cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a new internet plan to a Rogers modem

rt1000
I've been here awhile

I am renting a new place for four weeks where there is a working Rogers modem (Easy Connect) available with an Active status and connected to the Rogers network. The previous owner of the modem is no longer interested in using it, and we would like to have the modem re-registered under my Rogers account so I can temporarily activate an Internet plan. I am not using any Rogers Internet products so far, only wireless. Would that be possible with Rogers? It seems to be a rather simple action, providing short-term "Easy Connect" internet access.

I have made a phone call to Rogers, but the agent told me that this scenario is not available under his instructions, and I was placed on hold for about an hour until he could check the available options. At the end of the phone call, he was not sure yet what should be the process to be followed. I was only advised to follow the general case, including ordering a new modem and paying the set-up and other fees. In addition, I was also informed that it may take up to ten business days to have an appointment at the location for installing the new modem and testing the equipment. Yes, I am only renting the place for three-four weeks.

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Adding a new internet plan to a Rogers modem

RogersRahul
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Greetings @rt1000,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's always a great idea to ask questions before signing up for a new product or service as this helps you avoid any unexpected surprises! In regards to your concern, if the current account/equipment is still active under the previous owner’s name, you will have to set up a new account under your name with a new equipment. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
RogersRahul

rt1000
I've been here awhile

Thank you, RogersRahul. So, if I understand correctly, it would be not possible just to transfer the equipment to my name, even if the previous owner changes the equipment status to inactive.

Are there any other options with Rogers allowing for the quick access to Internet - within one business day, for example. Following the standard process may take up to 10 business days, which is not very useful in case of short-term rentals as mine. 

Hello @rt1000,

That’s right! You will need to set up a new account under your name with a new equipment. There is a dedicated Ignite TV/Internet concierge team that can help you to speed up the installation. There is also a self-install option which I think would be a great option in your case.

Contact information: 1-888-ROGERS-1

Hours of Operation:  Monday to Sunday: 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (ET)

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
RogersRahul

rt1000
I've been here awhile

Thank you, @RogersRahul. I was in contact with the Rogers Team and their recommendation was a very different one from yours. They do not recommend the Internet router service at all given the short period of time, rather than using data from my mobile service plan via cellphone or a wireless internet stick.

The Internet router service is also the most expensive one, among those options, and includes cancellation within two-three weeks as well as additional follow-ups with a so-called Retention Team - in other words, it can be much more time-consuming in addition to the extra costs. It is unclear why you would recommend going in direction of the most expensive service (direct and indirect costs) offered by Rogers in the given context; it seems that practical considerations should be the top priority in such cases when customers need quick solutions, with marketing - of much secondary importance. 

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation