cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking calls

rbreedon
I've been around

Good afternoon all

Is there such a feature on rogers home phone that will enable me to block someone from calling my home phone

***edited labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: blocking calls

Elochai
I plan to stick around
@57 no my phone doesn’t have any feature for blocking a call. If it did I would of done so.

Harassment tho is a police matter. But that wouldn’t be a step in this matter if Rogers would get with the times and allow call blocking free of charge like many other companies.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai wrote: Harassment tho is a police matter. 

But the "harassment" is obviously not intentional in this case. The "problem" will likely resolve itself in time.

Elochai
I plan to stick around

@57 You don’t call someone everyday that many times in a short period after being told they got the wrong number by mistake. At that point it long past a mistake.

What even more ridiculous is the solutions you propose to Rogers customers when Rogers fails to provide respectful service that is common place these days such as blocking calls as part of the regular service.

1. A customer shouldn’t have to pay extra to Rogers to block a number or buy a phone that supports this feature. This feature should be a common service these days.

2. Telling me to turn my phone off (really your telling me not to use my phone service I pay you guys for) to accommodate this form of harassment is just plain silly on so many levels. I do have family members who may have to get ahold of me for some reason.

3. It will work itself out ... what a joke. I hope if I ever need a tech support person for something I don’t get you. I can only imagine that call.

Me: Yes my internet is down
You: it’ll resolve itself in time, have a good day.

You want to be helpful, bring up the concern to your management, offer to add the service to the account for free out of respect for a long term customer.

These are the steps customer service should be doing. Taking actions keep customers happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai wrote:

0. What even more ridiculous is the solutions you propose to Rogers customers when Rogers fails to provide respectful service that is common place these days such as blocking calls as part of the regular service.

1. A customer shouldn’t have to pay extra to Rogers to block a number or buy a phone that supports this feature. This feature should be a common service these days.

2. Telling me to turn my phone off (really your telling me not to use my phone service I pay you guys for) to accommodate this form of harassment is just plain silly on so many levels. I do have family members who may have to get ahold of me for some reason.

3. It will work itself out ... what a joke. I hope if I ever need a tech support person for something I don’t get you. I can only imagine that call.

Me: Yes my internet is down
You: it’ll resolve itself in time, have a good day.

4. You want to be helpful, bring up the concern to your management, offer to add the service to the account for free out of respect for a long term customer.

These are the steps customer service should be doing. Taking actions keep customers happy

0. The solutions I provided have been helpful to others. I'm sorry they were not helpful for you and your particular situation.  These were meant as "workarounds" until/if you get free call blocking...

1. I didn't realize that this option is free with other service providers.  Is it?  Do you have examples of major service providers that have this service for free?

2. If your provider doesn't offer this service for free, I was making a suggestion, that included a call blocker that also had a white list option for calls from your family when the blocker is in "night mode".   

3. I was indicating that it was likely that the situation might resolve itself earlier than you getting free call blocking.  If you would like to pursue free call blocking, you may contact the community helps people on this forum via PM. Here's a link on how to do that.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Or click on @CommunityHelps and send them a PM (assuming you're logged into the forum)

4. As indicated in my posts, I am not a Rogers employee. If you wish to pursue free call blocking, please see point 3 above.  Another option is to use the "Share a Concern" link below:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Elochai
I plan to stick around

An example, I have a cell phone with Telus (can’t use Rogers here for cell service, every other cell provider will work just fine. Rogers cell phones only work in one City here 4 hours away, doesn’t work anywhere else in the entire province); anyway I can block numbers with Telus and it not costing me anything.

If I get a call today from that guy, I’ll be phoning Rogers. If they won’t block the number for free, then my next question will be “how much will my bill be if I remove the phone from my bundle?” If the savings is good then I’ll contact an VOIP service I know about that sell landline boxes that connect to your internet, transfer over my Rogers number to them and use their web control panel to block the number which is also included with their service.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai wrote:

An example, I have a cell phone...

Cell phone service is different.  The blocking is probably done by the phone itself like it could be for Rogers Home Phone (or Rogers Cell service) if you had a phone that does call blocking.  Also, certain services like call display, necessary for call blocking, are being paid by you as part of your (expensive) cell phone package.

VOIP phones are different again and typically require a fair bit of customer involvement to get/maintain service.  I hope that your nuisance calls stop, or that you find a resolution to block them.

Elochai
I plan to stick around
@57 VOIP isn’t that different when it comes to features such as blocking a number. Gone are the days of switch boards and old telephone wire. Even your basic landline is hitting the digital age once it gets to the exchange / crossing. The exchange / crossing for telephones have more in common then you think with network cables and servers. That’s why when you call using VOIP it can make it to a landline. The feature to block a call is pretty universal.

The issue is pure greed on Rogers part, it a basic service that customers should have at no extra charge.

I was told that I already have Home and Away Block Callers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@4Given216 wrote:
I was told that I already have Home and Away Block Callers

You may indeed have this as part of your Rogers Home Phone package, but I found the Online Manager blocking  functionality very difficult (impossible) to use. As well, IIRC, there are only about 30 slots available for blocking which is not nearly enough.  As discussed earlier in this thread, call blocking is useless these days because telemarketers are always changing their numbers, so the call block number is of (almost) no use as soon as you enter it into your phone/blocking list.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/355067#M1846

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/383007#M2018

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/404629#M2160

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/409718#M2184

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/Block-entire-area-code-with-online-manager-please/m...

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

Been trying to block a number on my home phone, but when I go the online manager and click on privacy settings, nothing loads in.  Seems to be stuck in a loop.  Tried on multiple devices and same thing.  Is there another way to block numbers? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 : Please look at the links in post 93, the one above yours.  You will find the following:

1. The Online Manager doesn't seem to function very well for anyone.

2. Blocking calls can be accomplished using the call blocker within many cordless phones, or a separate call blocking device.

3. Unfortunately, most telemarketers don't use the same number twice, they dial at random and generate new  (spoofed) numbers with each series of calls, so that you can enter the number into a call blocker, but most times it's totally ineffective because that number isn't used again.

4. I find the only useful thing is to use a "distinctive ring" for calls that I want to answer (ones that are in my phone's directory or "white list").  I ignore all other calls.

5. If I notice that a telemarketer has called several times using the same number, then I do enter that number into my phone's call block and it only rings once.

I have noticed a huge increase in nuisance calls in the past week or so, but sometimes it comes in spurts and then goes away - perhaps because they are "caught" and stopped somehow, or moved on.

rayray519
I plan to stick around

I have the Rogers home phone service.  I am constantly getting suspicious phone calls from various telemarketers, and scams, etc.  I already registered my number with the Canadian Do Not Call List but yet they still seep through from all sorts of numbers.    

How can I enable something on Rogers side to help prevent these annoying callers?

Thanks,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rayray519 : It looks as though your post may have been moved to this existing thread.  Please read post 95, the one above yours.  You will see that Telemarketers are always rotating phone numbers and spoofing them, so call blocking is usually useless.

Service providers will however have to introduce technology called STIR/SHAKEN this year to combat spoofed calls, etc.  See the following thread on that topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

The deadline for the service providers is currently set at June 30, 2021. Let's hope it gets implemented by then.  In the meantime, perhaps my other suggestions in post 95 will help.

Topic Stats