cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Icon beside phone number on incoming calls

_G_
I'm here a lot

Just wondering if anyone knows what the smart icon that shows up on incoming calls means? It shows SMART with a little phone receiver picture beside it...

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Smart Icon beside phone number on incoming calls

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it likely means verified caller aka stir/shaken but I would like to ask some more questions to be sure. what phone do u have and what operating system, also can u share a screen shot of it? that would help

_G_
I'm here a lot

I have an S22, android... Not a big deal but I just switched over from Bell and I have not seen that before so just curious!

Untitled..jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I searched the web and found the following. Does that make sense?

The Smart Call function lets you know who's calling even when the number isn't on your contact list. When it's spam, you can easily block the call, and then take action by reporting it.

_G_
I'm here a lot
Not really as not all calls come up with it... I get suspected spam calls with it, my mom's work, and a couple other random numbers too, but I can't see a pattern (that makes sense to me anyway)..
Like I said, no big deal at all, nothing to waste anyone's time on... Was just curious to see if anyone knew off the top of their head..
Have a good day

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So I did some research and this is NOT the Shaken/STIR protocol. its a third party lookup, basically it checks your caller ID with a database owned by HIYA to see if its a potential scammer or trusted call, but if the caller id is spoofed, it wont know, it just accepts what incoming ID and checks it based on that.

Samsung Android phones come with a built-in feature called Samsung Smart Call.  This feature uses a third-party database to do lookups for incoming phones numbers, and displays the database information – instead of the Caller ID being provided by the carrier.

The idea behind this feature is to protect customers from potential spam calls, and, in theory, allow businesses to connect with their customers through features being built by the database provider, Hiya.

The issue is that this Hiya lookup database does not necessarily have accurate and up-to-date information recorded.

_G_
I'm here a lot
Interesting, thanks for looking it up and letting me know it was kind of driving me nuts because I couldn't figure it out but like I said no big deal just curious...
I just switched from Belle and they didn't have it come up as spam call so it's so nice to have that the only feature so far that I see that I liked better with Belle was when I call forwarded my work phone to my cell phone it would come up and let me know it was coming from the forwarded phone number so I knew it was a work call.... Other than that so far everything's been great!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, it is not a Bell or Rogers feature, it is a feature of Samsung, it just happens to come pre-installed in that handset you bought,  you have the ability to turn it on or off if you like.   if you own a phone without the feature you can download the hiya app and it basically does similar thing

_G_
I'm here a lot
Thanks for letting me know

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe you CAN turn off this feature in the settings if it bothers you or you do not like it

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation