

chrisuz91
I plan to stick around
No. 😢

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lurker_Returns wrote:

Is the XiOne publicly available?

If so, how does one go about getting one (or 4)?

That is a really good question.  As far as I know, the XiOne STBs are technically available but I don't know whether they are being shipped to customers yet or whether they (Rogers) are still finalizing the design of the new retail packaging.  I also don't know whether you will even be able to specifically order the XiOne either.

I have an XiOne, that I received as part of a test trial.  However, I don't know whether I will given the option to upgrade any of my other Xi6 STBs at a later date.

@Lurker_Returns  Is there a specific reason that you wish to upgrade your current STBs?

At the moment, the XiOne STB is more about future-proofing; it has updated internals but most people probably will not notice any difference between the Xi6 and XiOne in normal day-to-day use.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

My son in Ottawa had Ignite TV but decided to cancel it but keep the internet and upgrade it to 500megs. As part of the promotion for the 500m internet he was given Disney + free. They sent him a XiOne STB. This was 4 months ago. He never activated it.  He just uses the free Disney + on his streaming device.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

My son in Ottawa had Ignite TV but decided to cancel it but keep the internet and upgrade it to 500megs. As part of the promotion for the 500m internet he was given Disney + free. They sent him a XiOne STB. This was 4 months ago. He never activated it.  He just uses the free Disney + on his streaming device.

Rogers sent him an XiOne?  Four months ago?  How?  Was this by accident?  ...or is/was he a Rogers employee?  ...or did they just send him an Xi6 in the new retail box with the XiOne pictured on the front?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Nope it was a XiONE. he sent me a picture of the actual STB.

No he is not an employee.

Lurker_Returns

I'm not happy with the Xi6's performance on streaming apps (particularly Disney+, which gets a lot of use in my house).

I may also be mistaken, but doesn't the new box handle things like Dolby Atmos on the streaming side whereas the Xi6 doesn't on its apps?

Plus I just like new stuff 🙂. If I'm paying a rental fee on a box, I sure as heck want the best one that Rogers has.

@Lurker_Returns wrote:

I'm not happy with the Xi6's performance on streaming apps (particularly Disney+, which gets a lot of use in my house).

I don't mean to be a buzzkill but it's still basically the same X1 app, just on a different box.  The XiOne has 4GB of RAM (vs 2GB on the Xi6) so apps may appear to load faster but you really won't notice any difference when you use them, at least I didn't.

I may also be mistaken, but doesn't the new box handle things like Dolby Atmos on the streaming side whereas the Xi6 doesn't on its apps?

The XiOne has updated internals, and is made by a completely different vendor.  It supports 4K UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5, etc.  It can also decode AV1 in hardware.  However, some have reported issues with Dolby Atmos decoding, or that they don't get served Dolby Atmos content.  Also, if you have older (non-Bluetooth 5) audio receivers, you will still run into issues with audio getting out of sync.

You won't notice any difference whatsoever when using or watching Ignite TV on the XiOne; the picture quality is the same.  When it comes to streaming services, the XiOne is also still just as mediocre as the Xi6.  If you want a better experience watching/navigating content, you will be better off using any of the "best streaming media devices" on the market.

Plus I just like new stuff 🙂. If I'm paying a rental fee on a box, I sure as heck want the best one that Rogers has.

Don't get me wrong.  The XiOne is a perfectly good set-top box.  Slightly better than the Xi6.  If you can get one, great.  Just don't expect to be blown away by it.

Lurker_Returns
At $8/month per box, I'll take slightly better, thanks 🙂

You get one box "free" with IgniteTV. I believe additional boxes are now $10/mo.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I made some inquiries about the status of the XiOne and Xi6 set-top boxes and this is what I was able to find out:

The XiOne IS generally available and both the XiOne and Xi6 set-top boxes are in active circulation.  When you order an Ignite STB, you may get an XiOne or you may get an Xi6.  They are being treated as equivalent devices and  they share a common part number in Rogers' ordering system.  What you get depends on what they have available at the time.  There is no way to explicitly order an XiOne or an Xi6 box.  If my XiOne box were to ever fail, there is no guarantee that I would get another one; it might get replaced with an Xi6.  There is also no straightforward way to swap out an Xi6 and get it replaced with an XiOne.

This is similar to the situation with the Ignite XB6 and XB7 gateways.  When you order a new or replacement gateway, you could get either one, subject to availability.  Over time, the XB6 gateways are being taken out of circulation and it is much more likely now that your new/replacement Ignite gateway will be an XB7.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation