cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Android phones are eligible for WiFi calling with Rogers?

DavidHeilig
I plan to stick around

Based on their tech support it's only those sold by Rogers, but what if you want to have a Nokia or Samsung xcover, or Oneplus, or Huawei, etc? Are you limited to what Rogers offers, which is very little?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What Android phones are eligible for WiFi calling with Rogers?

RogersYasmine

Good day @DavidHeilig,

Thanks for being a part of our community forums and we appreciate your post! 🙂

To use WiFi Calling, you will need the following:

• A monthly postpaid voice and LTE data wireless plan. Prepaid customers can’t use WiFi Calling.
  • An LTE SIM installed in your device.
  • A compatible phone with Android 6.0.1 or later installed. Most Android phones from late 2015 and onwards are compatible.
  • The WiFi Calling feature enabled on your device.

If you have these things, make sure your device’s WiFi Calling feature is switched on so you can make calls and send messages over WiFi. If you have a non-Rogers Apple device, WiFi Calling may work, however, we cannot guarantee that it will fully function as expected since it would be considered unsupported. If you have a non-Rogers Android device, WiFi Calling will not work.

For more info on the WiFi Calling feature, please check out our Knowledge Base article found here

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RogersYasmine

Good day @DavidHeilig,

Thanks for being a part of our community forums and we appreciate your post! 🙂

To use WiFi Calling, you will need the following:

• A monthly postpaid voice and LTE data wireless plan. Prepaid customers can’t use WiFi Calling.
  • An LTE SIM installed in your device.
  • A compatible phone with Android 6.0.1 or later installed. Most Android phones from late 2015 and onwards are compatible.
  • The WiFi Calling feature enabled on your device.

If you have these things, make sure your device’s WiFi Calling feature is switched on so you can make calls and send messages over WiFi. If you have a non-Rogers Apple device, WiFi Calling may work, however, we cannot guarantee that it will fully function as expected since it would be considered unsupported. If you have a non-Rogers Android device, WiFi Calling will not work.

For more info on the WiFi Calling feature, please check out our Knowledge Base article found here

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

Sukut
I plan to stick around
I have a non rogers note 20 from US but subscribed with Rogers. Pleased to state that i was able to turn on the rogers wifi calling fearure and it works well. Rogers
Must have have changed their policy recently

Randy

dmushing
I've been here awhile

@RogersYasmine wrote:

If you have a non-Rogers Android device, WiFi Calling will not work.

That's an interesting statement, but my question would be "why?"

I have a OnePlus 10 Pro 5G, and apparently wifi calling is not supported.  This doesn't appear to be anything other than an arbitrary decision by Rogers.  If there's a technical reason why it's not supported, I'm all ears.

VA7BDC
I've been around
I just bought a USA Note 10+ 5g and have been told by one Rogers tech person that it cannot be done. Another Rogers tech guy thinks it can be set set up for wifi calling use even though it's a USA phone. Seems more like a Rogers policy rather than tech issue. I have 2 Rogers phones that I will switch to Telus if a Rogers policy prevents me using this phone for wifi calling. Telus guarantees that wifi calling on this phone will work on their network.

I am looking to set up wifi calling on my Samsung s20 fe 5g.
It is not a rogers bought phone.
It has the ability on phone settings yet rogers will not allow set up.
Why is this an issue in this day and age. Rogers needs to allow for any phone whether bought form them or your own unlocked phone

dmushing
I've been here awhile
They refused to do it for the three OnePlus devices in my family. So we took our accounts to "that other big national Telco", who happily hooked us up with 5G, wifi calling, and VoLTE. Slightly lower price, too.

TwitchyPuppy
I plan to stick around

@VA7BC It’s compatible, you just have to flash the phone’s CSC (its software version) to RWC (Rogers Wireless Communications) so their network will see your phone as a Rogers device. Be careful, though, as doing such will factory reset it so I suggest you back up your stuff first. My wife did that with her S22 Ultra she got directly from Samsung and it’s definitely working like a “Rogers native” phone.

They do allow it! You just have to change your CSC to RWC’s (be careful: it factory resets your phone).

chargris
I plan to stick around

"If you have a non-Rogers Android device, WiFi Calling will not work." I have a nothing phone (1) it's not even sold in north america and i got wifi calling to work after having a customer support rep to provision my account with wifi calling then i received an automated confirmation email

ScubadooX
I plan to stick around

Try this. If you have a phone that is supported by Rogers (not necessarily bought from Rogers) like a Google Pixel 4, set up Wi-Fi Calling on that phone. Then remove the SIM and put it in the the phone you'd like to set up and then enable Wi-Fi Calling. That's how I got my Google Pixel 7 (bought at Best Buy) Wi-Fi Calling enabled.

Regarding Rogers provisioning your Nothing phone for WiFi calling... that is interesting. customer support wouldn't even consider trying to provision my Umidigi phone.

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

Just to point out a small failure in the Rogers provisioning system.  My s23 Ultra U from the US provisioned fine for WiFi Calling on Android 13.  I signed up for Samsung's beta for OneUI 6 and Android 14, which caused the WiFi Calling to need to be reprovisioned.  Currently, Rogers provisioning system does not provision, sighting incompatibility, for devices running Android 14.  This was also tried on a Pixel 6 Pro from Rogers running Android 14 and the result was the same error.  

ScubadooX
I plan to stick around

I got WFC working on my Google Pixel 7 by using a kluge when it was Android 13. Upgraded to Android 14 and WFC still works. Small miracle considering Rogers' WFC challenges and lack of knowledge.

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
It eventually was fixed for me after contacting support and waiting a couple.of weeks for them to actually find the person to update their system. There should be no issues with devices running Android 14 that are compatible with Rogers WiFi Calling. My s23 Ultra TMB U model running the U1 firmware works perfectly, including WiFi Calling on Samsung's OneUI 6/Android 14 beta 9. The next update for the S23 Ultra's beta users will push the Android 14 non beta release that everyone else should start getting through out November for s23 owners.
Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 11 in conversation