blocking calls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: blocking calls

Blocking unwanted callers

I am looking at the online manager and I can see how to set up numbers for callers I want to block, but it seems the only way to  turn it on is to allow a message to be given to those calling that I am unavailable.  I would rather the call just be disconnected or hung up.  Is there no way to do this?  Do I have to choose the yes option on them receiving a message that I am unavailable?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rye_encoke :  Call blocking is pretty useless these days because most telemarketers now spoof numbers and they rotate the numbers so that the same number will not come up the next time. See posts 57, 60, 62, 65 onwards in this thread for my recommendations for handling telemarketers, depending on your preferences.

@rye_encoke wrote:

I would rather the call just be disconnected or hung up.  Is there no way to do this?  

See the following link. You can set up a "white list", however, unfortunately, that (online manager) white list can only handle 30 numbers, which is not enough for most people who may have 50-100 people in their contact list and it appears you still get the "announcement".

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/355067#M1846

I Plan to Stick Around

I been getting calls repeatedly. Not from a telemarketer or scammer but from an old man who probably shouldn’t have access to a phone without supervision. He called 7 times within 10 mins yesterday. Today he called 5 times within 7 mins. He can’t figure out after being told repeatedly that he got the wrong number. He after waking us up repeatedly (I work long hours doing night shifts where I do up to 60 hours in only 5 days).

But as usual I see Rogers is behind the times and asking for a fee to give you access to block a number. Something that most companies give for free or built into the service.

Guess the real solution is filling out a police report and having them deal with a man who may or may not have dementia. Pretty sad when that’s the solution your left with because Rogers want to milk every penny from you but at least it’s FREE !
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai : Do you have call display? Do you have a cordless phone with a call blocking feature? if the old man's number appears in the call display it would be very easy to add it to the call blocking feature of most cordless phones.  See post 57 onwards in this thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/383007#M2018

Also, it's possible with some cordless phones to put them in "night mode" for certain times when you'd like to sleep.   They will then not ring at those times.  Some call blockers and "night mode" functionality even have a "white list" so that you can receive calls in the event of an emergency even if you're in "night mode."  Another option is to turn off the ringer when sleeping and then turn it on again when you wake.  

In my view, bothering the police for this is not on.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 no my phone doesn’t have any feature for blocking a call. If it did I would of done so.

Harassment tho is a police matter. But that wouldn’t be a step in this matter if Rogers would get with the times and allow call blocking free of charge like many other companies.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai wrote: Harassment tho is a police matter. 

But the "harassment" is obviously not intentional in this case. The "problem" will likely resolve itself in time.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 You don’t call someone everyday that many times in a short period after being told they got the wrong number by mistake. At that point it long past a mistake.

What even more ridiculous is the solutions you propose to Rogers customers when Rogers fails to provide respectful service that is common place these days such as blocking calls as part of the regular service.

1. A customer shouldn’t have to pay extra to Rogers to block a number or buy a phone that supports this feature. This feature should be a common service these days.

2. Telling me to turn my phone off (really your telling me not to use my phone service I pay you guys for) to accommodate this form of harassment is just plain silly on so many levels. I do have family members who may have to get ahold of me for some reason.

3. It will work itself out ... what a joke. I hope if I ever need a tech support person for something I don’t get you. I can only imagine that call.

Me: Yes my internet is down
You: it’ll resolve itself in time, have a good day.

You want to be helpful, bring up the concern to your management, offer to add the service to the account for free out of respect for a long term customer.

These are the steps customer service should be doing. Taking actions keep customers happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai wrote:

0. What even more ridiculous is the solutions you propose to Rogers customers when Rogers fails to provide respectful service that is common place these days such as blocking calls as part of the regular service.

1. A customer shouldn’t have to pay extra to Rogers to block a number or buy a phone that supports this feature. This feature should be a common service these days.

2. Telling me to turn my phone off (really your telling me not to use my phone service I pay you guys for) to accommodate this form of harassment is just plain silly on so many levels. I do have family members who may have to get ahold of me for some reason.

3. It will work itself out ... what a joke. I hope if I ever need a tech support person for something I don’t get you. I can only imagine that call.

Me: Yes my internet is down
You: it’ll resolve itself in time, have a good day.

4. You want to be helpful, bring up the concern to your management, offer to add the service to the account for free out of respect for a long term customer.

These are the steps customer service should be doing. Taking actions keep customers happy

0. The solutions I provided have been helpful to others. I'm sorry they were not helpful for you and your particular situation.  These were meant as "workarounds" until/if you get free call blocking...

1. I didn't realize that this option is free with other service providers.  Is it?  Do you have examples of major service providers that have this service for free?

2. If your provider doesn't offer this service for free, I was making a suggestion, that included a call blocker that also had a white list option for calls from your family when the blocker is in "night mode".   

3. I was indicating that it was likely that the situation might resolve itself earlier than you getting free call blocking.  If you would like to pursue free call blocking, you may contact the community helps people on this forum via PM. Here's a link on how to do that.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Or click on @CommunityHelps and send them a PM (assuming you're logged into the forum)

4. As indicated in my posts, I am not a Rogers employee. If you wish to pursue free call blocking, please see point 3 above.  Another option is to use the "Share a Concern" link below:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

I Plan to Stick Around

An example, I have a cell phone with Telus (can’t use Rogers here for cell service, every other cell provider will work just fine. Rogers cell phones only work in one City here 4 hours away, doesn’t work anywhere else in the entire province); anyway I can block numbers with Telus and it not costing me anything.

If I get a call today from that guy, I’ll be phoning Rogers. If they won’t block the number for free, then my next question will be “how much will my bill be if I remove the phone from my bundle?” If the savings is good then I’ll contact an VOIP service I know about that sell landline boxes that connect to your internet, transfer over my Rogers number to them and use their web control panel to block the number which is also included with their service.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Elochai wrote:

An example, I have a cell phone...

Cell phone service is different.  The blocking is probably done by the phone itself like it could be for Rogers Home Phone (or Rogers Cell service) if you had a phone that does call blocking.  Also, certain services like call display, necessary for call blocking, are being paid by you as part of your (expensive) cell phone package.

VOIP phones are different again and typically require a fair bit of customer involvement to get/maintain service.  I hope that your nuisance calls stop, or that you find a resolution to block them.