cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Rogers going to force me to use Ignite?

RyeEncoke
I plan to stick around

I have the digital tv service still, although they keep pushing the price up on that.  Once this current bundle expires is rogers going to force me to get Ignite or will they continue the digital tv still?  I refuse to go to Ignite, I have seen the reviews and the problems and have no interest in it at all since the only devices I have are the tv, computer and land line.  I am already looking at what services I can get from Bell just in case. 

***Added Labels***

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Is Rogers going to force me to use Ignite?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers will not confirm that for the time being.  I believe Rogers will probably keep Legacy Digital Cable for a couple more years, but it depends how many people still need to be migrated, technician availability and equipment availability.  In the meantime, there are other methods like pricing, available features, available channels, that may encourage Legacy Digital Cable customers to migrate to IgniteTV.

RyeEncoke
I plan to stick around

yeah I figured that would probably be the case.  Will probably end up just keeping my internet (and landline if possible) and getting rid of the tv...too expensive and don't watch much of anything on it other than news and the Stingray channels...both of which I can get online.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I switch to Ignite TV over a year ago, one of the best decision ever made, I get alot more channel for the same price I was paying with legacy, Flex and Cloud PVR is the best part. Never had an issue with Ignite TV, except for a 2-3 minor issue with the Ignite TV web interface on my laptop. Other than that, Ignite TV is pretty much perfect.

RyeEncoke
I plan to stick around

will have to see how much my next bundle will go up by and if they can finally come and install the ignite and how much it will be. 

thats a lie, ignite offers less channels in the packages than digital cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@digitalcox wrote:

thats a lie, ignite offers less channels in the packages than digital cable.

Your comment is comparing apples and oranges. There are no digital cable packages available to subscribe to now. There are only the grandfathered packages which people negotiated years ago. So, while it is true that the "Premier" or similar package with IgniteTV contains fewer channels than "Premier" did with Digital Cable, it's not possible to get Digital Cable as a new customer. New customers must get IgniteTV. 

Also, many IgniteTV packages have Flex channels, which allow you to have many channels that you do want without actually having as many channels as before that you didn't really want anyway. 

chank
I plan to stick around

If it is of any interest, I too am still on digital cable, and have just spoken with a Rogers rep as my current savings will expire in three weeks. My bill will be going up about $17pm (I have TV sports package and internet). I have had an offer of IgniteTV Flex20 + sports package that comes in at the same price I am paying now, (IOW $17 less than for digital cable). So for the first time it will be cheaper for me to have Ignite. As regards to the number of channels, if I move to Ignite I will be getting fewer channels, but all the ones we usually watch are included or can be included. I am still not sure about taking the plunge as I can't find answers to my questions anywhere so I will be posting them on these forums at some point.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chank :  I see you are asking a lot of questions that have already been answered in previous threads. I suggest you read through at least a few of the threads in the IgniteTV forum before asking still more questions that have already been discussed, like bridge mode, etc.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-do-you-like-Ignite-TV-compared-to-Digital-Cable/...

The Search function in this forum can also be used to find previous discussions:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Blog/Rogers-Community-Forums-Tips-amp-Tricks-Using-the-Search-...

There is also a huge IgniteTV knowledgebase:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/tkb-p/IgniteTV@tkb

Once you've had a chance to review some of the above, please feel free to ask questions for which you didn't find answers.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The way I see it is they want to force people to switch, either switch now, or they will force it later. Look at Analog cable, they managed to force everyone off that and onto digital cable.

Ratkindler
I've been here awhile

I just switched from digital cable/internet to Ignite this week and so far, I'm impressed.  All the channels I normally watch are on the package I chose except for PBS.  The Flexchannels option allows me to swap out many that I wouldn't watch.  I can now watch live TV and recorded PVRs on devices throughout my home.  The voice control remote is something I didn't realize I needed until I started using it.  So handy.  All this and a super upgrade to my internet and it's 30% cheaper than I was paying for my legacy service.  It never occurred to me that I would be paying less for an upgrade.   I hope it's reliable.  I haven't seen any issues so far.

chank
I plan to stick around

@Ratkindler thanks for the info. Just out of interest, do you notice a lag when changing channel compared to digital cable? ISTR that a few people on these forums have mentioned that a while ago. Just wondered if that is still a thing.

Ratkindler
I've been here awhile

I was concerned about performance when I learned that both TV and internet were going through wifi but I've been testing things extensively the last few days with no issues occurring.  Live TV and PVR play fine with no stuttering or other issues no matter what else I'm doing with the internet.  Internet speeds have been maximum no matter what I'm doing with the TV (e.g. playing live TV or PVR or streaming Youtube).  Changing channels has not had any lags or other issues.  I guess I'm lucky that there's no wifi interference where I live.  Rogers provided some cable caps to reduce interference from exposed cables but they were only male caps and all my cables were male.  I don't know why they wouldn't provide female caps.  After reading these forums I've been worried about future problems but for now it's great.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's great that you have no problem with your ignite wifi.   To answer your question, those caps are called terminators.  They are male connector because they are meant to screw onto a coax wall plate female connector.

They dont make a terminator with a female connector because its made for . onto a wall plate, now to solve this, you can just put a F-Type barrel connector coming off the coax cable, and then screw the terminator onto the end, and voila, you did it!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ratkindler wrote:

1. I was concerned about performance ...Internet speeds have been maximum no matter what I'm doing...

2. Rogers provided some cable caps to reduce interference from exposed cables but they were only male caps and all my cables were male. 

1. As an FYI, HD channels typically use only about 10 mbps, or less, and 4K channels use about 25 mbps, or less.  That's why Internet is typically not adversely affected since most people have 300 or 500, or 1000 mbps.

2. Not really sure why anyone would have any "exposed cables". The other end of that cable shouldn't be connected to anything. For example, the only  cables that should be connected at the demarcation point (where cable enters the house and is (usually) split) are cables that are active.

I have several rooms with cable outlets that are not used, but I have no need for terminators because the other end of those cables are not connected to anything.  In addition, if the unused cables are connected, then that would mean there is additional "splitting" occurring at the demarcation point, which reduces signal strength on active cables.

With Ignite, this is not as much of a concern, because there is only one device (the gateway) that is connected to RF-coax.

Ratkindler
I've been here awhile

With respect to exposed cables, I was on legacy cable TV until this week and had 4 cables.  These are cables that come through the wall and are not outlets.  This is how cables used to be in homes.  This is why they're all male and not terminated.

chank
I plan to stick around

This is sort of a related question, but with this Ignite WiFi Promise thing, I understand if an IgniteTV installation is done by a Rogers tech, they would assess whether you had appropriate WiFi coverage in the house, and if not, plug in WiFi repeater pods (free of charge) to extend the network where needed. Now that all installations are encouraged to be done by the customer (understandably so), how does one request a pod where there is a network dead spot? I currently have an old router being used as a WAP to give us coverage in the back yard and in one corner of the house. This is an old 54Mbps router and I would like not to have to continue to use it to get the coverage. (I understand that you can request a pod from Rogers but they cost $5 pm which sounds very steep to me).

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 in conversation