cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect charge on my bill for Roaming which I DID not use.

wasabi100
I've been around

I have a $12 charge for roaming usage for AT&T Wireless/USA.  I DID NOT absolutely roam for even 1 minute as I was not out of the country.  I have been unfairly charged in the past and when I contacted Rogers, their agent was so rude and refused to refund me the money even though I never ever roamed.  I don't have a local data plan at all and on my recent bill, they stated I roamed and charged me $12 plus tax.  

My dad was in the hospital on the date they allegedly claimed I "roamed."  If my charge is not refunded, I will most certainly be contacting the CRTC to file a complaint.  This behaviour is totally unacceptable.

***Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Incorrect charge on my bill for Roaming which I DID not use.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Were you by any chance close to a US border?

Radio signals do not magically stop at a geographic border,  When you watch TV you can pick up USA channels right?  well the same goes for USA Cell networks, if your close to the border, your phone may pick up the signal and connect to it,  there is a setting in your phone to disallow this.  even if your not in usa your phones are capable of picking up and connecting to the signal.   its not impossible what im trying to tell you

Re: Incorrect charge on my bill for Roaming which I DID not use.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wasabi100 : As mentioned by @Pauly , if you're near the border you can easily end up roaming because you can become connected to a US cell tower. You will usually get a text telling you that you're roaming.  In order to avoid these sorts of charges, go into your phone's settings and find your Network settings. Set this to "Rogers" instead of "Auto".  This will prevent any roaming charges when you're near the border.  You can set it back to "auto" if you travel and wish to roam.

In addition, check out the following to learn more about roaming if you plan to travel:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Roaming-like-home/m-p/518044/highlight/true#M3...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Understanding-How-Roaming-Works/m-p/531963

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation