cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Now that we are well into December of 2017, I just wanted to reiterate that locked phones are a thing of the past (well, 4 days in the past).

I'm extremely hopeful Rogers will make it a priority to look after their subscribers who use unlocked Android devices with Wi-Fi and VoLTE capabilities. For someone like me who works in an office that provides 1-2 bars of EDGE on a consistent daily basis, having Wi-Fi calling would be completely liberating.

Who else is in this same boat as me? 

***Added Labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

Thanks for the reply.

The main reason I went straight to the OEM is price. The 2 phone were a lot cheaper direct from Samsung (listed price). Also, they have a promotion going on where you trade in your old phone and get a minimum $150 off the phone plus the value of the trade-in. Rogers has a similar program but you have to sign up to the share everything plan which I wont do. Since I bought my phone from the OEM, where does my firmware updates come from, Rogers or Samsung?

Cheers,

Shawn.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

See this description of how upgrades for software on phones is done by Telus - it represents the same practices by all companies in Canada.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Neighbourhood-Blog/Software-Update-Life-Cycle/ba-p/53596

So, both the manufacturer and the carrier are involved in the process.

But the decision to not provide a feature is claimed to be due to network comatability and fully tested features on their network, but that doesn't hold water for me - a download and registration to activate the features on the phone you buy from Rogers was done by them and the manufacturer on the locked phones.  Blackberry for years put out versions of their current software builds for each company, and you could get it automatically, or go to their site to get it.

Even if they charged a fair cost to activate the home EMEI and the feature set, and download the update to your phone, there is no reason it can't be done.  That is how it used to be done, and they do it every day on their own branded phones before you get them.

So I say it is an active choice by Rogers and the others to restrict our choice to where we choose to buy our phones, who we want to handle warrenty support directly with.

It is not a grey market - it is a product developed and distributed directly from the manufacturer unlocked, which Canadian companies cannot restrict anymore,  I say, take it to the CRTC as a retriction of choice of where to purchase, and to move carriers.

I do know they are looking at it.

It is no different than the lock issue and we know what the CRTC did with that one, then the companies pulled this one, around the first time locking was permitted at a fee - FM on cell phones, they cut off when they pushed spotify - grey market - it is non Rogers market supplied, that is not grey.

Bruce

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I did some more research on this topic and found the following:

The only manufacturer at this time that restricts carriers from disabling any feature set on their phones is Apple.  This is because of their commitment to the security of their phones - they are not about to give proprietary in formation on anything about their software and devices to anyone, even the government in order to protect their control over the integrity of the device.

So it means that carriers have to provide Apple developers with the feature sets that they want activated and any software like MyRogers, Anyplace TV, etc to apple, and they test it fully and provide it directly to the customer via their Apple store channels.  No updates come from the carrier directly, only via Internet to the Apple Store.

Blackberry used to do this too, but when they switched to Android they did not.

So Android farms this function and places their products at the whim of the carrier.  I am not a fan of Apple in general, just me, but I do like them for their position on this one.  Blackberry layers their security software on top of the Android builds and keeps a corporate security choice and sandboxes the Android consumer build away from the device, but we as consumers are at the whim of the carrier on features.

In those cases where a carrier chooses to not provide a feature over their network, that is their choice, but they cannot disable any feature sets on an Apple, but a network feature like WIFI or VOLTE , communications may not be supported, but it is there to be used at any time they choose to turn it on or not, but you can go to a carrier that provides it.

This is totally a decision by carriers and the manufacturers allowing them to do it.  The same pressure and concerns exist in the USA too.

And last comment on "grey market" - again a bit of research - a grey market is distribution of a manufactured product through non approved channels - purchase of a cell phone by Samsung and other companies from any carrier is not grey market - the last incident of grey market distribution of cell phones was Apple 4 when an approved distributor received an advanced shipment and released them early prior to the approved dates of Apple and they sold them at a profit, but under the marketed price that Apple.

The use of the phrase grey market is completely inappropriate to be used by anyone talking about a manufactured phone purchased originally through an approved distributor, so an unlocked phone purchased from another carrier is not a grey market - call it what it is - a corporate decision to not support phones that are not purchased through a Rogers channel - period.

Even if you buy your phone from a friend, that was originally with another carrier is not grey market, it is a used product sale of a legitimate product.

So the statement that Rogers does not support all features on phones not purchased through their channel distributors, configured for their network is the legitimate answer, they choose not to provide the software build or the configuration, even at a cost to their customers on phones not purchased directly from them - although if you buy it from a friend and it was Rogers, it will work, in fact they encourage you to transfer your plan or phone to others if you are leaving - another way of circumventing the full intent of mobility of the CRTC, in my opinion. 

Imagine if a TV manufacturer or home phone manufacturer restricted the feature set available - there would be you know what to pay.

Bruce

Bruce

Finally had enough and decided to file a complaint with CCTS first. Was told out of scope because falls into general operating practices and policies and to file a complaint with CRTC which I did (CRTC CaseID : 798262). This should not be allowed since I am paying for the service on my wireless bill (free native video calling canada wide) listed as an option that my phone does support S9 but restricted (base solely on IMEI not firmware, confirmed with friends Rogers branded S9 - works on his, exact same baseband, software, settings just will not get IMS registration on Rogers end because not a Rogers branded device).

Campanola
I've been here awhile

I'm in the same frustrating boat. I bought my Galaxy S7 directly from Samsung Store unlocked to use on my Rogers plan. Right now, when I need Wifi Calling, I have to switch my SIM card in an old iPhone 5S (unlocked from Telus...). I don't understand why Rogers are doing that. I'm considering changing provider for that reason. 

I share your frustration, Rogers doesn't sell my phone of choice. I am going to file a complaint too. It is obviously just an shady corporate restriction.

popo
I've been here awhile
Possible to spoof imei?
Transfer GS6 imei to GS7?

I had no issues using wifi calling with Bell phone on freedom mobile.
But on Rogers, I get instantly blocked. Have you changed carrier at Samsung's CSC menu?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @popo

Its highly illegal to spoof a IMEI Number. Carriers that see a customer doing this can ban them from the network and take legal action including the manufacturer of the device. Remember the IMEI number is connected to the customer name / Adress and email. So it's not that hard to find someone do it this. So no unfortunately I would not suggest doing this.

popo
I've been here awhile

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @popo

Its highly illegal to spoof a IMEI Number. Carriers that see a customer doing this can ban them from the network and take legal action including the manufacturer of the device. Remember the IMEI number is connected to the customer name / Adress and email. So it's not that hard to find someone do it this. So no unfortunately I would not suggest doing this.

I will take your advice and not attempt this, my previously post was purely a question.

I don't know anything about Canada's wireless communication laws.

However, I cannot see anything ethically wrong with transferring an imei from one device that I own to another device that I also own if my network blocks my imei for no legitimate reason.

My previous question was a just a pragmatic approach to the problem, since it's obvious Rogers isn't doing anything to fix this.

Other commenters mentioned a software limitation, but it seems to me like Samsung uses the same software ROM for all carriers, just different configuration files, that are preloaded on all phones.

I can't imagine Rogers going after small fry like me, wouldn't be worth the legal fees. Or what kind of damages they'd even sue for.

If Rogers is truly blocking phones from wifi calling features based on imei of vendor it was purchased, and not based a device's compatibility,

Then Samsung should be suing Rogers, not me(a former customer of both companies)

Allowing all Apple phones, regardless of vendor, to access all network features, while blocking features from non-rogers Samsung phones, gives Apple an unfair advantage.

Anyway, I'm glad a switched away form Rogers, just here asking for a friend.

GDF01
I've been here awhile
Im in the process of leaving Rogers also,for the same exact reasons you mentioned!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @popo

I do agree with you 100%. Unfortunately Rogers however like many other carriers in Canada are allowed to block certain features. Although its a disgusting and poor choice, most carriers in Canada do this so you can buy the phones they sell instead. This is something many of us for years have complained. At one point iPhone 6 devices which were bought outright from Apple when launched were never allowed to have WiFi calling. It took Rogers and most carrier almost 2 years to allow this on them. I know as I ran the pre order threads on here and seem it..

The manufacturers set specific IMEI numbers to each device. There is no same IMEI number and no where in the world does a manufacturer or carrier allow spoofing of a IMEI number. Rogers does not create IMEI numbers and by law in many countries no carrier is allowed to spoof a IMEI Number or allow that to happen.. Don't know which part of the world you are from however I really doubt a carrier let alone a device manufacturer allows spoofing of a IMEI  

If you have any further questions regarding spoofing of a IMEI, I welcome you to contact Samsung Canada legal team or their head office and they can gladly explain this to you. If you want you can also speak to the Office of the President at Rogers or their fraud department and they can advice you as well if it's illegal on their end or not. However there have been cases which some have been banned from networks for it and also if a IMEI number is blacklisted, whatever phone shares that specified IMEI number will be blacklisted as well.

As per the comment regarding about the services not being enabled and such, I agree with you but you as a customer can also contact the CRTC and file a complain with them.. The CRTC is the one the controls rules and regulations regarding carriers and their practices. They would be the ones you go to and file a complaint.

Victorchan218
I plan to stick around

Yes please Rogers. I bought the unlocked Note 8 from Hong Kong and I need wifi calling too

Victorchan218
I plan to stick around

I spoke to CRTC and they said is not their problem. It is between us and Rogers

gilbertgk
I'm here a lot

I bought the Note 9 from Samsung cause Rogers does not offer the 512 GB variant. however, I am not able to activate wifie calling. Rogers customers service please help me activate wifi calling

Hello @gilbertgk,

We appreciate you being a part of the Rogers Community Forums and hope you've been able to find some useful information since joining! I see this is your first post, congrats! 👍

There is certainly a lot of value in having the Wi-Fi Calling feature as it helps folks stay connected! Unfortunately, if you have a non-Rogers Android device, Wi-Fi Calling will not work. My apologies for any disappointment. 

For more detailed information on Wi-Fi Calling over the Rogers Network and to better understand what the requirements are, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you,

RogersLaura 

This is really bad which means Rogers restricted the customer to purchase the device from you exclusively. This defeated the non-compete terms of CRTC. Before I remember Rogers you guys has the Rogers One Number which we can use any device to use wifi calling now you guys eliminate this and restricted in your handset setting which customer MUST purchase the handset from you which is very bad.

Technically that does not make any sense. Why do I have to have a rogers device when I first started my note 9 rogers software got installed so what's the point to have bloatware installed that I can't remove yet I can't enable wifi calling. If that's the case then you are going to loose loyal customers.

VMS-Guru
I plan to stick around
I do have a Rogers Android phone but Wi-Fi calling doesn't work on it either. It seems you not only need a Rogers Android phone but it has to be one of the few that offer it. My Huawei P20 Pro supports the feature but Rogers had chosen to not enable it.

doomfrawen
I've been here awhile

Hi, I know this is an old thread but now with the new S10 coming out, I would like to get all the VoLTE/IMS features that I can.

I purchased by current S8+ from the Samsung Store in Canada  and until today I still don't have IMS services unless I put my SIM card into my old S6 and switch it back to my S8.

I don't want to make the same "mistake" of buying in other place but the Rogers store. My question is, if I buy it in BestBuy would the IMEI be considered as a Rogers one? (My gf bought her S9 from BestBuy and they registered it as Fido and she has all the IMS services) or should I just go straight to the Rogers store as they don't allow you to buy it outright from the website?

Hello @doomfrawen,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your concern in the Community, I know how important Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE features are. 

BestBuy Mobile is a Rogers Authorized Dealer so if you were to get a Rogers branded device from there you should not have any issues with Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE as those features would have been thoroughly tested on our network beforehand. If you were to buy the device outright from another provider or from Samsung directly we really can't guarantee that Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE will work.

I hope this helps you in your decision!

RogersTony

Rogerstony.....you said 'have been thoroughly tested on our network' common.....if i buy from samsung canada tell me the difference between 'your' phone and the one from samsung for example?? Im gonna told you this difference and the truth in sametime...

The difference....they're is absolutely no difference between your phone and the one from samsung since you buy them from samsung...

The true is that rogers/fido have a rolling eyes system that check if your phone are registered....the one from rogers is registered with his imei and the one from samsung is not registered....have deal with this last years....when asking to register a phone bough from samsung you simply are not authorised to do it....basically you are punishing by blocking those who bough their phone from samsung....guy...i have been with many provider and so far fido/rogers are the only one who block these feature...all other i have been just dont care about it...worst when telling them this fact they even laugh about it...
So for those who want these feature...dont waist your time...just change provider or try another one and you will have all these feature...its only a rogers/fido thing.....dont bother
Topic Stats