Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

Apparently Rogers just enjoys pissing off their customers,  raise the price , cut your service year in and year out.  Not a good marketing strategy.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I agree that rogers does not always some times have the best business decisions, etc..

In a lot of cases like that, its not always up to the carrier like rogers, bell, etc.  Its the channel owners itself which can hold a lot of the cards.   They often can make the decisions if the channel can be bundled or not, and is available by what method.  (Why some channels are not available via on demand, etc).  So something like this could be more FOX  end.

This has happened in the past with things like AMC before.  There was a big campaign by AMC itself, plastering stuff on the feed in their shows 'which rogers was threatening to not pick them up again, etc'.  What was failed to be mentioned, which was yes it was renewal time, but that AMC had been asking for a 400% increase in what they wanted for the channel.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So lets hear the explanation from Rogers,  were adults let us decide.  Rogers keeps us in the dark, explains nothing then they take the heat.  You don't know the answer,  no point in trying to cover for them if you don't know the facts.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wasnt trying to cover up for them.  I was just trying to provide OTHER information for those who may not know all the process potentially involved.
So like you said, people can then make their own decisions.

For your business (or who you work for), do they release every single monetary dealing, contract with vendors/customers, etc, out to the public?  No.

Really in the end, if you dont like how a company you are dealing with, be it rogers, bell, whoever period, is doing their business... then sever your business with them.
Just making people aware that this is pretty common practice with channels/tv carriers.. so may find it with other companies as well 😞

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User1030445 wrote:

So lets hear the explanation from Rogers,  were adults let us decide.  Rogers keeps us in the dark, explains nothing then they take the heat.  You don't know the answer,  no point in trying to cover for them if you don't know the facts.

RE's are Rogers customers too.  We do try to keep the discussions here positive, helpful and constructive but any changes that Rogers makes to packages and services also affect us just as much as they do you.

As for the explanation that you are hoping for, if the Moderators here do know the reasoning behind the channel-related changes, they themselves would not be authorized to comment on them, or any matters that are considered confidential or proprietary.  Rogers also, most likely, will not make any further statements beyond those that they have already released publicly.

However, the entire @CommunityHelps  team definitely does take note of any concerns that we express here and passes our feedback on to the product teams internally.

Right now, I'm anxious to hear what will become of CNBC, MSNBC and the Golf Channel a week from now, and see how Rogers will respond to other concerns that have been expressed in this thread.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers gets to decide what they tell us and what they don't.  Moderators should resist the temptation to try to explain away Rogers decisions without specific knowledge or the facts.  That isn't helpful.

In the end Rogers can hide behind their proprietary rationale , customers get to make choices as well. Cut my services each year while increasing my bill annually  in the end  makes the decision  easier.  On the other hand Rogers could explain the rationale for their decisions,  they have to do that with the CRTC all the time, why aren't customers worthy of that same consideration?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I contacted @RogersHelps using Twitter about MSNBC, CNBC, The Golf Channel. When I did this I was told to direct message them. I stated that I liked these channels and would be unhappy if they were removed and was told my feedback would be forwarded to Rogers. Not sure exactly where at Rogers it was forwarded to. Also there is a link to this forum on @RogersHelps so not sure if it’s directly connected to this forum. Maybe it helped sending feedback through Twitter. Probably not much but it was worth a try.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Once you have contacted Rogers you can also contact the CRTC concerning the removals of channels,  don't forget to mention Rogers was granted rate increases this year again....

Do you have a TV service complaint that you have not been able to fix with your provider?

You can contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). The CCTS is an independent organization dedicated to working with consumers and service providers to resolve complaints about TV, telephone and internet services. The CCTS website features additional resources on how you can submit a complaint.

Each year the CCTS reports publicly on all consumer complaints it receives. Read their annual and mid-year reports.

Contact the CCTS

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had a call from Rogers about the removal of Fox Sports Racing channel today.  They offered to restore it for me if I would pay an additional $7 a month.  So the stuff that has been posted here that it is no longer available or there is some negotiating issue with Fox  is just a lie.  I didn't have to change my package,  move to Ignite, just pay them more a month to get it.   That after they removed it from my service.

What gall this company has ,  agree to provide me a channel at a package price,  take it away from me and then offer it back at an $7 per month increase in price.   This after increasing my rates 11.5% since last year.  When I expressed my dismay that they would do this to me the rep was shocked that I was upset.  Really this is the way you treat your customers Roger and you are shocked?

I am going to the CRTC over this.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User1030445  I know that you are upset about losing Fox Sports Racing but the change related to that channel is different from that of CNBC/MSNBC/Golf.  Rogers simply decided to remove Fox Racing from the Premier package, for both Digital TV and Ignite TV customers.  They never said why.

In an earlier post, I said that this change didn't make sense to me.  Then, after giving it some more thought, I posted my own guess for the reasons behind the change.  In a nutshell, I suspected that Fox Racing likely had low viewership and the cost for keeping that channel was increasing due to the decreasing number of remaining Digital TV Premier subscribers.  If that is true, then they could either remove the channel from the package (otherwise, they would be paying considerable money so that all Premier subscribers could get a channel that only a few people watched) or they would have to increase monthly fee for Premier just to keep a channel around that only a few people watched.  Neither option would have been popular but removing the channel from Premier would have upset fewer people.

Regardless of the reason, this is not the first time that Rogers has removed channels from a package.  Sometimes channels cease broadcasting (IFC, Cosmo TV, and Comedy Gold to name a few) and sometimes Rogers decides not to carry them anymore.  (Stingray Juicebox/RETRO/LOUD/VIBE...)  You could complain to Rogers and to the CRTC but I don't think that you will accomplish much beyond venting your frustration.  You could also cancel your service and Rogers will likely waive cancellation fees if you are under contract.

We'll have to wait and see what Rogers decides to do going forward.  With any change, they risk upsetting and alienating their customers.  Rogers may also decide to change how their packages are structured, especially now that their customers' viewing habits are changing, and also because some of their new competitors have come up with innovative ways to sell and bundle channels that deliver more value for less money.