cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home monitoring camera

bashorund
I'm here a lot

Hello
I just installed the home monitoring system and having issues with camera. When I select it on key pad it's takes too long to show up. It's buffering for like five mins. When I select on my phone I get message calculating route to camera. The technician but an extender but still having problems. Any suggestion pls? The camera not working is a deal breaker

***Edited Labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: Home monitoring camera

If you are looking for a 24/7 monitoring type camera, you would be best to not go with any of the alarm company ones.  Generally they are not great for this.

You would be much better going with a full blown separate stand alone DVR based camera system.

kimmal
I plan to stick around

Couple of questions on this:

1. I just bought a microSD card and put it in the system for continuous taping.  I assume that the only way to view the taped video is to put the card in a laptop/pc and view it with a media player

2. You say that it's a known issue and you've accepted it.  Does that mean I should remove any rule related to that specific camera?

Thanks,

Allan

Hello, @kimmal

I can appreciate your inquiry regarding the 24/7 recordings on the Touchscreen. 😃

The Touchscreen encrypts the data that is recorded on the card so that only it can read it. You cannot view any of the recordings directly from the SD card and it is not recommended to remove it from the Touchscreen. If you must remove the SD card please ensure you disable the 24/7 recording feature and then remove the card.

To view the recordings you will have to insert a USB drive and then download the recordings to the USB. This is the only way to get an unencrypted version of the video file. Insert a USB drive into the right side of the Touchscreen. From the Touchscreen press on the Camera widget, then press on View Recorded Video, then in the top right corner you should see a watermarked Save to USB. Follow the steps on screen to download content to your USB drive.

With regards to your second inquiry, I have tested this on my system and I am unable to replicate this issue. It may not be affecting all users. If this is affecting you, please send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can escalate this for you.

Not familiar with our Private messaging system? No problem, Click Here.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

kibosh
I plan to stick around

I can also confirm that my system stops recording as well.  I have noticed this on three separate occasions over the past 6 months or so.  The first was because a police officer wanted to know if my camera captured a road rage assault in front of my house . . . I said sure let me check my recordings only to find it hadn't been recording anything for months . . . super embarrassing!

Just today, I went to check my history and the last recording was from Dec 13.  There are no warnings or messages of any kind to indicate recordings have ceased.  I have replaced the card but that is definitely not the issue.  Today when I tried to re-enable recording, the touchpad asked me to insert a SD card which was already inserted.  I had to reboot the touchscreen and was able to re-enable recording.  I do have a rule in place to save a 15 second clip on motion and just removed it to see if that helps.

naaanan
I've been here awhile

Hello 

What capacity, format does the touchscreen support for USB drives in order to transfer video? Is there a specific brand preferred for this feature?

Hello, @naaanan

Thanks for posting your inquiry in our Community! 🙂

You can use any USB drive to download the video files. It's recommended to use one that is close to the capacity of the SD card used. Ideally, a 64 GB USB drive would be big enough to capture the entire contents of the SD card.

You can select the length of the video clip so it's not a requirement to use a 64 GB USB drive, just a suggestion.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Delete sensor videos for good

I have deleted all the videos off my app but its still saying the recording are full and won't record. How do I fix this?

Thank you for any help you could provide!

Hello, @Stephietca

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I understand how important it is to be able to record events inside of your home so you can see what's happening even when you aren't there.

There are specific daily quotas for the video clip and picture recordings as part of your rules. It is 100 Videos / 400 Pictures per day, do you recall if you had more than those in a single day when the recordings stopped taking? You could upgrade to a higher Video & Picture Storage option which would give you 600 videos / 1000 pictures per day.

Did you know, you also have the option to record 24/7 for up to 1-week of HD quality video from a single camera? The data is stored locally on the Touchscreen via a 64 GB Class 10 Micro SD Card or full-sized SD card depending on the model of your Touchscreen.

We look forward to your response.

RogersTony

DaxiFixi
I've been here awhile
Hi all,

We installed our system for the first time yesterday. The cameras seemed to work fine during the day (we have Day/Night HD), but they started acting up at night. The issue wasn't happening all the time, so it is not about the placement behind the glass (Rogers cannot install them outdoors yet), but occasionally red lights on the sides of the lens turn on and it seems like that is when the issue is present. Not sure if the camera loses focus then or whatever happens, but all we can see are multiple lights on the screen. If you come right in front of the camera, you will show up in the app, but other than that - nothing. The issue was on and off last night, but mostly on.
I have photos, but it is not giving me an option to upload a photo on my phone. Wondering if anyone had issues with this, because it kind of beats the purpose.

2. I see nobody complained yet because it might be normal, but is it indeed normal for a day/night HD camera to display a complete dark unless there is a light turned on nearby? Looks like we will have to keep the lights on all night in the front yard for the camera to work (once we figure out the lights issue).

Thank you in advance.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @DaxiFixi

Whomever told you that the cameras can not be installed outside? Is wrong. I have 3 Day and night 5 (black model ones) outside. Back, driveway and front. They are also meant to be outside too. I had them outside in -30 degree weather in Toronto back in 2013-2014.

Also it seems to be a flare acting up on the lense with the glass window. I had this issue with my Arlo camera until I moved it.

My day and night cameras have night vision which show a small patch of light when there isn’t any outside. Take for example my driveway. There is no light but the night vision turns on at night and it shows a small part of the driveway the half the car and side entrance.

Have you contacted Rogers SHM tech support to see if they can get a tech out to see what’s going on?

DaxiFixi
I've been here awhile
Hey Meowmix,

I really appreciate you responding. I should have mentioned that they are not able to install the cameras outdoors due to COVID. They will do it when they are allowed to.

I hope the glare issue goes away when we have them installed outside.

When the lights are off, you cannot see anything outside, unless you come right in front of the camera.

Let's hope these are just the placement issues. We will reach out to the support; I wasn't sure if they were available at night, in order to troubleshoot during the call.

Thank you again.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @DaxiFixi

Yes that's correct. The only time they will come is if the system not all working or there is a cable issue ( cable wiring).

The glares should go away once it's moved. Have you tried cleaning the lens as well? Just incase it's dirty and whatnot.

Sometimes it may only show a bit of light because remember these cameras do NOT show alot in the dark. If you get high end cameras then yes ( which Supermarkets us and some stores). However the Rogers cameras do not give you much Night life visibility. Only a bit which for me as I am in a bungalow it shows well. Also it depends where the camera is placed too. If it's in a 2 story house and u put it high up? It may not give u much light during night mode.

Hopefully when they reach out they can fix it / when someone can come and place the cameras outside for u!

I just had a system put in . We have one camera in the back of our house. I came in the front door and set the alarm off by accident. The camera in the back of the house took 5 still pictures. Was this caused by me setting off the alarm at the front of my house?

kimmal
I plan to stick around

More than likely yes.  I believe when alarms are triggered the cameras automatically take pictures.  You can also check your automation to see if you have one setup that takes pictures on a certain event

Topic Stats