cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Remote

intruder1500
I plan to stick around

Just got a new remote as the other one quit working. On some channels the remote enters the digit 5 after you punch in a channel selection. For example if you enter channel 79 the tv screen shows the 79 and then adds 5 to it so you go right to channel 795. If you try to enter 079 the tv shows that and it goes to 79 and then a 5 appears on the screen and the tv goes to channel 5. Tried rebooting the box.....no change. Interesting that it was doing the same thing for channel 720 but now it seems to work fine. Very strange!

***Added Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: TV Remote

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@intruder1500 wrote:

Just got a new remote as the other one quit working. On some channels the remote enters the digit 5 after you punch in a channel selection. For example if you enter channel 79 the tv screen shows the 79 and then adds 5 to it so you go right to channel 795. If you try to enter 079 the tv shows that and it goes to 79 and then a 5 appears on the screen and the tv goes to channel 5. Tried rebooting the box.....no change. Interesting that it was doing the same thing for channel 720 but now it seems to work fine. Very strange!

Based on the details of your post, that a channel change occurs without the need to press OK/Select, you are a Digital TV customer.

Has this problem gotten any better or worse now that you have had some time to "break in" the remote?  Also, which set-top box do you have, and are you using the remote in RF mode or IR mode?

intruder1500
I plan to stick around

Its a Nextbox....no change in " adding digit 5 " on its own and its only on certain channels. I have noticed that if you enter a channel selection that ends with a 5 there is no problem. RF or IR...I don't know what that means. Went to  a Rogers store and they had never heard of this issue. Only change as I stated before is that channel 720 was working okay after a couple of days.

intruder1500
I plan to stick around
Oh that's what it means....its IR Mode

@intruder1500  I can't tell for sure why this is happening.

It might be that Rogers sent you a used/refurbished or defective remote.  Remotes can also do weird things when the batteries are low, so please test again with fresh batteries.

It's possible that something in your environment (e.g. fluorescent light bulbs) may be causing the set-top box to misinterpret infrared codes from the remote... although I would expect that this would have been a problem before changing the remote as well.

It could also be a problem with your set-top box.

Do you have any other Rogers remotes that you can test with?  If so, try using one of those to change channels.  (You don't need to reprogram it.)  If you have no problems changing channels, ask Rogers for a replacement remote.  Similarly, try using your new remote with another set-top box.  If you run into the same problem when changing channels, that would also confirm that your new remote is defective.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a post that may be useful if you're experiencing IR interference:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/is-your-lcd-or-plasma-or-other-stuff-affecting-your-stb-or-pvr.64...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@-G- wrote:

@intruder1500  I can't tell for sure why this is happening.

It might be that Rogers sent you a used/refurbished or defective remote.

I don't believe Rogers recycles or refurbishes remotes.  Just take it to a Rogers store and they'll replace it.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

intruder1500
I plan to stick around

It did look like it was used.....printing on back of remote faded and dirt in grooves on cover. Not anxious to get a replacement unit as it took 2 plus hours of aggravation to get it to connect to the TV.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation