cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Housekeeping update message on TV

mascf1
I'm a reliable contributor

Today at around 4:15pm EDT all of my services went down after this message appeared on the TV screen "you caught us in the middle of a housekeeping update, we will be done in a few minutes".  This took out down of my Rogers services, not just the TV.  Rogers support has no clue what this is about, they've never heard of this on screen message before and could not see any update being pushed to my modem or TV.  My TV box is set to only allow updates between 4am-6am.

Has anyone else experienced this?

***Edited Labels***

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Housekeeping update message on TV

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1  Yes, I have seen this once before, at around 3:45 AM, and I had the presence of mind to snap a picture.  The precise wording of the message is:

Just a moment...

You've caught us in the middle of a quick household update.

We'll be finished in a few minutes.

. . .

I have no idea what the nature of this update is or what is getting updated.  It is different from the usual middle-of-the-night set-top box update.

mascf1
Happened to me while I was on a work conference call 🤬
Rogers support was completely clueless and said they’ve never heard of this before. Good to know other customers have experienced this.

gatoronto
I plan to stick around
Just happened to me. Down from 4:38p to 4:46p. Just installed ignite yesterday (Sept 21)

bcarrie
I've been around
It has done this twice to me this morning

Lisa_MacInnis
I've been here awhile
Just happened to us. But it cleared on its own.

melissambosco
I've been here awhile
Me too! It's driving me nuts. Taking forever to do the update.

Lisa_MacInnis
I've been here awhile
Ours did the exact same thing this morning. But it cleared itself.

Yes ours finally did as well. That was a pretty long update!

Wonder if this is more than a just basic maintenance reboot/update thing..

Major content update or something..

BUT.. it 
A) should normally still run at the scheduled time set for the reboots
B) If its something more major.. like HAS to be done there.. users should be notified.   Generally everyone has an email tied with their MyRogers, where they get their bill notifications, etc on.. send a "We will be doing an update mid day on Wednesday" sort of thing.

gatoronto
I plan to stick around
Totally agree. All updates should happen during the scheduled times. It only happened to me that one time so far.

ghcharters
I plan to stick around

Woodstock, Ontario ... we got this message as well this morning around 8:15 AM, IIRC.  It laster for about 5 minutes. About all I could do was change channels using voice commands. The picture didn't change but the sound was from the different channel. I have never seen this before. I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one. 

ML58
I've been here awhile
Shakespeare,ON - This update happens almost every night between 4 am to 6 am and it can last 30 + minutes. Our WIFI also goes out for the same period. It’s very frustrating for someone who tends to wake up around that time and would like to watch TV for a bit.

onehunkytenor
I've been around

Yes. Happening right now. What is this and why is it happening at 4:30 p.m. when we're watching TV? Why can't this take place at 3 a.m when drew asleep?  Time to get a clue!

Chantalv1
I've been around
Just happened now at 9:20 pm on my TV! What is this?

Same! I was in the middle of watching a PVR show. Can hear it, but can’t see it or pause it. Had to mute my tv so it doesn’t spoil it for me (BBCan). Super annoying. Why isn’t this happening at 3am when the rest of the updates??

raddar
I've been around
We had this happen to us tonight at 8:45 pm edt. We are in Markham. Can someone from Rogers explain why this is happening???
Thank you.

ML58
I've been here awhile
Since my original post back in Oct 2021 this issue has been getting worse. We have been receiving the “household update etc” message several times everyday and the message can stay on the tv screen for up to an hour. I’m wondering if Rogers is even seeing our posts on this community forum or if they even care???

Bonnie1234
I plan to stick around
I get the message when I restart my modem. I sent Rogers a photo of the screen and they said they have no reference about this message and linked me to this forum. How is that possible since so many people get this message!!

mascf1
That was completely useless of them, sending customers here to have other customers provide support they’re supposed be doing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bonnie1234 wrote:
I get the message when I restart my modem. I sent Rogers a photo of the screen and they said they have no reference about this message and linked me to this forum. How is that possible since so many people get this message!!

The only times that I have seen this message was when the TV was on and Rogers pushed a software update to my modem.  For me, it always happened in the middle of the night, around 4 AM.

If it is just the set-top boxes that are about to receive an update that requires a reboot, you get a different message, and an option to skip the update.

Unfortunately, almost nothing about the inner workings of Comcast's technology is documented publicly and probably only a select few, internally within Rogers, have access to this information.

Topic Stats