cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explorer 4250/4290 and flashing bypass LED icon

myusername100
I plan to stick around

Greetings Experts,

Like to lean on your knowledge.  Had a little scare this morning.  My explorer 4250  (aka SD4290) was off.  I unplugged the power cord, waited a minute, plugged it back it and nothing.  I did not get the power on clicking noise.  Became upset because I thought the box died and I have to buy another one.  Walked away, 30 minutes later I notice a new strange behaviour.  It resurrected.  I had a letter/email icon,  the word ‘bypass’ and next to ‘bypass’ was a power symbol.   All 3 of these icons were blinking.  Never seen this before.  I left it be, searched the internet with not much success.  Found a post informing me to contact my provider (Rogers) because my box is not registered?  One hour later, the box started to act normal again.  It now has been 25-30 minutes of ‘normal’ activity.

What happened, should I be concerned, was this a one time thing? 

How do I fix this if it happens again or how do I prevent this from happening again?  I find it odd that my box would all of a sudden be un-registered then magically re-register itself.

Cheers

**Labels Added**

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Explorer 4250/4290 and flashing bypass LED icon

RogersCorey

Greetings @myusername100!

As you are using legacy equipment that is being phased out, it's possible your hardware is failing and this is just an early warning sign. Please keep in mind that we no longer provide any replacements for this equipment.

I would highly recommend that you consider migrating to Ignite TV so as to avoid any potential disruption to your service due to hardware failure. If you'd like to explore your migration options with us, feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. 

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

myusername100
I plan to stick around

This has been going on for 3 days now.   In a strange coincidence of trial and error, I noticed I had to reboot one of my other boxes to get this one started.  It is as if rebooting another box re-initializes this problematic one ??  If it is dying it is a strange way to go.

Is there any other explanation?

Thanks

@myusername100  The only reason that I can think of as to why rebooting one Digital TV set-top box would affect any other would be if you have Whole Home PVR.

myusername100
I plan to stick around

Nope, no PVR, but thanks.  I know this is a long shot, but going back to what RogersCorey said,  is there a shop or a facility I can take my box for repairs?  Does anyone out there still fix these?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I vaguely remember one of my set top boxes  had the 3 lights blinking. I believe that started happening before it went dead and never came back alive.

If you really try hard enough yes I'm sure you can have these boxes repaired, but it might not be cost effective and also don't forget these boxes and the accompanying technology on the head end are at end of life.

@myusername100 wrote:

Nope, no PVR, but thanks.  I know this is a long shot, but going back to what RogersCorey said,  is there a shop or a facility I can take my box for repairs?  Does anyone out there still fix these?

I don't think that these cable boxes are worth trying to repair.  Former Rogers Digital TV customers are selling their old boxes on Kijiji for less than $25.  This old tech may also only have a useful life of only a few months.  Rogers has not formally announced when they will discontinue the Digital TV service, although the common belief is that the service will be shut down by the end of 2023.  (This is also when Rogers will be booting legacy DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems from their network.)

myusername100
I plan to stick around

What kind of iptv boxes does Rogers have?   I'm not keen to switching.  Not interested in watching tv over wi-fi which leaves me running ethernet cables which I'm also not interested in.   I want a set top box with a built in modem.  I want to screw in my existing coaxial cable and way I go.  That is how easy I want it if Rogers is forcing me to switch.   

Got to say,  alot of us are happy with regular cable television,  if we have to switch to IPTV we might as well check out what the competition has to offer.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

I love my 4k PVR, but I like the idea of outliving it, once Rogers ends digital tv. As soon as it's gone, there's not a single system left that I would pay for.

I enjoyed SlingTV, C/KU satellite service, and a bunch of other services, but I decided to focus on free wifi content and the Rogers 4k PVR to close out my career of media addiction.

Bell's new Android box gets lousy reviews, and Bell's On Demand is like Rogers current digital one (although at least I can skip the commercials because of Rogers' faulty system).

Since you already have Rogers, once digital is done, you might as well try Ignite, at least to see how well it works in your home, and how it compares to whatever other systems you try later on.

There's an Ignite 30-day money back guarantee you could always take advantage of, but when you mail back the equipment, you might initially get charged for it, until they locate it in the Rogers warehouse.

Anyway, enjoy every last breath of simple TV, because it might take several more years until Rogers and the gang make you happy with IPTV ... Even though many current Ignite subscribers would Never go back to legacy digital, at any price point.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation