cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm starting this thread to give us a place where changes to the Ignite TV channel lineups can be announced and discussed.

Rogers already has pages that show Free Previews and New Channels but I have not been able to find any pages that list planned/upcoming changes to the default channel lineups for Ignite TV Packages, Theme Packs or the Flex Channels that we can choose from.

For example, my latest bill contains a note informing me that Fox Sports Racing will no longer be part of my package effective June 14, 2020 but will still be available to subscribers as part of the Adventure Theme Pack.  However, it still shows as an included Flex Channel in Premier and an optional Flex Channel in Popular.

@CommunityHelps  Are you aware of any other upcoming changes that you can share here so that we can also plan accordingly?  Thanks!

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

217 REPLIES 217

Re: Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Yep.  In addition to that, all tv packages have far fewer total number of channels now too.  Also, the pool of flex channels used to be the same across all tv packages, but that's no longer the case.  The flex channel pools are now smaller with the lower tv packages.  For example, Flex 20 has far fewer flex channels to choose from compared to Premier.  I renewed a Flex 20 bundle for my parents the other day, and they had to agree to the new in-market bundles in order to take advantage of a promo.  They were disappointed to learn that they no longer have CTV Drama...not even available as a flex channel in the Flex 20 package anymore.

Premier always offered a MUCH wider selection of Flex Channels than the lower tiers did.

I haven't checked to see whether "Flex 20 Including Sports" has different Flex Channels to choose from than "Flex 20 + Sports" or whether it just has fewer flex channels.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

According to https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/channel-updates ,  BET has also been removed from the Flex Channel lineup.  (The channel's removal is also being discussed here.)

george_911
I've been here awhile

Question for recent new Ignite subscribers that live within 416. I see that new subscribers must now pay for the local US Buffalo channels as part of the “Prime Time Theme Pack”. Do you receive these channels without paying extra for them?

According to a FAQ on the Rogers web site, it seems that new customers would be charged for distant channels that cannot be received over the air. However Buffalo channels can easily be received over the air in all parts of the 416 area so I'm not sure that they would be considered distant? 

“As of July 7, 2021, US and Canadian distant TV channels like ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC are part of the Prime Time Theme Pack on Ignite TVTM. TV channels are considered distant when, in general, their broadcast signals can’t be received over-the-air in a particular area.

This change only affects new Ignite TV customers including customers who upgrade from Digital TV to Ignite TV on or after July 7, 2021”

https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/ignite-tv-distant-channels

I understand that existing Ignite subscribers within 416 would be grandfathered for these channels, but am curious if new 416 Ignite subscribers are getting them at no extra charge as well.

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

Welcome to . Ignite service. Yes we have to pay MORE for what are free thru the air. US networks were free before I was sold a useless service Ignite. Now I pay much more for outages and lesser service.   Not aware of any grandfathering. Besides, Rogers would amend terms anyway. No point in arguing with them. Pay. Or leave 'em. Try Virgin TV. Or Bell. 

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I also have a question about the US national channels changes. last month I subscribe to the US Timeshifting to be able to watch Sherri, I notice that when I subscribe it show me both the east and west channels, does that mean if I would remove the US Timeshifing in the future (not planning it, but we never know what could happen) I might loose the east feed also? I upgrade to Ignite 2 years ago when the East feed was part of base package. Right now I just want to clear my confusion.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache wrote:

I also have a question about the US national channels changes. last month I subscribe to the US Timeshifting to be able to watch Sherri, I notice that when I subscribe it show me both the east and west channels, does that mean if I would remove the US Timeshifing in the future (not planning it, but we never know what could happen) I might loose the east feed also? I upgrade to Ignite 2 years ago when the East feed was part of base package. Right now I just want to clear my confusion.

When Rogers removed the US networks from the base package, it only affected new customers and customers who switch to a new in-market bundle.  Existing customers did not lose their US channels.  (See here and here for the notice that I saw on MyRogers.)  Unsubscribing from the "US Timeshifting" theme pack should only remove the timeshifted channels.

However, you definitely would lose those channels if you ever switched to a different Ignite bundle.  Even changing your Internet speed is considered a bundle change.

@CommunityHelps : Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@george_911 wrote:

Question for recent new Ignite subscribers that live within 416. I see that new subscribers must now pay for the local US Buffalo channels as part of the “Prime Time Theme Pack”. Do you receive these channels without paying extra for them?

According to a FAQ on the Rogers web site, it seems that new customers would be charged for distant channels that cannot be received over the air. However Buffalo channels can easily be received over the air in all parts of the 416 area so I'm not sure that they would be considered distant? 

This is news to me.  I am in 905 not 416, but I can still pick up all of the US stations over-the-air.  I made a bundle change from Premier to Flex 20 + Sports and I had to subscribe to Prime Time theme pack to get the US stations; my parents as well when they switched from Digital to Ignite.

“As of July 7, 2021, US and Canadian distant TV channels like ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC are part of the Prime Time Theme Pack on Ignite TVTM. TV channels are considered distant when, in general, their broadcast signals can’t be received over-the-air in a particular area.

This change only affects new Ignite TV customers including customers who upgrade from Digital TV to Ignite TV on or after July 7, 2021”

https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/ignite-tv-distant-channels

I understand that existing Ignite subscribers within 416 would be grandfathered for these channels, but am curious if new 416 Ignite subscribers are getting them at no extra charge as well.

This concept of "distant TV channels" is new wording that got added afterwards.  I will try to find when that FAQ page got added.

After reading and re-reading the FAQ, I don't think that there are any exemptions.  My understanding is that if anybody subscribes to an Ignite TV package on or after July 7, 2021, to get the US stations, you must subscribe to the Prime Time theme pack.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

@-G- wrote:

@ReneHache wrote:

When Rogers removed the US networks from the base package, it only affected new customers and customers who switch to a new in-market bundle.  Existing customers did not lose their US channels.  (See here and here for the notice that I saw on MyRogers.)  Unsubscribing from the "US Timeshifting" theme pack should only remove the timeshifted channels.

However, you definitely would lose those channels if you ever switched to a different Ignite bundle.  Even changing your Internet speed is considered a bundle change.

@CommunityHelps: Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you. Also since we are paying extra for the timeshifting, I wish we had more than 1 per network, ex: for Fox, wish we could get Fox 9 and Fox 5. specially that there are shows that only air on those station and they don't air on any Canadian channel. so they are not truly timeshifting other than that they are from different timezone. I think it's unfair that we are missing out of shows (Ex: The Jason Show only air on Fox 9). I think the CRTC (and maybe the FCC too)  is way to strict about channel availability.

fireborne
I plan to stick around

(Post merged)

I noticed recently that the Ignite TV packages, while retaining their original names, have increased the numbers of Flex Channels contained. Flex 5 now shows 7 channels. Is this only for new customers? When I log into my account and go to the area where Flex Channels can be exchanged, it still shows only 5/5. Someone I know who renewed their agreement with Rogers after this change was put into effect also still has only 5 Flex Channels.flex 5 channels.JPG

**Added Labels**

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fireborne wrote:

I noticed recently that the Ignite TV packages, while retaining their original names, have increased the numbers of Flex Channels contained. Flex 5 now shows 7 channels. Is this only for new customers? When I log into my account and go to the area where Flex Channels can be exchanged, it still shows only 5/5. Someone I know who renewed their agreement with Rogers after this change was put into effect also still has only 5 Flex Channels.

On https://www.rogers.com/bundles/offers , if you click "View more details", then click on "7 Flex Channels" to see the pre-selected Flex Channels, you will see that they have added CityNews 24/7 East and West.  However, those channels are still in free preview and have not yet been added to the official Flex Channel list.  As a result, they are in a state where they both are AND are not Flex Channels, and this may be confusing the Rogers web site.  It's almost like Rogers does not know how to deal with the CityNews channels yet; whether they should be Included channels or Flex channels, and if they do become Flex channels, whether the East and West feeds should be two channels (that can be swapped out individually) or a single CityNews 24/7 channel with time-shifting, similar to channels such as Comedy and W.

For now, on https://www.rogers.com/internet/ignite-bundle-packages , Flex 5 officially still includes only 5 Flex Channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Noticed the following on my February 28th bill: I have the Premier package.

"Occasionally, we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting April 23, 2023, the Real Estate and Broadcast News channels will no longer be available and will be removed from your TV package as of this date. No further action is required by you."

aboyaci
I plan to stick around
Is that one channel or two? I thought it was called the Real Estate channel. Don't know what the Broadcasting News part is.

Kim89
I've been around

@-G- wrote:

I'm starting this thread to give us a place where changes to the Ignite TV channel lineups can be announced and discussed.

Rogers already has pages that show Free Previews and New Channels but I have not been able to find any pages that list planned/upcoming changes to the default channel lineups for Ignite TV Packages, Theme Packs or the Flex Channels that we can choose from.

For example, my latest bill contains a note informing me that Fox Sports Racing will no longer be part of my package effective June 14, 2020 but will still be available to subscribers as part of the Adventure Theme Pack.  However, it still shows as an included Flex Channel in Premier and an optional Flex Channel in Popular.

@CommunityHelps  Are you aware of any other upcoming changes that you can share here so that we can also plan accordingly?  Thanks!

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

I added the Prime Theme Pack but they are not showing in my list.  Does it take time, or is it only available in certain areas?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kim89 : These channels should be available almost immediately. Login to MyRogers and see if the package is listed there properly after you've added it.  I suppose it may take a day or two to be available on your TV(s), but I know that changes on my Flex channels take effect immediately.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

More changes to Ignite TV packages:

Ignite_TV-Nov2023.png

This is a pretty substantial change... and it looks like Flex Channels are now a thing of the past.

However, I'm not sure about how they are counting channels.  In MyRogers, I got a "Special Offer" for Total TV, but only with 130 Channels, not 158:

Ignite_Total_TV.png

But that's not all.  When I looked at details about my current package, it says that "Ignite Premier" went from 98 total channels / 63 Flex Channels down to 82 total channels / 50 Flex Channels:

New_Ignite_Premier.png

However, I don't know what to make of the above because I don't see any way to subscribe to "Ignite Premier" anymore, and I sure hope that my current package didn't suddenly get downgraded.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

Mine when from 86 to 70 for Flex and from 124 (was 126 a few months ago) to 104 total channels. 😞
I better not start loosing channels on my TV, I temporary lost CityNews24/7 yesterday, but it was back this morning.
I'm on a fixed budget, I can't pay much more than what I already pay...
It look like there's alot less choice on the Flex page, but I still have access to those that was removed from the page. And the Channels and Themes page don't show anything...
I was planning to add a theme pack this saturday (billing cycle restart), but if the website don't work properly, I won't be able to...

123mnp
I've been around

"And the Channels and Themes page don't show anything...
I was planning to add a theme pack this saturday (billing cycle restart), but if the website don't work properly, I won't be able"

Yeah, that just 'spins' and won't load the section where you actually view/add theme packs. It shows me what I already have but the website won't load properly to actually view/add different ones. The website is terrible. 

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Interesting.  The new bundles indicate that the upload speed for Ignite 500 is now 50Mbps (up from 30).  Also, there's something wrong with their channel comparison table.  All three TV tiers (Starter, Popular, and Total) show exactly the same channels lol.  Tagging @CommunityHelps for awareness so that someone can fix it.

aboyaci
I plan to stick around
This whole change appears to be a last minute spur of the moment rush change. I don't think all the employees are even aware.

I notice that BNN Bloomberg is not part of the new packages? What is up with that??

Lorne4
I'm here a lot

Weird. I have Ignite Flex 10 but it now indicates only 9 Flex channels on MyRogers even though I can still tune the 10th channel on the TV. Also, I can't see CTV Ottawa anywhere in my channels listing or elsewhere but still tunes too.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Interesting.  The new bundles indicate that the upload speed for Ignite 500 is now 50Mbps (up from 30).  Also, there's something wrong with their channel comparison table.  All three TV tiers (Starter, Popular, and Total) show exactly the same channels lol.  Tagging @CommunityHelps for awareness so that someone can fix it.

When I dug into this more last night, I did see differences in channels between the different packages.

I primarily looked at "Total TV" because that is the package that Rogers proposed that I upgrade to.  However, I still have no idea what channels I might get if I were to make make the change.  When I click on "158 channels", I don't see 158 channels listed on the pop-up screen.  When I click on "130 total channels" in my upgrade offer, I see fewer channels, and channels that are not listed in the 158-channel list.  Also, the Channels listing on the Ignite TV bundles "sales" page is totally off.

My other frustration is that my TV dashboard page on. MyRogers is totally b0rked.  It still lists 50 Flex Channels / 82 total channels, not the 63 Flex Channels that I should have.  Also, as I have already said, the "A personalized offer is waiting for you!", displays information that is totally nonsensical.

Topic Stats