cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei OS updates

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone,

Figured I'd start a thread for the Huawei line of phones at Roger's. This should serve as a great registry for current and upcoming developments.

1st on the docket list for the P20: July 9th security update; June version. I have yet to see this update appear on my phone. This holds true even using the computer firmware software update.

It's currently July 14th and the OS upgrade table has morphed from "June security updates" to "Bug fixes + June security updates"

Can anyone comment on the changelog? I won't inquire about the delay because the most recent update to the chart says it all, I.e "big fixes"

The next anticipated feature I hope will deploy is WiFi calling. VoLTE on the P20 has been phenomenal to date!

***Edited Labels***

224 REPLIES 224

Re: Huawei OS updates

VMS-Guru
I plan to stick around

While I'm disappointed that the update has been delayed again, I agree with @jlkjlk that my P20 Pro is still a great phone. The camera is great, which is why I chose this phone over others, and the battery life is good too. My previous phone was a Lumia 950 - again chosen for its camera - and at least Huawei hasn't abandoned their phones and the OS completely.

I am just as disappointed and peed off as the rest of everyone here. I am just wondering if anyone has thought if maybe possibly there is some connections to the current situation on going with Canada and China, or is this just too far fetched of a conspiracy theory 😉

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community,

We have just received a further update from Huawei Canada. Again, it's not great news, but we will always work to be as transparent as we can.

The details are as follows:

The P20 rollout will now be prolonged from January 16th through to February 15th.

The P20 Pro, again a little more complication. Huawei Canada will now release Android Pie which includes the January security update. The rollout for those who still do not have Android Pie will begin January 21st and is now to be fully completed by February 18th.

The rollout for those already on Android Pie stays the same, and will begin January 21st and be fully completed by January 28th.

I know this is not what any of us wanted to hear, but the reasoning for the rollout schedule revision was to accommodate Chinese New Year, which is a holiday period in China.

RogersDarrell

VMS-Guru
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the update @RogersDarrell. While I'll have to wait longer for the update than I'd really like, I appreciate you updating everyone on the forum, even if it's not good news.

Thanks,

hjt61
I've been around

P20 Pro in BC. Impatiently waiting for the update too...

Btw, I phoned Rogers support earlier. They have no idea what's going on with updates and don't even know that this community support forum exists!

I just hope we don't see another message from Rogers on Feb 16th, telling us now it's March xxx.... 

As an IT guy myself I really can't understand why they cannot offer internet downloads and installation through HiSuite - all the technology is available, so what's the big deal about that? 

machial
I've been around

From Québec.

No update. I have been waiting impatiently since December. It is too long. it's a big problem with Android phones. We have good hardware, but the software does'nt follow the trend.

Companies are obsessed with developing new products (new camera, notch or not, where is the jack?) Rather than improving the software of existing phones.

For example, why Huawei has never done an update to improve the use of P20 Pro cameras. The hardware is there, but the software has its weaknesses.

I think it's my last Android phone and I'm going back to the Apple ecosystem then.

Nothing available for me.

I checked my wife's phone and it had the new update showing. When I clicked to install it, it said the authentication failed and it disappeared. When I hit "check for updates" it now shows as it being up to date (8.1.0.120). No 9.0.

satdan
I plan to stick around

I know most of the comments here are regarding the P20's, but I was wondering when the P10 plus' may be in line for some pie?

Condotta1
I plan to stick around

On my P20 pro, i received the update to EMUI 9 (0.0.178) & the Jan 1 security patch this am. I am located in the Niagara Region, but i don't believe geographic location has anything to do with when and how your unit gets the update.  

As i mentioned previously, My wife has the same phone, purchased 2 months after i got mine and she received the update a month ago (she was in the USA when she got it). That proves that it doesn't matter when or where you got your phone, the updates are issued at random. 

FYI, When you do recieve this update, you will need to go into your settings and disable the TIPS app unless you want it to constantly run and be displayed in your banner. 

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around

congrats. 

can you please comment on how the gesture works on the P20 pro? Does the fingerprint reader get in the way of the swipe up gesture? 

Condotta1
I plan to stick around

I haven't really had the time to use it since this mornings update (im at work) but, i do have the p20 pro which had gestures in EMUI 8. unless there is new features added to gestures in 9, i won't use them. I prefer the old "three-Key Navigation"

i will play around with more tonight but, Unless there is something that i am missing (In 8), there are only a few gestures which are; screen capture, and the launch of 4 apps. You can switch the apps but you can not switch the gesture

I have gestures enabled, and i use it (or Double Knock) for screen capture but that's about it. 

I am in Calgary and got my update around noon, just by simply checking on a hunch. It didn't take long to update, so far so good. I did try the gesture stuff but I really didn't care for it. Keep hitting update you never know... Good luck

Condotta1
I plan to stick around
@ewraight I'm off the same opinion on gestures. I haven't played with it to much since the update but I had them before and they aren't that usefull.

I have received another update with January security patchesScreenshot_20190126_061333_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpgScreenshot_20190126_061333_com.huawei.android.hwouc.jpg

mr-auto
I'm here a lot
Got my update today in the mail via Fed Ex no more waiting for updates and lies on release dates and excuses.My Google pixel 2xl has arrived :-).Huawei are you listening you have lost a customer and probably millions of sales .was going to add a pic but don't know how .

As one of those that got the update I wanted to let those know that are still waiting that all is definitely not perfect. I am finding it incredibly glitchy. My phone constantly shuts open apps that I am using. Earlier today my maps didn't work at all and the GPS on both Google maps and Waze failed. It was only after a restart that things worked. I am finding myself restarting my phone frequently now, something i rarely did before. Hopefully something is n the world to fix the bugs

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around
Got the update 30 minute ago. I m in Scarborough Ontario.

If I experience issue after the update, I might do a backup then factory reset. I often find issues with upgraded from my xperia days... And factory reset tend to make it better

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around
The update process took around 40min, and the initiate impressive is really good. I really like the pie gesture navigation.

For those who said they are not interested in the gesture based navigation. Please note the pie gesture is native to Pie, and work similar to the iphone X experience, and not the gesture navigation Huawei tried to create under EMUI 8

If you dont care the gesture to be honest, then theres not that much upgrade compared to EMUI 8 imho

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around

Just a quick update, the updated OS have been stable and without any noticeable bugs. 

My build number is 9.0.0.159, and security update is November 2018. 

leadsuxx
I plan to stick around
Just received the update finally last night.

Hopefully it will be stable without any issues.

So far so good.

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around

I hope you all getting the update soon. It's absolutely amazing, I made a video to showcase the EMUI 9 gesture navigation for anyone who might be interested:

https://youtu.be/F4T5cemvrjg