cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing digital cable package

rgriffit
I'm here a lot

We have a digital VIP cable package together with an HDTV Speciality package, total cost $112 which quite frankly is excessive based on the actual channels we regularly watch. We would like to start from scratch again and switch to the basic digital cable package plus the TSN channels and Sportsnet. WE DO NOT WANT TO STICH TO IGNITE.

How do we go about this? 

***Edited Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Changing digital cable package

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rgriffit wrote:

We have a digital VIP cable package together with an HDTV Speciality package, total cost $112 which quite frankly is excessive based on the actual channels we regularly watch. We would like to start from scratch again and switch to the basic digital cable package plus the TSN channels and Sportsnet. WE DO NOT WANT TO STICH TO IGNITE.

How do we go about this? 

You can send a private message to @CommunityHelps and ask them what your options are.  Rogers very recently took the next step to discontinue Digital TV -- they no longer sell their basic Starter package as a Digital TV offering anymore to new customers; they now sell Ignite TV as a standalone service.  However, they say that existing Digital TV customers can still upgrade/downgrade/change their packages.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

I have the digital Starter pack for $25, and like to call in to add or subtract channels or theme packs. It's still cheaper than upgrading to Select or more expensive base packages that don't have the channels I want, or only need for a week or two.

With Sportsnet or TSN theme packs, it's expected that you keep those for at least a month before cancelling (but I've never tried to cancel early to see how strict this policy is for those sports packages).

The Sportsnet Plus theme pack through Rogers is $18 month plus tax (it also includes the Golf Channel, but NOT Sportsnet World), but if you add TSN Plus (Note: I'm not talking about TSN's new online Plus service) to it, it's just $7 more, so that's $25 per month plus tax for both packages. You can do it the other way around, so that all the TSN channels are $18 month (includes Big10 channel), and all the Sportsnet channels are $7 more.

I own my PVR, but if you don't own your boxes, check to see if you are getting a reduced box rental rate because of your VIP deal. If you downgrade to the basic Starter pack, the box rental is extra, unless Rogers gives you a special deal.

Whenever I call Rogers, there's often a push to switch to Ignite, so just stay calm and let them know you are happy with the legacy boxes.

In addition, since the Rogers computer system and agents' laptops etc, are often severely flawed, many channel additions fail (even basic stuff like adding CNN can take multiple agents, until it gets added properly -- there's an alternate way to add it properly, that not all agents know about). Just don't get fooled into switching to Ignite because the agent incorrectly tells you that perhaps you need to switch to Ignite to get CNN, etc.

There are also some channel restrictions for the Starter pack, that don't apply to more expensive digital packages like Select -- perhaps like TSN2 as a standalone $7 channel, can only be added as part of TSN Plus $18 theme pack or $25 comboTSN/Sportsnet theme pack, if you have the basic Starter Pack (unless Rogers removed that past restriction).

You may also encounter some errors within the Rogers digital channel restrictions, extra info notes (like actually being able to add the $3 Super Stations theme pack with WPIX, KTLA WGN and WSBK, Without needing to add a movie channel, even though the info icon still incorrectly states that you Need a movie channel to get that $3 theme pack , but it's luckily wrong, so no movie channel is needed), and you might even notice missing digital channels on the Rogers website, like a listing for a standalone Super Channel option for $9.99 month - although you should be able to call in and order it (and there might still be a Rogers offer for 3 months free that might take time for an agent to dig up, if you're eligible - like I was a few months ago). Some freebies don't apply to the Starter pack subscribers, but I still get all the free previews that randomly appear each month. Be sure to have your Guide set to Subscribed channels, so it's easy to spot the freebies -- some might even stay free longer than they should ... That's fine with me.

Make a list of the channels you must have, and then figure out what package is best for you. Rogers can email you the PDF versions for the various main packages like Select, Premier, etc., But you'll need to ask for the prices separately.

Legacy for the win. 🏁

Idmc01
I'm here a lot

Am happy with Digital TV as think we could probably downgrade from our current Premier package. Problem is that I can't seem to find any info. on the Rogers site for the supposed other packages that are still being honored -- starter, select and popular. Does anyone have a link to where that type of info. -- cost as well as features -- may be located?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

there is probably a stop sell on all digital cable packages, they do not sell it to new customers for a long time now and its very likely they will not allow you to change packages.  if you want to do any programming change, your probably forced over to ignite tv system.

Idmc01
I'm here a lot

There's certainly a hard-sell on Ignite no matter which department you talk with but as I understand it Rogers is obligated (as per CRTC) to allow existing Digital TV customers to upgrade/downgrade or otherwise change packages. But they certainly don't want to make it easy for you if you're residential. However, there doesn't seem to be that type of restriction for  business customers -- all kinds of digital tv offer including equipment.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

they may very well still offer package changes on grandfathered cable tv, however they will not be offering any credits or promotions.  your basically at the end of the line using a car that no mechanic wants to fix anymore.

Idmc01
I'm here a lot

Understood. Since I also have a 13-year-old car as my main transportation, I get the risk. Unfortunately Ignite is not a cost-effective solution for our household. Maybe being able to downsize the digital TV portion will make it possible to keep Rogers as a supplier. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Idmc01 wrote:

Am happy with Digital TV as think we could probably downgrade from our current Premier package. Problem is that I can't seem to find any info. on the Rogers site for the supposed other packages that are still being honored -- starter, select and popular. Does anyone have a link to where that type of info. -- cost as well as features -- may be located?

According to this link, legacy Digital TV customers can still upgrade/downgrade their packages, add/remove channels, etc. for as long as the service remains running.  Apparently, you can do this yourself on MyRogers.  If you cannot, try sending a private message to @CommunityHelps (they are the Moderators on this Forum) and ask them for assistance.

Idmc01
I'm here a lot

Thanks I actually found that 2 days ago while I was in queue for a Live Chat with someone in Loyalty. Even though I provided the actual link on the Rogers site, she claimed she couldn't make that change. All I could supposedly do was keep my same package. She did, however, offer to put me in queue again to speak with a manager. Since I'd already devoted more than 3 hours to the matter that day, I no longer had time to pursue. Back at it today. As promised, will let you know how I fare. 

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation