cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Ottawa Outage During Storm (2018)?

akselsoft
I plan to stick around

Hey all,

Did anyone else have outage for cellular service in the Ottawa area during last night's storm?

Or was the cell system simply that jammed?

**Added Labels**

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Wireless Ottawa Outage During Storm (2018)?

VirgoSailor
I've been here awhile
No problem with mobile service but cable went out around 8 and is still down. Out walking dog downtown noticed power still out west of Bronson this morning. No sign of any Rogers repair crews.

akselsoft
I plan to stick around

Hmph....we lost mobile service around 8-9 pm on both of our phones. Previously, it was working but slow. I was thinking about heading out on the roads to see if it was isolated to our area (Bridlewood, Kanata) which is notorious for bad coverage but thought better of it.

RogersYasmine

Hi there @akselsoft,

We appreciate your participation in the Community Forums!

We had quite a downpour followed by gusts of wind here in the GTA too! I had to stop myself from getting blown away!! 😆 The turbulent weather definitely caused some issues throughout parts of Ontario!

Are you still experiencing problems getting a wireless connection on your cellphone? You can use our self-serve option to report a wireless outage, locate on-going wireless outages, and request to be alerted once a known outage has been resolved! Please click HERE to access this tool.

We hope this information is useful! If you have further questions or concerns, please let the Community know! 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

akselsoft
I plan to stick around

The problem was resolved overnight - I just wanted to confirm if there was a problem. The RogersHelps twitter feed did confirm there were some problems with the towers in our area so that explains it. 

Thanks

CM53
I've been here awhile
I have no phone service in blossom park. Text and spotty email. Tv is up and running and electrical power.

CM53
I've been here awhile
Hey. Still no phone service out here in blossom park. No landlines from bell either. Al least we have
Tv and wifi and internet connection.

akselsoft
I plan to stick around

We just noticed drop-offs as well. People are calling us and within 30 seconds, the call drops. I even tried calling our other phone and within 15 seconds of connecting, it immediately dropped off. So maybe they aren't completely resolved.

Texts and so forth seem ok.

Mara2
I've been around

Cable box is still out from large power outage in Ottawa

Where are you posting your updates regarding restoring TV and Internet service? We finally have our power back Ottawa - Katimavik area, Kanata South area, but no cable or internet service. Where are you posting updates on restoring service?

BobF4321
I plan to stick around

Power was out here at Prince of Wales and Dynes for about 24 hours.  For a while after the power went out I could still get LTE data on my iPhone, but then it changed to Edge or 3G, with no Internet access.  Occasionally I could get one bar of LTE. My guess is that my nearest cell tower only had a limited amount of battery backup.  Does Rogers have a guaranteed minimum time for cell access during a widespread power outage?

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello everyone and welcome @CM53 @Mara2 to our Community Forums.

After viewing photos of the recent devastation in Ottawa caused by a tornado, I'm certainly glad to hear folks here have had their power restored and are safe :).

We are aware LTE services are down at some sites in Ottawa, ON. Support teams are actively working to restore all sites however, a specific restoral time is not available. You can keep up to date with outages in this thread

Alternatively, you can also reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps, so we may escalate a ticket on your account. Once service is a restored an automated notification will be sent out. If you're not sure how our private messenger works, check out this blog.

Kind regards,

RogersCilio

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation