cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

jskrzypczak
I've been around

I see that google has finally launched RCS messaging with Sprint in the United States. Is Rogers committed to supporting RCS? Is there a timeline for its rollout?

***Edited Labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

That is very interesting to hear. I have the samsung default messaging app with rcs and i know 4 other friends who also have newer samsungs with rcs capabilities and we all see the benefits of RCS between each other. I have ONE friend who is on Rogers wireless and works for them too and uses Android Messenger and i could send him rcs messages when i was a customer on Rogers / Fido but now i can not send him RCS messages because there still must be a compatibility issue between the other carriers like Bell and Telus aka Bellus between Rogers and Fido aka Fidogers.

So until I see the ability to send an RCS to my friend Roger who is using Rogers and works for Rogers then I will believe it. Right now there is still no RCS between Samsung Rcs and android messenger on different carriers yet. I will keep u guys informed when it works

Didn't work for me   😞

daniel10
I plan to stick around
It's been a while, and still only bell supports Samsung messenger for the RCS service. I'm hoping Rogers will get on board soon!!

Orinarhomill
I plan to stick around

How do you set up RCS on Pixel 3 XL

Is it possible to set up RCS with a Pixel 3 XL device? If so and how? I've tried the Activity launcher method, which doesn't work for some reason. Or is this feature only available on the Pixel 4.

Rhomill Orina

angelop
I plan to stick around

Note 9 October update Samsung RCS service

Well I did the update today and there is no RCS on the native app

or the android message app

Good evening @Orinarhomill,

Thanks for your post!  We're you able to sort this out since you last posted?

We hope it's resolved but to help you out further, we'd need to know where you encountered the problem and if you got any error message. Some Android users suggest you turn off Wi-Fi before initiating the setup steps, while others are reporting turning on Wi-Fi is helping them pass the "Stuck on verifying" issue.

Let us know!

Welcome to the Rogers Community @angelop!

I understand your desire to access Rich Communication Service features.

Have you also tried by registering for the Google Messages beta and downloading Activity Launcher?

The first prep step involves registering for the Google Messages beta version. Unfortunately, this trick won’t work in the current version of Messages, so you’ll need beta access. Just tell Google you want beta access, then download the Messages (Beta) app.

Looking forward to your replies!

RogersMaude

Orinarhomill
I plan to stick around

Downloading the beta fixed it Thanks!

Rhomill Orina

Yes I can confirm, I was with bell with galaxy s10 + using Samsung messaging app and RCs worked when I texted other bell customers. However I recently switched to Rogers and now no RCs with that same bell client

PeeBee
I've been here awhile

RCS messaging on Samsung S20 Ultra

I have an unlocked Samsung S20 Ultra (not purchased through Rogers) and I can't get RCS messaging to work. Any tips on how to get it to work? And is it even an option with Rogers?

Hello @PeeBee,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post!

I hope you're enjoying the new phone, I've heard great things about the Samsung S20 Ultra. Are you getting an error message during set up? We can't always guarantee functionality for non Rogers devices. 

Does anyone in the Community have any insight into this?

RogersZia

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor

I know Rogers does not support VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling on devices NOT PURCHASED directly from Rogers, this may also include RCS, but I am not sure on that.

What you can do is try calling Rogers directly, and have them add your IMEI to their database.

The hardware/software is identical to the ones Rogers sells in their retail stores, the only difference is that the IMEI isn't in their "supported" database, because it wasn't purchased from them.

That should hopefully get VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling working (you may not even have realized that they weren't working).

As for RCS, What errors are you getting while trying to activate it? If it gets stuck on "activating", then you can try force closing the messages app and going back in.

Also, I assume you are aware that it needs to be supported on your device AND THE DEVICE YOU ARE MESSAGING for it to work. If their device or carrier doesn't support RCS, then it will just be sent as a normal SMS.

I believe only Rogers and Freedom support RCS so far, from what I remember. That may have changed however.

PeeBee
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the reply! I'm actually not sure how to "activate" it. Under settings I've chosen Automatic for chat messages vs text messages.
My friend has a Samsung S9 on Telus and she's able to participate on imessages with our "Apple" friends but I can't. Am I even asking the right question?

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor
Just to clarify, RCS messaging and iMessage are not compatible. iMessage works Apple devices to Apple devices only. I suspect they are normal text messages they're sending, not RCS.

As for getting RCS to work, I believe only Android Messages works with Rogers RCS, not Samsung Messages.

You can try installing Android Messages from the play store and setting it up through there. You may get it working.

It will only work if you are messaging another ANDROID device which also has RCS enabled and supported by their carrier. 🙂
Topic Stats