cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing an Infinite 5G Plan to Mobile Internet Plan

Leith1812
I've been here awhile

I have a 150GB Infinite plan and I don't use the phone/texting services.

I want to change it to a Mobile Internet plan.

Is it possible to do this without purchasing the modems advertised under the Mobile Internet plan section of the website? I'd just like to convert the number I have from 5G Infinite to Home Internet. I'm fine just tethering my device rather than purchasing a modem.

Thanks

Edit: From 5G Infinite Plan to one of these plans https://www.rogers.com/mobility/5g-home-internet

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Changing an Infinite 5G Plan to Mobile Internet Plan

RogersZia

Good evening @Leith1812,

Welcome to the Community!

This is a great question.  You would have to purchase a Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway along with your plan. You cannot use any other gateway modem with this product. The modem is available for $0/mo for 2 years with financing and promo credit. The Rogers 5G Home Internet SIM will only work with the Nokia FastMile 5G gateway and vice versa.

Additionally, this is a data-only device. You can’t use it to make voice calls or send or receive text messages. I know you've mentioned that you have little use of the two services, maybe you can reduce your cellular plan to something minimal and activate this service for majority of your Internet needs? 

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you would like to set this service up.

RogersZia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RogersZia

Good evening @Leith1812,

Welcome to the Community!

This is a great question.  You would have to purchase a Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway along with your plan. You cannot use any other gateway modem with this product. The modem is available for $0/mo for 2 years with financing and promo credit. The Rogers 5G Home Internet SIM will only work with the Nokia FastMile 5G gateway and vice versa.

Additionally, this is a data-only device. You can’t use it to make voice calls or send or receive text messages. I know you've mentioned that you have little use of the two services, maybe you can reduce your cellular plan to something minimal and activate this service for majority of your Internet needs? 

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you would like to set this service up.

RogersZia

Leith1812
I've been here awhile

Hi Zia,

I'd be fine with this solution, but I do have another issue I'd like to resolve before moving forward.

When I signed up in April, I got an iPhone 13 and was quoted $160ish a month after taxes for a 100GB Infinite plan. My first bill was $800+ and I did my best to pay it down. In July, I finally had it down to around $220, but was constantly receiving texts in regard to my data being cut off. I would have started making payments on this immediately, but my name recorded wrong on the account (last letters CK rather than CH) and I didn't receive my first bill in my PO Box until June, putting me two months behind. I called around this time and realized the spelling error, and started receiving my bills reliable after that.

It's now my understanding that my credit limit on the account was $500, so that additional money was for the device. Which I understand, and again I'm fine with. The problem is I'm on a fixed income ($460/month) so playing catch up with these payments is near impossible for me. My current bill is $440 ish, and $220 of it is for my past bills.
Of that $220, $32 is for a "paging fee" I didn't sign up for and $100 is for late fees, which will continue to acrue because I'm not in a financial position to make another lump sum payment to bring the bill up to date. Most of my payments to bring the bill down to where it is now came from GST rebates and borrowing additional money, of which I'm also paying back.

I spoke with one representative and they mentioned they could remove the late fees and paging fees, and offer me a $350 "back pocket offer" to help with the additional costs of the phone that were unexpected. What I'm having trouble with is communicating this to customer service representatives when I call in, and the conversations go on forever and ever with no resolution.

I'd be interested in reducing my cell bill to the lowest possible, maybe a few gigabytes with basic call/texting. The idea of the 100GB (now 150GB) plan was to use the phone as my primary internet. I wasn't aware of the mobile internet service. I believe with the $0 wifi modem and a reduced plan, my bills would be around $120-$130, much less than I'm paying now.

Is there a way for us to resolve these late charges/paging fee charges, utilize the back pocket deal, bring my account up to date, and move forward?

Thanks,

J

Greetings @Leith1812

Yikes! We're sorry to hear about what has transpired. 😥 As a consumer myself, I know firsthand how imperative it is to ensure you stay within your budget and how impactful an unexpected bill amount can be. This is most certainly not the type of experience we want you to be having. It surely doesn't sound like we've started off on the best footing.  

With that being said, we may be able to come up with a payment arrangement in hopes of assisting you with getting caught up with your past due payment. Have you had the chance to connect with our Credit Operations Department since you've last posted? I found a helpful article with their contact information that you can find here.

Regarding the late payment fees and paging fee removals, were you provided with a reference number for the interaction which we can use to cross reference? We'd be more than happy to have a gander at your account to see if we can make things more cost-effective while ensuring you still have all your needs and wants. Just for clarification purposes, has your name since been corrected? 

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. If you're not familiar with our messaging system, click here.

Looking forward to hearing from you, 

RogersJo 

E_M_K
I've been around
Be careful of that plan mentioned, as the download speed for streaming services such as Netflix, is throttled back to a max 3 mbps. Very slow and pretty much impossible for quality streaming service.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation