cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers restricts what cell #s it will send alerts to

LJD2005
I plan to stick around

Rogers systems will send SMS alerts, Verification codes, Recovery numbers, bill notifications and more BUT ONLY TO ROGERS/FIDO/CHATR cell numbers. So any of us with other cell phones can never get those texts from Rogers (it took a Telus tech to realize that's why I don't get these texts from Rogers).
THAT IS ABSURD. It is archaic (back to the days of "internal" texts to avoid costs) and ignores all the people who have cell service with other providers for a variety of reasons (including work provisions etc). EG: MyRogers> Settings > Contact & Billing > Add wireless number : CAN'T, IT SAYS "Please enter a Rogers or Fido cellular number only. We’ll send a verification text for security." Same with all the other features above, bill notifications, recovery number in My Profile (it wants to send you a verification text, which it can't),  also SMS notifications when Voicemail received etc.
PLEASE MAKE ANY SERVICE/SYSTEM TEXTS AVAILABLE TO BE SENT TO ANY CELL.
As it is, rogers has NO way to voice contact me except from the Rogers own VOIP "home phone" which won't work in a power outage. Ridiculous.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers restricts what cell #s it will send alerts to

LJD2005
I plan to stick around

Dang, sorry to hear. I’m the OP, and thought I’d add now it finally is working, I did have conversations with them, not sure what changed, good luck!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RogersTony

Hello, @LJD2005

Thank you for posting your concerns to the community.

I can imagine how frustrating it is to not receive these important messages. This is the first time we are hearing about this specific issue. 

• Can you describe how you are updating the contact information? Are you doing it on your mobile device using the app or via Rogers.com on a web browser?
  • Are you able to receive SMS notifications from other sources?
  • Can you describe how the Telus tech support agent determined it was a Rogers issue?

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

LJD2005
I plan to stick around

The Telus tech helped me retrace all the steps and that's when we see the ridiculous POLICY in small print: "Please enter a Rogers or Fido cellular number only. We’ll send a verification text for security." So it is a POLICY issue that needs to be changed, to update their systems so notification texts can be sent to ANY cell #, no matter the provider. 
This is found:
-Proflie & Settings > Contact & Billing:

- where you try to add or change your wireless # 

-where you try to add your wireless # for bill notifications (I have it set to ON, and my cell # is in there, but I do NOT get the notifications... because it is not a Rogers/Fido cell #)

When I go to update my wireless #, it says this under the box to type your number:

"Please enter a Rogers or Fido cellular number only. We’ll send a verification text for security."

UPDATE:

- Last week, before I started this tech investigation, it was also in MyRogers Profile, if you try to "Update your recovery number".
I never could, because it would say it was sending me a verfication text, which I never got (about 25 times, working with 3 techs), but TODAY, it worked, and did NOT say "must be a Rogers/Fido number", so MAYBE this has had an effect on changing it?

Now they just need to update the other ones listed above.

ImNoNerdYo
I've been here awhile

this does not help my issue, i get the message on both and no texts

ImNoNerdYo

Hello @LJD2005 & @ImNoNerdYo,

Thank you so much for bringing this issue to our attention! It has been flagged to the appropriate teams for investigation. If we receive any further updates, we'll post it here in the Community.  😊

Kindest of regards!

RogersYasmine

Bob233
I've been around

Two months later and this still is a problem. You cannot update your wireless number in Billing and Contacts if it is not a Rogers or Fido number. Pretty stupid...

ani153
I've been around

I am facing the same issue. Unable to verify my number un my profile nor able to add a recovery number, because when I request for verification code, it never arrives. It has been more than 6 months since I am facing this issue.

dragonzealot
I've been here awhile

Same issue for me. Still not fixed. CS said it is being fixed by the back office. May be they are too busy?

ryaaahs
I've been around

I would love to update my billing address or add a wireless number, but cannot get a verification code to my cell. Settings like this, shouldn't be limited to specific carriers.

@RogersYasmineAny update on this?

MD98
I've been around

Any updates on this @RogersYasmine? Nothing’s changed on the website.

brophweb
I've been here awhile

Wow, unbelievable. So that's why I can't verify my cell number. I've been trying to figure this out for hours now, and finally found this thread. All my codes are coming via e-mail, and I have to actually open the email to view the code (with a text I can view it right away, and even click "Copy xxxxxx" to quickly get the code).

Sometimes I'm logging in through a link from an email, so to view the code I have to start over again and make sure to open the link in a browser window.

This is day 2 of me being a Rogers customer, and so far things are not looking good.

LJD2005
I plan to stick around

Dang, sorry to hear. I’m the OP, and thought I’d add now it finally is working, I did have conversations with them, not sure what changed, good luck!

brophweb
I've been here awhile
Oh, thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into it again and see if I can make any headway.
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 10 in conversation