cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android remote app that can open the Ignite channel guide ???

barbdavidson
I plan to stick around

I've tried 40 android remote apps with my Android Phone which has an IR. None can open the ignite channel guide on my non-smart Samsung (ln40d550k1fxza ) TV. I can't even open the TV's channel menu because it can't connect to the wifi router without buying a stick. I tried using the ethernet from TV to Xi6-A box but that did nothing. All other app buttons work (volume, tools, etc.) but I CANNOT GET THE IGNITE CHANNEL GUIDE TO OPEN on any app !!! The Ignite app is also totally USELESS since it does have any remote controls. I control all my devises in bed via my phone (I do watch TV on the phone).

Does anyone have a solution ? For now I'll assume Rogers apps just suck (note the Xfinity USA app had a remote. However, it does not work in Canada.

*** Edited Labels ***

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Android remote app that can open the Ignite channel guide ???

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

So what's wrong with using your Ignite TV's real remote?

barbdavidson
I plan to stick around

Please don't reply with another question. If you can't answer please move on.

While i get the convenience of using an app since you might have the phone in your hand anyways, I think the other user was just wondering why you were not using the remote (since one would be provided with every box)?

While I have never tried myself...
With any of these apps.. do you have to select WHAT you want to emulate for it to send the right codes?

I know people have used the HARMONY remotes properly with these boxes with IR.
They have had to select the xfinity X1 I think it was from the 'device' selection, and it had all the buttons with it.

barbdavidson
I plan to stick around

I use my phone to control everything. Yet, Rogers hasn't figured out yet that Google Home and Android apps are used to get rid of your pile of remotes.

1. I can totally control my Edifier Wireless speaker via my phone.

2. I can totally control my Android Box (attached to TV's HDMI) and all installed apps via my phone.

3. I can turn on/off lights, TV and other gadgets via Google Home and my phone.

I CANNOT GET IGNITE TO OPEN THE IGNITE TV GUIDE MENU VIA MY PHONE. PERIOD.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Give us a short list of the apps you have tried, and I will try them as well. Not that I really want to use IR for controlling the rogers box, but hey I shall play with it.

barbdavidson
I plan to stick around

@Biollw ALL OF THEM.

What app are you using ,sounds good

barbdavidson
I plan to stick around

Do you know that if have Rogers wifi extender PADS then you cannot get 2.4 WIFI smart devises to work. That's right, Roger's bone heads give you useless outdated hardware. Once extension pads are added the network goes to WIFI 5.0 and any Smart devise (most in the world are 2.4) will not work and you cannot change the setting or have a single 2.4 and a 5.0 connection at the same time. 

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
You are probably confusing this with band width steering where both 2.4 and 5g wifi ssids arr named the same.

Some 2.4 devices have problems connecting to the wifi unless you give unique names to the two different frequencies.

Research that and it may solve what problem you think you have.

Good luck

barbdavidson
I plan to stick around

Biollw: I'm not confusing anything. Same name ssids are default when using ROGERS PODS and cannot be changed. I phoned tech support and they confirmed this. As for the original question of "Not being able to open the Rogers Ignite TV Guide via a phone APP". The PODS and/or modem must be using a RF signal that is not a standard WIFI 2.4/5.0 - It's not IR because I have tried on a IR learning repeater (no go). So what RF is rogers using?

Alan21
I've been here awhile

I'd really like an app too, or a second remote control, also I'd like them to have installed the router somewhere else besides the laundry room, since it has google voice and it can't hear any commands from there.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
Are you referring to the Rogers Ignite modem? Because, as far as I know, it does not feature the Google Assistant.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Just get a second remote and pair it.

I have 2 remotes, one for me and one for my wife, both work perfectly well with the same box., saves passing it back and forth.

@Lurker_Returns wrote:
Are you referring to the Rogers Ignite modem? Because, as far as I know, it does not feature the Google Assistant.

Or they have a Nest WiFi Mesh Router and had to install it next to the Ignite gateway, and would really like to have it installed in their main living space.  I think the desire for a second remote control is a separate issue.

Alan21
I've been here awhile

I made a mistake, I thought the ignite modem looked like one of those table top voice control devices, and when I said Ok google, my phone was in my pocket and it responded. LOL

RobinF
I've been around
It’s an accessibility issue. I’m on this thread because my Dad’s arthritic hands can’t manipulate the remote but can operate his phone. I agree. Don’t judge. Answer if you know the answer. Otherwise don’t clog the blog.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I assume what you want to do is control the IgniteTV set top box using a phone.  Logitech (Harmony) used to make activity based remotes. Some of those remotes interfaced with a "hub" that would be able to control anything that listened to IR signals. Many people have their Harmony remotes working with IgniteTV set top boxes, although the placement of the hub can be finicky.  Harmony was wonderful, because one button press would perform many tasks like turning on devices, setting them to appropriate inputs, etc. It also had a "help" function if things didn't work.  Logitech still supports the programming required.

Some of those hubs interfaced with phones with the appropriate app installed, I believe via Bluetooth.  Logitech stopped making these a few years ago, and used ones are available.  However, the price can be quite high since there are no real alternatives.

Here's a link to the various remotes/hubs.

https://top10best.how/logitech-harmony-hub?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=search&t_source=64&utm_campaig...

Based on discussions earlier in this thread, I'm not sure if you can get a phone/app to emulate the signals sent by the IgniteTV remote (which works via RF) using IR from a phone directly, rather than through something like the Harmony Hub..

nnone
I've been around
I have managed to use an IR blaster that is using the smartlife app that I used choosing one of the Comcast settings and some manual button copying to the IR blaster to allow me to do most controller operations via the Smart Life app. It was a bit frustrating to figure out that Comcast is the IR code equivalent. You also need to put the ignite controller in it mode which disabled the voice option which is not great but it works.
Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation