cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital cable television packages

I plan to stick around

Where would customers of the digital cable television service (not to be confused with the new Ignite platform) be able to find packages and pricing information?  The Web site is extremely poor in navigating and finding this information, and the customer service folks on chat appear to be clueless as to where to find the information.  I don't understand why this information would not be easily accessible to those that subscribe to the service (nor do I understand why the customer service representatives on chat are clueless about where to find the information).

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Digital cable television packages

I plan to stick around

For those interested in a solution to the original problem presented in this posting:

• Contact Rogers and ask them to provide you with a PDF file of each of their digital television cable packages, and they will email it to you.  Be prepared to encounter employees that are clueless as to what digital television cable is, and that they send you information on the Ignite platform instead, however after a few hours, you should have the information that you were seeking.
  • If you do not wish to waste your time, go to the following Source Cable Web page, where they list digital television cable packages: https://www.sourcecable.ca/shop/tv/.  The listed packages should be about the same as what Rogers provides; but there may be some differences depending on your location.

Did I say how amazed I was after this entire experience, that a billion Dollar company is unable to provide existing customers with basic information on the services for which they pay?

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@422151819119  The information is not readily-available on the Rogers web site because Rogers has stopped Digital TV to new customers, and Digital TV customers do not have the same self-service tools on MyRogers that Ignite TV customers do.  However, you can still make changes to your Digital TV service by calling 888-ROGERS1 or sending a private message to @CommunityHelps .  The @CommunityHelps team should also be able to send you a list of channels that are available in any Digital TV or Ignite TV package.

I plan to stick around

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I am aware that one may call Rogers in order to make changes to their television packages, however the question here is where to find information on the packages themselves.  Surely this information must be accessible to customers in written form somewhere.

Use the following link, fill in your address and all the bundles, channels, themes, etc will come up. They take some time to load so be patient.

https://www.rogers.com/bundles/offers

For Bundle package pricing, go to the main Rogers website click on TV&Streaming - Bundles - IgniteTV

I plan to stick around

Wouldn't this only be applicable to those that use the new Ignite platform?

Sorry, yes that is IgniteTV - I wasn't paying enough attention.  There haven't been posted options for Digital Cable for quite a while as mentioned by @-G- .  If you want to find out your options for Digital Cable, you will need to contact Rogers.  Sending a PM to @CommunityHelps as suggested by @-G-  is one option, or use any of the other "contact us" options outlined at the bottom of most Rogers web pages.

Be aware that Rogers is migrating everyone to IgniteTV, therefore pricing for Digital Cable will not be great and there will be "incentives" to move to IgniteTV.  Rumour is that Digital Cable will be ending around the end of 2023.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
The digital Starter pack page with the theme packs and pricing was just recently purged because when that page is accessed from my bookmark, or Google search result, I am redirected to the new IgniteTV-only starter pack page.

IgniteTV ... Burn baby burn.

I plan to stick around

@CommunityHelps, please see the above and direct me (and other users on these forums) to the information requested.  Thanks!

@422151819119 wrote:

@CommunityHelps, please see the above and direct me (and other users on these forums) to the information requested.  Thanks!

There is no such information available online. As we have mentioned several times in this thread, Rogers needs to look into your specific account.  You will need to contact Rogers as previously mentioned per the contact us options, or by PMing @CommunityHelps :

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps  .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

Digital Cable is being phased out and everyone will be migrated to IgniteTV. Rumour has it that this will happen around the end of 2023, except for some MDUs. (apartments and the like).  Digital Cable will no longer be an option, although some people may resist migrating until then, or go to a different service provider.

I plan to stick around

Television service packages (and the channels under those packages) would not be based on the person/account using the service. They are sometimes based on the region, and some services could be bundled for a cheaper price, but would not be based on the person.  The packages are what they are, and they contain a certain selection of channels.

I am very surprised that this information is so difficult to obtain, be it on the site, from customer service representatives on chat, or these forums. We are talking about a service that continues to be offered and sold to customers; thus the information should be readily available.

@CommunityHelps, I have sent you a private message to get your attention and point you to this posting.  For my own information, as well as for the information of others such that we have value from these forums as a source of information, would you please post the information that is being asked?

@422151819119 wrote:

1. Television service packages (and the channels under those packages) would not be based on the person.

2. We are talking about a service that continues to be offered and sold to customers; 

3. @CommunityHelps, I have sent you a private message 

1. No, however, anything going forward at this time, if you wish to negotiate a continuation of Digital Cable, will be based on you personally.  

2. Digital Cable is no longer "offered".  It will be discontinued "soon"  (rumoured to be around the end of 2023) and Ignite has been around for almost 5 years.  Digital Cable packages may be continued for some customers on a case by case basis.

3. @CommunityHelps  should be able to assist via PM (which is private and confidential), however, no digital package information will be posted as a source of information for you or for others.  Rogers can barely keep up with all the changes for IgniteTV, much less waste time updating information for something that is no longer "offered" and will be discontinued.

I plan to stick around

Digital cable television is no longer being offered?  It will be discontinued soon?  While I do agree with you that the Ignite platform is something that Rogers is moving customers to, the fact is that existing customers for traditional digital cable television still exist; and thus they should be provided with an elementary level of service by knowing what packages exist.  If the service is being retired then retire it, but if it is still being supported then customers should not be kept in the dark and should not have to jump through hoops on public forums to obtain this information (when their customer service representatives are not knowledgeable and are unresponsive).  This is an example of how not to conduct business and a reason why customers leave for other providers or entertainment options.

Wasting time?  I sure hope that I am not wasting anyone's time.  We have been with Rogers for a very, very long time, and if this request is perceived as wasting their (or your time) then that is very telling.  We are talking about a service that is currently being offered and, as such, should be supported when customers have questions.  While I appreciate you taking the time to respond and provide advice, the tone in your response is not very positive and does not answer the question that was posted.  The wait continues for someone from Rogers to respond, either here in these forums or through a private message.

@422151819119 wrote:

1.  If the service is being retired then retire it...

2.  if this request is perceived as wasting their (or your time) then that is very telling. 

3. We...should be supported when customers have questions. 

4. ... the tone in your response is not very positive and does not answer the question that was posted. 

5. The wait continues for someone from Rogers to respond, either here in these forums or through a private message.

1. It takes time to migrate millions of customers from one platform to another.  Almost 5 years so far and probably another 1-2 years depending on location, MDUs, etc.

2. Your request is not wasting any time, however, developing a response as you have requested on the web or in this forum would likely be a waste of time since so few people would benefit from it and it would take away from the "more important" work that needs to be online (80/20 rule/Pareto Principle).

3. And you are, but perhaps not in the way you would like.  A PM to @CommunityHelps would go a long way to you having your information.

4. Sorry, I don't have access to the information you want, however, I was attempting to explain how things work.

5. Again, a PM to @CommunityHelps would ensure that you get a response.  @CommunityHelps rarely PM without you contacting them first, however, it has happened...

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around
You won’t find it anywhere on the website as it no longer sold! You will eventually go wireless also. I don’t think there is a provider out there that sells digital tv anymore

I plan to stick around

As already mentioned in this discussion, while the service is not available to new customers, it is a service that is actively being offered to existing customers, and something that Rogers sells as a subscription service.  As this is the case, those existing customers would not be out of line to ask for elementary information -- which for some reason is actively being hidden.

I plan to stick around

As I've not heard back from anyone representing Rogers on this topic, including @CommunityHelps (who was also messaged privately), I was able to obtain the information myself from my own contact at Rogers; and was provided with a set of electronic documents that outline the packages and their channels for digital cable television subscribers.

This experience, however, has been quite surprising.  For a billion Dollar organization to not have such information somewhere on their site for their existing customers; their customer service representatives not to be knowledgeable on the subject; and for these forums being of little value when engaging Rogers on questions has been an interesting experience.  At a time when we have so many entertainment options, including numerous streaming options, it makes one think whether the idea of subscribing to a television service is a waste of time, and instead opt in to subscribing directly with content providers.

@422151819119 wrote:

... those existing customers would not be out of line to ask for elementary information -- which for some reason is actively being hidden.

It's not hidden. Digital cable packages have simply not been updated on the web because:

1. Digital Cable is not available to new customers.

2. Any package would be negotiated on a case by case basis.

3. It's been years since Digital Cable Packages have been available on the Website.

4. Rogers people have better things to do with their time.

@422151819119 wrote:

... it is a service that is actively being offered to existing customers, and something that Rogers sells as a subscription service. 

It is not actively being "offered", nor is it being "sold". It is reluctantly being extended to some customers on a case by case basis. Many current digital cable customers cannot get digital cable extended, depending on their existing package, what they want, etc.  They are offered IgniteTV or nothing (go to another provider)

Is there any reason you resist sending a PM to @CommunityHelps ?

pdi
I've been here awhile

I had my digital tv/internet service bundle promotion extended in June 2022 for a year.  But when I called today for another renewal, it was no deal... either take Ignite service or pay a new inflated price for existing digital bundle.  Rogers tries to make it sound like they're giving me the same service/features in Ignite as I currently have, but neglect to mention how many TV channels I will be losing by switching, unless I want to pay substantially more per month.  The option "to go to another provider" isn't much of a choice, since Ontario is really a duopoly in many regions at this point.  It's very disappointing that after 15+ years, Rogers is prepared to let existing customers go rather than keep them by extending their current digital service.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pdi : Here are my comments:

1. Promotions are just that - a limited time offer.  At the end of any promotion regular pricing kicks in.  

2. In addition to that, Rogers is encouraging people to switch to IgniteTV since Legacy Digital Cable is ending, therefore the Legacy pricing reflects that.  IgniteTV has now been around for 5 years and Rogers simply can't afford to keep both running in parallel, hence, Legacy Digital Cable is ending (rumoured to be the end of this year)

3. IgniteTV usually has a discounted package available for you, but the discounts are not as much as they used to be, depending on which package you negotiate, which other services you have with Rogers, etc.

4. I was on Legacy Digital Cable Premier, plus Internet, plus Home Phone and switched to IgniteTV Premier with Internet and Home Phone.  Although the package was more than I had been paying, it was less than I would have been paying to continue on Digital Cable.

5. When I looked at the channels that I actually watched, rather than counting all the channels available, I found it very easy to get all the channels I wanted taking into account the Flex channels available to me.  Actually, with Flex, I ended up with some new channels that I didn't have with Legacy Digital Cable.  Of course, each person is different and you'll need to do your research on which package you want, what Flex channels are available, etc.

6. Other than a small increase in price, I'm very happy with my new package which contains all the channels I want (and more), along with faster Internet and similar Home Phone.

7. Be aware that channels like PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox are part of the "prime time pack" and cost $3 total, but you need to look into your overall cost to do a fair comparison.

8. Good Luck with your research and negotiations.

9.  Once you've done most of your research, I suggest you PM the mods at @CommunityHelps and they can finalize things with you.

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

P.S. Although there are some minor items that IgniteTV doesn't have (like TV call display), IgniteTV is far superior in every other respect once you give it a chance.

I plan to stick around

As from my previous postings, I echo your opinion. I was amazed that customer service folks had no knowledge -- at all -- about digital cable television service and packages. (This, of course, is not only on telephone or chat, but also on these forums, where they are unable to answer elementary questions from customers, tell us to send private messages, and never provide an answer that will benefit the community on these forums.) The behaviour is clear: aggressively push existing customers from digital cable television onto the new Ignite platform; while being completely clueless about its technological disadvantages.

As a professional organization, Rogers should be able to provide existing customers with elementary information as it pertains to their current services. If you are going to retire those services, then make an organizational announcement and do it, but until that time, they should be knowledgeable and be able to answer questions from customers on those services. Unfortunately, the customer service folks are just provided with information on the Ignite platform.

@pdi: I suggest that you call them again, tell them that as a long-time customer you prefer digital cable television over the Ignite platform (for technological reasons that customer service representatives would not be qualified to understand), and ask them for their best offer. If the person that you are dealing with is unable to assist, ask for someone that is able to help. As the service is still being offered there is no reason at all why they would not be able to provide you with an equivalent or better deal than you are currently enjoying. Sadly, sometimes you may have to tell them that you will leave for another provider, in which case, most of the time, they will end up providing you with an offer that they should have in the first place without having wasted your time.

It is astounding the game that Rogers plays sometimes, the level of unprofessional that comes off when they deal with their customers, and the lack of knowledge from their customer service support team; and during those times we often think whether it is worth keeping traditional television services in lieu of cutting the cord, as they say, and enjoying subscription streaming services instead.  An interesting case study, that's for sure.

I plan to stick around

While your responses are appreciated, they do come off as salesman-ish sometimes. Consider reading the concerns of someone that posts and relating to those concerns instead of attempt to sell them on signing on to the Ignite platform. While Ignite is an exciting technology that will shape the future of television, understand that there are customers that have been with Rogers for a long time that would enjoy using traditional digital cable television service while it is being offered. Furthermore, as a Rogers Community Resident Expert, it would be nice if you did not tell customers that their concerns would be a waste of time for Rogers to respond, just like you would not someone to tell you that your responses are a waste of time.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 8 in conversation